Why Vintage?

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Sometimes when I tell people what I do for a living – “I sell vintage and vintage inspired fashion online” – I get a mixed reaction.

“So… you sell used clothing? Something that someone else has worn before?”

As if it’s a bad thing. For me, part of the appeal of vintage is the history. I like imagining the stylish working woman of the ’40s who wore that 2 piece suit or the disco diva in the ’70s who bought that maxi dress for a night out.

One of my favorite necklaces is a vintage locket that I found at a Goodwill for a few dollars. Besides being incredibly beautiful and ornate, it still has pictures of the previous owner’s kids (or maybe grandkids) in it and, for me at least, it really adds charm.

Vintage Locket

So now I want to know… why do you wear vintage?

Susan

19 Responses to Why Vintage?

1. Rose G 10/25/2007 at 7:29 pm #

That locket is the kind of find I’ve always wanted to come across! Although I did come close once and found a monogramed heart-shaped pin for a woman signed with love from a man on the back. I would have bought it if only I had cash at the time. What bad luck! I still regret not taking that pin home with me.

I scour boxes and cases of jewelery and accessories at second hand and vintage stores because I’m hoping to make a great find. Something that was clearly loved very much by its previous owner, but was sold for one reason or another. Especially things that belonged to a child who has now grown and sold their old toys or perhaps an elderly woman who passed away whose children sold most of her things.

I’m determined to find an old engagement ring at a second hand store! One day… :)

2. Kat Shabell 10/25/2007 at 8:54 pm #

I wear vintage because, although i’m a gothy-spooky-rockabily-punky-indie freakchild on the outside, on the inside, my soul resides somwhere between 1890 and 1960.

In a worlf full of labels and trends, vintage is the “real me”.

3. aimZ 10/25/2007 at 11:50 pm #

I wear and save vintage items of my Grandma’s and Great Aunt’s because it makes me feel a connection to them.

One of my favorite pieces of jewelry I wear almost daily is a bracelet I made with crystals from a necklace of my Grandma’s. I had enough beads to make bracelets for my 3 daughters, too. I plan to give them to the girl’s on their wedding day.

4. Ellie 10/26/2007 at 12:54 am #

I wear vintage because I love wearing something that nobody else has. Anyone can go into Target and buy the same old T-Shirt, but the selfish part of me loves the look of disappointment ( and the smug feeling I get) when somebody compliments my outfit and asks where I got it, and I tell them it’s vintage.

5. Jessica Hood 10/26/2007 at 8:57 am #

what a cool locket!!!

6. Korrie 10/26/2007 at 9:22 am #

I wear vintage because it’s timeless. If you can find a good vintage piece that will look good now, someone loved it then and you will love it forever. Trends come and go and I tend not to follow them. What’s the point of becoming attached to a dress that you can’t wear “next season”? I wear what I want, and not what the current trend dictates. I also hate walking by someone that’s wearing something I own. It makes me lose the feeling that it’s mine.

7. Susan 10/26/2007 at 11:38 am #

Thanks for the input, ladies!

Rose: That pin sounds pretty incredible. There’s nothing worse than being at a cash-only thrift store or estate sale with no money. I hope you find your engagement ring someday – don’t lose faith! Thrifting dreams can come true :)

Kat: I totally understand. If only we had a time machine…

aimZ: That is so sweet – I’m sure your daughters will really appreciate it.

Ellie: I have that selfish part too :)

Jessica: Thanks!

Korrie: What a great reason. I’m a huge subscriber to the “wear what you want” philosophy.

8. lillian! 10/26/2007 at 1:24 pm #

hi susan!! i love the new stuff – i am itching for those button ankle boots, and since im teaching, that apple sweater or a cute dress! i love vintage because of its unique look- i prefer not to look like everyone else out there, ya know? and vintage can have a very flattering look without being ‘over the top’ like so much other stuff….
    kisses to winston!!

9. maya 10/26/2007 at 6:35 pm #

i love the idea that whatever i am wearing has a story behind it and someone loved it. I guess i always look for my own great find….and yes, i like feeling unique….wearing vintage makes me happy :)
    the best present i ever got was a pair of earrings that belonged to my friends grandmother…they didnt cost her anything but they meant more than any other gift could have

10. Kaitlin 10/26/2007 at 11:22 pm #

I, too, love the history & mystery behind my favorite vintage finds! I have a great white faux-fur jacket that fits like a glove and has as much attitude as the mod silver buttons on the front. I love picturing the 60s Edie-like girl who wore it before me, strutting her stuff in her fabulous white fur and black leggings!
    I also love vintage because some of my favorite pieces have come from my own family. My mother died about 3 years ago and I feel so lucky to have received some of her vintage belongings. She used to wear a necklace with a copper St. Jude pendant and pray with it every night before bed. Now I wear it everyday and feel that it keeps me a little bit closer to her in my own way. Vintage finds like that are the most stylish of all!

11. stephanie t 10/27/2007 at 2:18 am #

that necklace is amazing!

I grew up wearing vintage clothes. I played dress up in my great-grandmother’s hats from the ’40s and ’50s and my grandmother’s ’60s dresses. I always loved old things and started hunting vintage and thrift stores for great finds in high school. It’s finding awesome seemingly one-of-a-kind things for a bargain that keeps me hunting. Some of my favorites include a pink sequin cocktail dress, a complete set of ’70s diy encyclopedias, and a lime green art deco bowl.

12. Katie 10/28/2007 at 10:13 am #

I agree, one of the appeals of vintage is the history attached. they’re artifacts. another really satisfying thing for me is the idea of reusing rather than constantly putting more stuff out there. i often buy things even if i just really like the fabric they’re made of just so that i can turn them into something else. if they’re tiny they become pockets or patches. if they’re big, the possibilities are endless.

13. Kristin 10/29/2007 at 8:35 am #

I agree with everyone on the appeals of vintage, the unique, the history, the quality, and the reduction of waste, it all resonates with me. I also like finding vintage patterns and making myself something that is beautiful.
    I also love the locket, it’s simply stunning!

14. Ana 10/29/2007 at 9:09 am #

I love your locket! I wish I’ll find something as special in my vintage searchs someday!

15. Emo 10/30/2007 at 9:36 am #

not only is the history appealing, i also love the individuality of it! in a world filled with labels and mass fashion, it’s always fun when someone comes up to you and says they love something you’re wearing and you can tell them a little story behind it!

16. Mo 10/30/2007 at 10:37 am #

I wear vintage simply because it looks better and more distinctive, and usually wears better and lasts longer, than new clothes do. Well loved clothes are usually more comfortable too!

17. Diane 10/30/2007 at 2:00 pm #

They just don’t make ‘em like they used to. It’s true of almost everything, including clothing. Take that locket, for example. Was it made by eight-year-old girls in a sweatshop in China? Was it forged from the cheapest lead-laced materials available? Probably not. Vintage clothing represents a standard in craftmanship that simply isn’t present in the modern world.
    I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but I’m sure “Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster” by Dana Thomas explores this concept in detail.

18. Ali 10/30/2007 at 4:18 pm #

I guess I wear vintage for a few reasons – the reason I buy so many second hand clothes at the moment is because I’m a student and I always want new clothes but have no money – now I could go and by cheap clothes from a number of stores that just sell copies of everything in the more expensive shops – but then I’d look the same as everyone else. I don’t wanna do that.

19. Kandra 12/15/2009 at 1:36 pm #

Are you selling this locket above? It is beautiful. Please let me know. I wear vintage for many reasons. Vintage was made, at that time to last. Even their inexpensive fashion jewelry was made with care. My grandmother just passed about a month and a half ago, God rest her soul. She had the most interesting vintage jewerly, clothes, scarfs, ect. You can’t find things like that anymore. Vintage never truly goes out of style. Whenever I wear vintage, I always get compliments. Now when I buy jewelry I try to get something that looks similar to vintage. Something priceless and unique. If you are selling that necklace, please email me at kandrahanchar@yahoo.com or call at 312.532.0863. Thanks, Kandra