To Grandmother's House We Go…

I took a roadtrip to Philadelphia this weekend for a cousin’s wedding and, of course, did some shopping along the way. Grandma’s house was my first stop. Now my Gram is definitely not your average 82 year old; she teaches yoga classes, has a great outlook on life, and fabulous style. Luckily for me, she was my size for most of her life and some of my favorite pieces have come from her closet. This time I left with an incredible tweed-y swing coat that she made herself from a Vogue pattern in the 1960′s!

I also hit up a few thrift stores and found this vintage whale ash tray. It’s almost as big as Winston’s head!

Can’t really tell in these pictures, but the text on the front reads “For a whale of a guy” – how perfectly clever.

Susan

About Susan

Susan's all-time favorite things include pugs, eating outdoors, and absurd mushroom-themed housewares. Her current obsessions include nail polish, wedges, and anything high-waisted. Her ultimate style icon is her grandma, and she's one of the founders of ModCloth!

0 Responses to To Grandmother's House We Go…

1. Arianna 10/24/2007 at 3:46 pm #

That whale is incredible! Can its mouth be propped open, or will it permanently shut? I’d use it as a ring holder…

2. heather 10/24/2007 at 3:54 pm #

winston and the whale are adorable!!

and your grandma must be amazing with the sowing machine, the swing coat looks awesome!

3. Lauren 10/24/2007 at 3:57 pm #

I absolutely adore that ashtray!

4. Kat 10/24/2007 at 5:08 pm #

Winston looks like he’s about to get swallowed whole.

5. Jaimie 10/24/2007 at 6:44 pm #

I love that jacket!! My grandma’s closet is a goldmine too. I have a lovely blue silk damask jacket with silver buttons, and a nice plaid two piece suit with a pencil skirt (among other things) that I treasure. The nice thing is we were the same dimensions–and my grandma was a classy dame back in the day–still is!!!

6. Amy 10/24/2007 at 7:20 pm #

wow that jacket is amazing! I love it, and I wish I had something like it. and that whale ashtray, what a great find!

7. Cyd 10/25/2007 at 1:14 pm #

That is the most amazing ash tray I’ve ever seen ahahaha

8. Susan 10/25/2007 at 3:20 pm #

Arianna: The mouth stays permanently open. I’m really glad you suggested using it as a ring holder, I don’t smoke so I wasn’t sure what to do with it other than putting it on a shelf and looking at it.

Heather: Thanks! I wish I had the patience for sewing – she’s tried to teach me a few times with no success.

Lauren & Cyd & Amy: So glad you like it! :)

Jaimie: Sounds like your grandma and mine should hang out… seems like they’d get along. That jacket and the two piece suit sound incredible!

9. Lisa 10/27/2007 at 9:15 pm #

That ashtray is amazing!

10. Lanx 08/07/2008 at 3:45 am #

Is the whale’s mouth too big or winston’s face too small? Cause that ashtray can actually eat up winston’s face!