Vasil's Guide to Style: The 2009 Golden Globes

This year’s Golden Globes showcased some of the very looks that Vasil predicted to be big this year. Beiges and nudes, blacks and whites, ruffles, oversized accessories and belted silhouettes flooded the red carpet at the star-studded award show, but there were a few looks that really caught our stylist’s eye (for one reason or another)! Without further ado, may I present Vasil’s ten favorite and least favorite 2009 Golden Globe looks:

Ten Favorite Looks

Keep reading to find out what looks Vasil loved…and hated!

Kate Winslet may claim to “[have] a habit of not winning things,” but not only did she pick up two Golden Globes, she also took first place in our picks for best- dressed. Her sleek Yves St. Laurent gown was elegant and flattering. Eva Longoria also wins high praise for her risky (but rewarding) choice of red (specifically, a red mermaid gown by Reem Acra) on the red carpet. Marisa Tomei scored extra points with us for her haute bohemian style; the combination of ruffles, oversized necklaces and lace sash created a look that was both unique and chic. Evan Rachel Wood always surprises us with her ever-changing looks, but this particular ensemble really blew us away; in a stunning gown by Elie Saab, Wood reminded us of an earth-bound goddess. Young star Kate Beckinsale made our list, too, for choosing a perfectly-fitted silhouette that showed off her lovely curves. We loved the earrings and bracelet, too! Not to be outdone by the younger ladies, Laura Linney looked stunning in a sunny one-shouldered gown. Many mature celebrities commented on the beauty of little Rumer Willis’ very gorgeous (and very grown-up) gown in a rich eggplant color that helped put to rest that old-fashioned notion that redheads can’t wear purple! The always-appealing Anne Hathaway made a splash with another colorful choice: a beautiful blue Armani dress. Megan Fox went for the gold in a gorgeous fitted gown and drop earrings – we almost didn’t notice her tattoos! Red-carpet-newcomer Elizabeth Banks also burned brightly in a gown by J.Mendel paired with oversized jewelry and a red-carpet worthy ‘do.

Ten Least Favorite Looks

Unfortunately, this shiny Marchesa gown overshadowed Jennifer Lopez’s natural beauty with a look that was a little too revealing and didn’t seem to fit. Another beauty that we think that didn’t look her best was Angelina Jolie; her loose-fitting dress came off frumpy and a little boring – we wanted to see more pizzazz (and a little more hairstyle)! We wish someone could convince Beyonce that she doesn’t have to wear tight, super-low-cut gowns to look sexy. Heidi Klum disappointed us, too, in a dress that resembled black bubble wrap and looked like a Project Runway reject (and what about those shoes?) Cameron Diaz’s oversized gown matched Drew Barrymore’s oversized hair – both lovely ladies failed to outshine these big mistakes. Eva Mendes‘ fitted Dior gown looked amazing, except for what CandyKirby.com referred to as a “built-in napkin” detail. Rachel Griffiths’ dress was in desperate need of a steamer, and cutie Jenna Fisher (who we love) looked more ready for a summer barbecue than the red carpet. Another ModCloth favorite, Maggie Gyllenhaal, looked sad and lost in printed Lanvin – a belt didn’t hide the fact that her dress didn’t seem to fit!!

You’ve seen the looks, now let us know: Do you agree with Vasil’s choices? Who were your favorites?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

15 Responses to Vasil's Guide to Style: The 2009 Golden Globes

1. Liz 01/14/2009 at 3:57 pm #

Vasil, what was the worst red carpet dress decision of all time, in your opinion?

2. Andrea 01/14/2009 at 4:58 pm #

I like Rumer Willis’ dress…but not on her. It needs to be hoisted up a bit. Also, I think that Angelina looks effortlessly beautiful. I really like that color with her dark hair; she’s just so pretty. Otherwise, I generally agree with your picks. I also thought that Freida Pinto looked stunning in that mustard gown.

3. Vasil 01/14/2009 at 5:46 pm #

Thanks for the question Liz.
    There have been MANY MANY inappropriate outfits I’ve seen on red carpets; however, one of the most memorable is Bjork’s “dress” at the 2001 Oscars.

Who’s your winner?

Andrea, I appreciate your comment.

4. Kate 01/14/2009 at 5:52 pm #

while I totally agree about Drew Barrymore’s hair, I adore her dress.

5. gran torito 01/15/2009 at 12:29 am #

i think that what is said in the post about beyonce also applies to eva longoria…

6. kImI 01/15/2009 at 10:57 am #

I agree with Andrea!I think that the 2 best dresses are Rummer Willis’ and Anne Hathaway’s,
    but I dont like the way it looks on Rummer.
    Drew’s hair are hilarious. They look like mine when i dry them with no brush and no time. Lionish!

7. Raquel 01/15/2009 at 12:45 pm #

I agree with everything except that secretly I loved Maggie’s look- and it’s funny because a lot of your “Bests” were on other websites’ “Worst” lists, and vice versa.

8. Emily 01/15/2009 at 1:39 pm #

Bjork? Come on, Vasil, you can do better than that!

9. Vasil 01/15/2009 at 2:03 pm #

Thank you all for leaving a comment.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; I love that we are having a discussion and disagree on some of the looks.

gran torito, besides the fact that both Beyonce and Eva Longoria’s dresses show some cleavage, I strongly disagree that my comments about Beyonce can be applied to Eva’s gown. The two dresses send completely different messages and the designs are hard to be compared.

Raquel, my styling tips and fashion commentaries are based purely on my own styling and design views. However, I cannot believe that Lopez, Jolie, Diaz, Fisher, and/or Gyllenhaal can make it into any best dressed list based on what they wore at the Golden Globes. I appreciate their talents; taking fashion risks are great, but unfortunately, I believe that none of them chose the right outfits.
    Again, thank you all

10. Cyndil 01/15/2009 at 6:56 pm #

I totally agree with you! I was looking at a couple other websites’ faves and flops and I thought all the ones that I (and you apparently) don’t like, they thought were gorgeous and innovative! I’m glad I’m not the only who thinks some of the stars need to get their stylist’s heads checked!

11. Slightly Confused 01/16/2009 at 6:01 am #

Is it just me or does these dresses relatively all look the same?

12. lucie beluga 01/17/2009 at 3:00 am #

I admit I’m back on agreeing with your top ten list Vasil! Oh how I wish I could wear one of those! especially the risky bohemian style which I find feminine with a classy masculine touch. I also really like Anne Hathaway’s, is she ever wrong on a red carpet?

13. Vasil 01/17/2009 at 12:54 pm #

lucie beluga: Thank you for your comment. Your description of Marisa Tomei’s outfit is the exact reason why she made it into my top 10 list.
    Also, in my opinion Anne Hathaway is one of the younger generation film stars who is never playing safe; she is not afraid to wear whatever she likes and feels passionate about. Therefore, she is one of the people I always look for on any red carpet events.
    However, as much as I agree with most of her choices she makes, there have been a few that I question,

12th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards (2006):

Oscars 2007:

14. Mercedes 01/18/2009 at 1:45 am #

For some one who always looks great, my fav celebrity has to be Tina Fey (rocking out the L -or in this case the longer- BD like no ones business). Others who looked great but didn’t make the list: Melissa George’s weird geometric detail is oddly captivating (good fashion or hypnotism, you decide) and Olivia Wilde looks like a fairy princess although I’ve never been one for ruffles.
    There is no excuse for some one as rich as Drew to showing roots as insultingly obvious as that but I have to say there’s something endearing for me about Maggie’s dress, love the print in any case.
    The guys all look very dapper in their suits and in an unrelated matter Chris Pine is seducing me with his eyes.

15. cowboydeals.com 08/03/2009 at 2:06 pm #

i really enjoyed this, great job https://www.cowboydeals.com