Style Icon: Carrie Bradshaw

All photos courtesy of hbo.com/city

Carrie Bradshaw is my ultimate style icon. I fell in love with SATC a few years ago, and through every episode, Carrie’s ensembles never ceased to amaze me.

Whether they were vintage, name brands, or a fabulous mixture of the two, Carrie’s fashion choices were matchlessly chic. And even though I know a whole team of people worked on her look, I am in awe of some of the pieces they put together.

Watching her sport a vintage Mickey Mouse tee with a white blazer, then change into a Balenciaga cocktail dress with ease inspired me to be more creative with my own style.

My most obsessive style icon imitation is: I have a nameplate necklace! I’ve had it since I was five, and rediscovered it in the back of my jewelry box last year. Now, I wear it with every v-neck possible.

And like Sari, I too have taken photos of my icon’s hair (season 5, to be exact) for my stylist to emulate. I’ve even attempted growing out my blonde highlights and creating nonchalant curls that never manage to  look quite as effortless as Carrie’s.

I must admit, I was a little disappointed that the movie featured so many big designers and so little vintage. In the series, Carrie always mixed the two and added an element of surprise to her outfits; but in the movie, her ensembles were a bit more boring…and expensive.

Even so, when I find myself in a dressing room debating about a purchase, I almost always ask myself, Would Carrie wear this? She made even the most outlandish ensembles seem timeless, which is a gift I admire. (and envy!)

9 Responses to Style Icon: Carrie Bradshaw

1. Rebecca 11/18/2008 at 4:25 pm #

i love carrie too!
    im sometimes worried when i put a mixture of things together that they might be too ‘mish mashed’ but i wear them anyway. i think thats what makes carrie great and impeccable, her confidence.

2. Lora 11/18/2008 at 7:43 pm #

She is absolutely my favorite and I am always told that I look like her – must be the nose, lol.

3. Jennifer 11/18/2008 at 7:51 pm #

Yes! abso-freakin-lutely she is a style icon, I think her fit bod and happy demeanor helped a lot too, not to mention lots of form fitting frocks.

4. Alexa 11/19/2008 at 3:23 pm #

She can pull off anything! It’s just the confidence she has!

5. Deeana 11/19/2008 at 3:24 pm #

I so completely agree! She’s fabulous and I love so many of her pieces. The suit she wore for her first day at Vogue made me green with envy and I loved her outfit for moving to paris.

6. Susan 11/19/2008 at 7:40 pm #

LOVE her. Great post Crystal!

7. Samantha 11/27/2008 at 1:07 am #

Ahh I agree, I couldn’t imagine anyone else being able to pull off those outfits and yet she made them look amazing, oh creativity and modeling at it’s best hehe.

8. Madalynn 12/08/2008 at 7:24 pm #

I definitely agree with you!
    She is what broke me out of my shell and made me want to dress however I wanted. She’ll look amazing in anything.

9. grave raven 08/01/2009 at 9:10 pm #

I think one of the most daring Carrie outfits was the halter top and skirt with the belt around her bare waist. It was quirky and fun, AND fashion-forward, although I doubt anyone else besides SJP could pull it off. Those abs are killer, ya know?