Top Ten Worst Valentine's Day Gifts

1. Nothing. Receiving any of the other things on this list would be better than getting nothing at all!
  2. A Look-a-like Doll of yourself or your sweetheart. Sorry, but we find this a little creepy.
  3. Anything involving meat. Valentine’s Day is not the time to give your sweetheart a Bacon of the Month subscription, even if she does like BLTs.
  4. A Vacuum Cleaner. Again, Valentine’s Day is not the time for chore-related appliances.
  5. Vermont Teddy Bear. This commercial makes these customized teddy bears seem more ridiculous than romantic.
  6. Bottles and Bottles of Vodka. ModLife reader Natalie B. writes that last Valentines Day, her boyfriend finally took her to Eat ‘N Park after driving her around for over two hours to different restaurants that were booked: “Once home, he said he still had another gift for me and handed me a gift bag.  It was very heavy.  I opened it up to find three bottles of cherry Three Olives vodka.  He said he wanted to get me something he ‘knew I’d like.’  I felt like I needed to attend some AA meetings.” Turns out that Natalie’s boyfriend’s “gift” sent her a completely different message.
  7. How-To Books are great for learning how to sew a hem, take a stunning photo, or get more organized. Giving one to your valentine, however, might seem like a commentary on his or her abilities.
  8. A Gym Membership. Nothing ruins the mood more than hinting to your cutie that he or she needs to tone it up.
  9. Valentine’s Day Toilet Paper. I mean, really? Really?
  10. Anything That You’ve Already Given to Someone Else. If you have a “standard” Valentine’s Day gift that you’ve given to past sweethearts, try giving your current valentine something that is special and unique to him or her.

Ever gotten a terrible gift? Do tell. Leave me a comment!

7 Responses to Top Ten Worst Valentine's Day Gifts

1. Joe 02/16/2009 at 4:27 pm #

Really? No Bacon of the Month?

Well, I think I need to say, that while the ladies may not appreciate this, I think most guys would!

2. Cali 02/16/2009 at 5:11 pm #

When I was 16, a boy that I had been dating for less than two weeks gave me a kitten for Valentine’s Day. A kitten! A living, breathing animal. Of course, the relationship with the kitten lasted much longer than my relationship with him.

I think it is a general rule not to give someone a pet unless you know them very well.

3. Kelly Anne 02/16/2009 at 5:12 pm #

The last flowers at the store (i.e. limp and mostly dead). They were given in an effort to make up for giving me nothing. They were unsuccessful. Sadly, they’re also the only thing I’ve ever been given on Valentine’s Day by a significant other.

4. Meredith 02/17/2009 at 12:47 pm #

Personally, I would be happy to receive a “Bacon of the Month” subscription. I don’t know what y’all are talking about.

5. Jacky 02/18/2009 at 12:21 am #

Could be worse. I had the worst and only Valentines Date when I was 18. First off I spent 3 hours stuck in traffic driving to his college dorm. Then I had to sit through Romeo and Juliet, sung in French (now I spoke French at the time but not well enough to understand), and the translation text was above our heads so we couldn’t see it. Then after he made me spend hours watching some comedian that wasn’t funny with his friend, a girl who wanted to date him. The next day he brough me to to two inner city thrift stores , which isn’t terrible except that I was with four of his guy friends, it was that time of the month and I just wanted to go home and cuddle. No, then they bring me to a Pepperidge farm outlet store, and finally the last stop was to get Chili Dogs, they sat down at a booth for 4 people leaving me standing.

So honestly. I would take any of those gifts over that date.

6. dominika 02/26/2009 at 4:44 pm #

I think flowers are still all the go. So buy them, boys, don’t think so much! They (flowers) might seem so usual and plain, but there is an extremely wide range of their shapes and colours. And at last, which of us, girls, doesn’t want to see her boyfriend barely holding a big bunch of flowers or looking at us very abashed from behind one long red rose. CUTE ! :-)

7. Jax 03/20/2009 at 11:40 pm #

I’d much rather have a membership in the Bacon of the Month Club than, say, an acre of moon property. Heck, I’d rather have one slice of bacon than lunar real estate. :-)