Top Ten Things We Still Want to Be When We Grow Up

Cirque du Soleil]

Working at ModCloth, we often feel like we’re living the dream … but that doesn’t mean we don’t still wistfully imagine what it would be like to wear a different hat for a day. Here are ten things we still think would be pretty cool to do for a living:

1. Travel Reporter. We can’t imagine a sweeter deal than getting paid to investigate different countries and cultures. If this interests you, too, be sure to check out Wayn.com, a social network designed to help people like us travel more often and connect with other people who like to do the same thing!

2.  Circus Performer. When asked what I wanted to do when I was in kindergarten, I always answered, “An acrobat.” At 25, I can barely do a cartwheel, but I can still enjoy a good performance:

3. Jane Goodall. Even if you’re not a fan of chimpanzees, wouldn’t it be neat to study the animal of your choice in their natural habitat? We think so! For now, at least we can donate to the cause.

Keep reading to find out more of our dream jobs!

4. Ice Cream Scientist. How awesome would it be to create ice cream flavors as your job? For now, we’ll have to settle for playing with all of the fun stuff on Ben & Jerry’s website, like the Flavor Generator.

Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream

5. Astronaut. NASA actually has a section on their website called “Astronaut Selection,” so if this is a dream of yours, check it out! Since 1959, only 231 astronauts have been selected from the thousands of applications that they receive each year.

6. Professional Video Game Tester. You have to be careful with this one, because there are alot of scams that claim that they will pay you to play video games from home, but will actually make you pay for them out of your pocket. However, testing video games is a legitimate profession, just ask Associated Content.

7. President of the United States of America. It’s a difficult job, but someone has to do it (and, some day, one of us will)!

8. Roller Coaster Designer AHHHHHHHHH!

mythemeparktickets.com

9. Professional Nose. That’s right. People get paid to sniff and provide feedback on fragrances and, according to SimplyHired.com, they make a pretty good living.

10. Drag Racer. Sure, it’s dangerous, but we bet it’s super-exhilarating to cross that finish line, especially if you’re this woman.

10 Responses to Top Ten Things We Still Want to Be When We Grow Up

1. Danielle 01/12/2009 at 2:19 pm #

The Circus! I wanted to go to “Clown College” when I was in high school, but it shut down during my Senior year – apparently there was a surplus of clowns in the late 90’s…. who knew!?

2. Lindsay 01/12/2009 at 2:31 pm #

Marine Biologist was my life’s dream until I was 15 or so. I love manatees.

3. Marne 01/12/2009 at 2:53 pm #

How awesome would it be to work with BABY PANDAS?!!!
    I still have time to go to panda school, right? :(

4. Madalynn 01/12/2009 at 3:11 pm #

I wanted to be a pastry chef up until a few years ago.
    Baking delicious pies and cakes, and decorating them!
    Lots of money for those who want the perfect wedding cake :)

5. Molly 01/12/2009 at 3:19 pm #

Food Critic!!! Fancy restaurants, free food…ahhhh, that would be so sweet!

6. Joe 01/12/2009 at 3:26 pm #

When I was about 6, I started telling everyone I was going to be a rock star in a band called “The Rock Bottoms”, which is a name I got from a grocery store advertising “Rock bottom prices”.

In 2nd grade I remember drawing the cover to our first album, which was a picture of me in my favorite striped shirt.

I’ve been an artist & designer ever since!!

7. lucie beluga 01/17/2009 at 3:04 am #

American writer (yeah I know that’s not likely to happen considering the fact I’m French and not close to marrying an American) to be able to win the Pullitzer (that sounds sooooo much better than the Nobel)

8. lucie beluga 01/17/2009 at 3:05 am #

other than that my other favorite things to become are in your list, ice cream scientist, nose, and last but not least astronaut (I wanted to be the first woman on mars ^^)

9. Susan 01/20/2009 at 12:37 am #

Oh man, I was obsessed with outer space when I was younger. Like Lucie, I also dreamed of being the first to walk on Mars! But I can’t complain… I love my job so much.

And Joe – The Rock Bottoms is possibly the best band name ever.

10. Apple Kitchen Decor 08/03/2009 at 3:38 pm #