Yard Sale Heaven

Each year, Pittsburgh’s Highland Park neighborhood hosts a huge community yard sale where everyone brings their trash out to front yards and porches in the hopes that it will become someone else’s treasure. It only happens on one day of the whole year and yesterday was that day. This was my first time at the sale and let me tell you, it was glorious.

Of course there was the standard yard sale fare: trinkets, piles of records, patriotic mirrors…

Yard Sale Stuff

Here are my finds:

1. A vintage wrap skirt with the cutest horse and apple print ever ($3)
2. A vintage Etienne Aigner leather envelope clutch ($5)
3. A petite vintage leather across body bag, perfect for going out dancing ($.50)
4. A children’s book (free)

The book is called “If You’re Afraid of the Dark Remember the Night Rainbow”. It’s the most psychedelic kid’s book I’ve ever seen- there’s a definite Yellow Submarine vibe. Check out some of the illustrations…

Psychedelic Illustrations

…I think I might frame a few for the house. All in all, a good haul!

Susan

About Susan

Susan's all-time favorite things include pugs, eating outdoors, and absurd mushroom-themed housewares. Her current obsessions include nail polish, wedges, and anything high-waisted. Her ultimate style icon is her grandma, and she's one of the founders of ModCloth!

13 Responses to Yard Sale Heaven

1. Michelle 06/02/2008 at 4:31 pm #

oh god

i want that mirror in the first strip

2. Nina 06/02/2008 at 4:47 pm #

Ha, I have that book! Somewhere…
    A family friend gave it to me when I was about 7. Now I wanna go find it!

3. Marie 06/03/2008 at 3:34 pm #

I love the little leather bag!

4. Marie 06/03/2008 at 3:35 pm #

I love the little leather bag! And the children’s book is quite interesting.

5. Jennifer 06/03/2008 at 11:18 pm #

I want that skirt!
    (the book looks cool, too)

6. Susan 06/04/2008 at 1:10 pm #

Thanks everyone!

Michelle: Glad you like it! I considered buying it, but then decided that I didn’t want to carry it around all day.
    Nina: I can’t believe that you have the book too! I guess the internet really is a big place :)
    Marie & Marie: Thanks!
    Jennifer: I’m not sure if I’m going to keep the skirt yet, so it might actually be for sale here at ModCloth sometime soon. Keep your eyes peeled!

7. KiMiii 06/05/2008 at 2:56 pm #

uhhhhh cutie illustrations!

8. Rachel 06/05/2008 at 3:58 pm #

Great Finds!

My grandma went through my Great-Aunt’s closet and gave me a few things she found, including two vintage purses and a vintage kimono. I wanted to show them to you, I think you’d appreciate them. They’re gorgeous!!

There’re pictures there.
    Let me know what you think!

9. Susan 06/06/2008 at 10:42 am #

KiMiii: Thanks! I’ll take pictures of some more pages soon and add them to our Flickr (www.flickr.com/modcloth)

Rachel: Thanks! Those really are incredible finds – and I’m loving the big floral print on the makeup bag! Your Great Aunt was super stylish.

10. Chris 08/07/2008 at 2:37 pm #

I have that mirror. I don’t consider it patriotic, just a classy way to look at myself.

11. Jen 08/07/2008 at 2:48 pm #

We have that mirror! And want to get rid of it SO badly. Michelle, it’s all yours!

12. Juliet 08/08/2008 at 11:34 pm #

Wow! I used to have that book & I forgot ALL about it. I wish I could find it & read it again.

13. Jo 11/08/2008 at 12:53 pm #

I definitely used to read that book as a kid! It was a little weird. Now Im going to try and find it at my parents house when I go home for thanksgiving!