Fashion + Math

Being a buyer is certainly glamorous. Who wouldn’t love to travel to new cities and shop all day? But there’s plenty of not-so-glamorous work that goes into preparing for buying trips: calculations of sell-through rates, order quantities, trend predictions, competitor research and so on. Basically, lots of sitting behind a computer and lots of doing math, definitely not my favorite things. But it’s an important part of my job and it helps me make better decisions. In fact, you can help too! What are you looking for this Spring? Anything that you can’t live without? Let me know and we’ll do our best to find it. Personally, I can’t stop thinking about boat shoes ever since I saw a whole page dedicated to them in a recent issue of Teen Vogue. And yes, I am a 23 year old who reads (and loves!) Teen Vogue and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

So, what do you think?

Susan

About Susan

Susan's all-time favorite things include pugs, eating outdoors, and absurd mushroom-themed housewares. Her current obsessions include nail polish, wedges, and anything high-waisted. Her ultimate style icon is her grandma, and she's one of the founders of ModCloth!

11 Responses to Fashion + Math

1. Kenzie 02/06/2008 at 12:32 pm #

Shoes shoes shoes! Sweaters Sweaters Sweaters! Bags Bags Bags!

:D

2. Susan 02/08/2008 at 1:08 pm #

Kenzie, I’m happy to say that we will definitely have you covered in the “shoes” category – we bought a ton! :)

3. Danielle 02/09/2008 at 10:57 am #

Bomber jackets!! Shoes!! Dresses!! and necklaces!! :)

4. Dad 02/11/2008 at 12:29 am #

Sperry Gold Cup are the best. I wear them for casual dress. The Sperry sneaker type goes on the boat all of the time. They will be in Venezuelan Amazon jungle this week!!

5. elise 02/12/2008 at 10:28 pm #

pea coats :D
    i absolutely love them but i havent gotten one yet…

6. Rachel 02/14/2008 at 2:20 am #

dresses, swimwear, necklace stands/trees and other jewelry storage, please.

7. Becki 02/20/2008 at 7:26 pm #

To be perfectly honest.
    REALLY CUTE summer dresses.
    Me and my friend are thinking about making ones for ourselves but i’m not exactly amazing with the needle and thread and would rather buy one…
    so yeah, summer dresses would be amazing :)
    just a suggestion.

xx

8. Emily Atkinson, London 02/21/2008 at 11:46 am #

Definitely agree with Becki; more dresses.

Just bought this gorgeous vintage check dress from ebay and I am thinking there definitely should be more things like this in the world;

9. Susan 02/23/2008 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Becki and Emily: I’m with you! Summer dresses just make the season so much better, don’t they? We have a few on the way that I’m really excited for, hopefully you’ll like them too!

And Emily, that vintage dress is so cute – good find!

10. Rachel yvette 03/05/2008 at 7:21 pm #

:) just to put my two cents in…. vintage swimwear! im defintely in the market for a super cute/sassy one piece!
    love you guys!
    xoxo

11. Susan 03/05/2008 at 7:24 pm #

Rachel – it’s funny you should mention that because, as fate would have it, the UPS guy just brought us the cutest one piece ever! It’ll be a few days until it’s up on the site, but definitely check back soon.