Mod DIY: Jewelry Organizers Part I

Mod DIY is a new weekly feature that will give you step by step instructions on creating unique pieces with vintage items.

For my first installment of Mod DIY, I really wanted to make a jewelry organizer! As a girl with too many pieces to keep track of, I needed a storage unit that I could keep out in the open to make it easier to select the perfect piece to match any outfit. I decided I had to create something that would be both functional and appealing enough for me to want to display it in my room. With a little trial and error, I created this jewelry frame display:

It’s great for holding your necklaces, bracelets and pins. Keep reading for pictures and instructions on how to make your own jewelry frame!

What you’ll need:

A frame with a back, paint, fabric, pearl pins, Duct Tape or a Staple Gun and staples, 1/2″-thick foam

I picked up this frame at a thrift store for $1. The fabric used for the silver frame is vintage, and the fabric used for the purple frame is a bedsheet!

1. Remove the art, glass and backing from the frame. Discard the glass and save the piece that fits in the frame.

2. Paint the frame. Here I used purple acrylic paint and then added a gloss finish after the paint had dried.

3. Take the cardboard (or wood) piece that you saved and lay it over the fabric you’re going to use. Cut out the fabric leaving a couple inches of a border outside the cardboard piece.

4. Using that same cardboard piece as a guide, lay it over the foam and trace the outline onto the foam. Cut out the piece of foam that matches the cardboard piece.

5. Lay the fabric down first, then the foam on top of it, then lastly the cardboard piece. Take the sides of the fabric and bring them to the back, securing them with either strong duct tape or use a staple gun.

6. Place the fabric covered foam piece back in the frame and secure it in place. (The frames I used have metal hinges to secure art, but you could also use duct tape again or a staple gun).

And here’s the finished frame. If you have any questions or comments please let me know. And if you make a frame, I’d love to see a picture of it! Email pictures to diy@modcloth.com !

About ModCloth

17 Responses to Mod DIY: Jewelry Organizers Part I

1. Maggie 01/07/2009 at 11:40 am #

Wow – I actually think I could make this…and I can’t make anything. Awesome!

2. Alicia 01/07/2009 at 11:51 am #

I second Maggie. I can barely operate scissors, but I am rather excited to try to make one of these over the weekend!! All of my jewelry is currently in a tangled mess at the bottom of a shoe box, and every time I want to wear a different necklace, I have to spend five minutes extracting it from five others. Thanks for the great idea, Liz!

3. Madalynn 01/07/2009 at 3:46 pm #

This is adorable! I think once I have a day off from school, or maybe over spring break, I’ll make this! Thanks!

4. Gina 01/07/2009 at 6:10 pm #

I love the new Mod DIY feature idea! Making things is so fun, but sometimes it’s tough to come up with something on your own. Thanks for the help!

5. Meredith 01/07/2009 at 6:39 pm #

This is great! I’m going to make one once I get back to school

6. Christinr 01/08/2009 at 2:09 am #

I absolutely love DIY yourself projects, but I always have trouble finding good ones or finding ones that aren’t too difficult or expensive. This is perfect because its easy, so cute, and definitely affordable. What a perfect addition to this already fabulous blog! I love you, modcloth!

7. Laura_loves_animals 01/08/2009 at 8:05 am #

Goooooorgeousssssssss!!!!!!! Mod DIY: a flash of creativity in this boring period of the year! Please, keep on suggesting us how to express our own creativity!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

8. Angela 01/08/2009 at 9:26 am #

This great idea gives me more great ideas, like collaging different scraps of fabric, including photos or magazine tear-outs, doing even more artistic things. My wheels are turning…
    Thanks!!

9. lucie beluga 01/08/2009 at 11:07 am #

once I’m done with my first quilt I’m absolutely doing one! thank you modcloth!

10. Emily 01/08/2009 at 6:41 pm #

This couldn’t have came at a better time. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with my old, tangled jewelry. Thanks modcloth for providing a solution, and one that won’t kill me with my clumsiness ine process. :]

11. Susan 01/08/2009 at 8:24 pm #

May I join in and say that I LOVE this idea? Unfortunately, I am the least crafty person ever, but I think that even I could pull this off…

12. denise 01/09/2009 at 2:14 pm #

I really love this idea too. Especially because i kinda hate jewelry boxes. Any fun DIY projects you can suggests for earrings? That’s what i have the most of, hence a big mess of earrings that are lying around/getting lost…

13. Liz 01/09/2009 at 3:03 pm #

Thanks everyone for the great comments – I’m so glad you like the new DIY feature! Denise I’ll be putting up a earring organizer project soon – hopefully you’ll love it :) And if anyone makes a frame or any other future project please send a picture to me (liz@modcloth). I’d love to see it!

14. Emma 01/23/2009 at 6:29 pm #

This is absolutely brilliant! I’ve been searching for something to do with all my bracelets and necklaces.

15. yooni 07/29/2010 at 11:10 pm #

i’ve been using a painted cork board to organize my jewelry in the same way. maybe i’ll try adding fabric over it this year.

16. Heather 11/02/2010 at 10:58 pm #

Thank-you, this is the easiest DIY organizer I have found and I have all of the parts needed already!

17. Brielle 01/09/2011 at 5:10 pm #

Oh my goodness!!! That is super-cute! Totally going to make that.