Project Runway: Where Are They Now?

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

By ModCloth Writer, Crystal Smith

Part II of Project Runway’s season finale airs tonight, and we’re celebrating by posting our one-on-one with a finalist who shares our love for vintage-inspired pieces: Kenley Collins!

Even though she’s had her moments of conflict in Season 5, Kenley has made some amazing and beautiful pieces. She recently took a few minutes to fill us in on what she’s been up to.

Kenley Collins wears a headpiece she designed and now sells on her website. Photo copyright of Bravo TV.com.

ModCloth: What have you been doing since the finale?

Kenley: I’ve been updating my website where you can buy my headpieces and dresses. And it should be up by next week! I also went back to teaching sewing. I love teaching!

(ModCloth note to readers: Kenley told us about her site a week ago, so it’s now up and running!)

MC: What was the most important thing you learned from the show?

Kenley: Don’t let anyone get to you. Stay strong and stay inspired. Do what YOU love.

Kenley’s design from the ‘Bright Lights,  Big City’  Challenge in Episode 3.  Photo copyright of BravoTV.com.

MC: Were there any funny or crazy behind-the-scenes moments that didn’t air in this season’s cuts?

Kenley: There was no time for crazy parties or anything, and we were all stressed and sleep-deprived. But any time we were in the van waiting for cameras to set up or driving to a destination and heard a good song on the radio, we would beg the driver to turn it up, so we could go crazy and sing and dance in our seats. It was refreshing for all of us, since we were all music-deprived as well.

MC: Where do you find your amazing clothes and accessories?

Kenley: I’ve been collecting vintage clothing for a long time, from all over. I make my hair accessories and they’re up for sale on my website!

MC: Who are some of your favorite designers?

Kenley: Coco Chanel, Betsey Johnson, and Edith Head.

A whimsical, vintage-inspired piece that’s currently sold out on Kenley’s site.  Photo copyright of kenleycollins.com.

MC: How long have you been designing?

Kenley: I’ve been professionally designing for three years, but I started designing when i was about 16.

MC: What are your future plans?

Kenley: Making money and being happy.

Good luck tonight, Kenley!

Here’s a sneak peek at one of her pieces that you’ll see tonight.

Our favorite piece from Kenley’s final collection. Photo copyright of BravoTV.com.

Next week: Season 3′s Alison Dahl!

12 Responses to Project Runway: Where Are They Now?

1. jill prem epler 10/16/2008 at 12:15 am #

DEAREST KENLEY, HI I AM ERICKA PREMS MOM, YOUR OLD CHEERLEADING COACH, JILL EPLER… I WATCHED THE FINAL SHOW WITH YOUR FAMILY AT BIG DADDYS! YOU AND YOUR COLLECTION ARE FABULOUS…IT’S NOT WHO WINS THAT MATTERS, OR HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME…BUT IT IS WHAT YOU DO AFTER THE GAME IS OVER…IF YOU ACT AS IF YOU WON… HOW WOULD YOU BE ACTING???? DIFFERENT?YOU WON IN MY BOOK….THEY HAVE TO KEEP THE VIEWERS HAPPY SO THEY SAID LEANNE BUT YOU KNOW YOU WON IN YOUR HEART……..SOOOO DO EXACTLY WHAT A WINNER WOULD DO… SMILE ALOT, BE CHEERFUL, GET AN AGENT TO HANDLE YOUR FAME, GET YOUR NAME AND LINE AVAILABLE FOR PRODUCTION AND GET OUT THERE AND SELL YOURSELF…BE ON TOP DESIGN…BE ON LOST…BE ON WHAT TO WEAR AS A SPECIAL GUEST..BE IN THE MACYS PARADE!!! NEVER SAY THE WORD LOOSE…YOU DIDN’T !!KEEP THAT SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND SAY AS FAR AS YOUR CONCERNED THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WAS WIN, WIN, WIN SITUATION FROM THE VERY BEGINNING TONS OF PEOPLE SAW YOUR DESIGNS AND I BELIEVE SOMEONE IS GOING TO FUND A WHOLE NAME BRAND FOR YOU SO U BETTER THINK OF A NAME…THE KENLEY GIRL..WE LOVE YOU AND ARE PRAYING FOR YOU…ERICKA PREM & JILL EPLER

2. jill prem epler 10/16/2008 at 12:24 am #

HI KENLEY
    LOVED THE WHOLE SEASON NEVER MISSED A SHOW …HOPE TO SEE YOU HOSTING A DESIGNER SHOW YOU ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD!! ERICKA PREM & JILL EPLER

3. Susan 10/16/2008 at 4:32 pm #

Great interview Crystal! I totally love her headpieces.

4. Joe 10/16/2008 at 7:27 pm #

Kenley, if you see this I was rooting for you!

5. Lisa 10/16/2008 at 10:23 pm #

I loved Kenley’s designs, especially the dress that you showed in your article. I would love to wear her designs!

6. Lisa 10/16/2008 at 10:25 pm #

I hope I can afford to buy one of them.

7. crystal 10/17/2008 at 11:01 am #

Me too, Lisa! They’re auctioning off her final collection on the Project Runway site right now, but I hope she makes a version of that beige dress for her own site. I want it so badly!

8. Allison S. 10/17/2008 at 4:56 pm #

anyone know what’s up with her website? it’s not working :( I really want to see her stuff for sale!

9. Eboni 10/24/2008 at 12:32 am #

Loved some of her looks during the course of the show and marveled at that wedding dress.

That “Keith Bryce-y” tude toward the end however…no.

10. Nicole 10/27/2008 at 2:21 pm #

Her attitude needs a complete overhaul.

11. Usesprussyvip 11/22/2008 at 11:27 pm #

XDf67JuDW54KJU65

12. Brittany Chipman 12/16/2008 at 5:48 pm #

wow kenley, i pray to God that you are happier now and a lot less bitter, rude and abrasive. your attitude was absolutely terrible and i hope you’re working through your issues that cause you to lash out at others and think that you’re actually better than everybody else.. whow, what huge ego you have and to think.. you haven’t even made it yet! (not that it’s a reason to have an ego as enormous as yours). peace and love to you kenley! ohm..