Nerd in Tartan

[Image above from lookbook.nu]

Here’s what Vasil had to say about today’s ‘style inspiration:’

“How many girls have you heard complain they can’t find anything ‘cool’ to wear or buy? As many as you know? Now, how many guys have you heard complain about the same? Not that many, right? However, I am here to claim that being a guy who wants to be fashionable, trendy,  and unique without being labeled ‘weird,’ ‘crazy,’ or just ‘different’ is a hard thing. Unfortunately, the world of men’s fashion is still a bit too conservative and underdeveloped in comparison to women’s fashion.

Therefore, on my third day of presenting the style inspirations, I had to feature one of the most creative looks I saw while browsing through various street fashion sites. This look comes from “A Weekend in the City” blogger from Sydney, Australia. The look speaks on its own, but what grabbed my attention is the vintage-inspired feel which comes from the belted and cuffed coat and the plaid pants.”

13 Responses to Nerd in Tartan

1. Danielle 02/18/2009 at 4:14 pm #

Two days worth of Drop Crotches…am I starting to see a Trend?

2. Vasil 02/18/2009 at 4:21 pm #

The drop/low-crotch pants and jeans have been a trend since 2006; moreover, they have been influenced by Ottoman-Turkish traditional wear and have been around for hundreds of years. However, it seems they are becoming more commercial especially after higher-end designers are featuring them.

Aren’t they great?!

3. Katie 02/18/2009 at 11:00 pm #

i am so not into that crotch

4. J 02/19/2009 at 3:26 pm #

Oh come on, these pants (and yesterday’s) are extremely unflattering. They make you look stumpy and like you’re wearing a diaper. Please don’t start selling these, Modcloth.

5. Casey 02/19/2009 at 3:29 pm #

uh i agree with j…these pants are a horror show ya’ll. also…the belt? no. dudes do not need to accentuate their narrow waste.

6. Casey 02/19/2009 at 3:29 pm #

*waist!

7. Lisa H. 02/19/2009 at 3:39 pm #

I personally love the pants. But I admit I would never wear them. I believe they would better serve more statuesque people than I. If I wore them myself would resemble Smee rather than a model, although if I did I doubt I’d be able to resist that Smee-like urge to stuff jewels down my pants a la Hook.

8. J 02/19/2009 at 3:53 pm #

That guy IS statuesque.

9. Katie 02/19/2009 at 4:35 pm #

do they wobble to and fro?

10. Marne 02/19/2009 at 5:12 pm #

I LOVE these pants! I wish they were tighter though… Same crotch, more tight.

11. Natalie 02/19/2009 at 6:12 pm #

HaHAHA! Lisa H. is hilarious! I totally get the Smee vs. a model look, and I also think I would like Smee in these pants, BUT my 6ft. best friend in NYC would look awesome strolling down the street in them. To each his own right?

12. Vasil 02/19/2009 at 7:06 pm #

I am glad I was able to create a discussion about a current trend; even though it was not my intention to get that many negative comments, I love that all of you express your opinions. :)
    I love the fact I could share/show how the same trend could translate into unisex fashion.

Also, what is trendy and fashionable is never appropriate for all. We all have to think and know what type of clothes enhance our figures rather than show our imperfections. Skipping on some trends that do not “work-out” for us is okay, even if they are as cool as the drop-crotch pants are, according to me.

13. ben 02/23/2009 at 10:17 am #

Drop-crotch pants depend so much on the cut and type of fabric … some of the jersey knit/super low ones have the saggy diaperish look everyone loves to hate. It’s not always such a fresh look on super-skinny people either, which may be why it looks bad on so many models.

But the above pair is very cool, especially with hi-tops. The pants still have some shape and aren’t just a blob of fabric. On a side note this has to be the first pair of pleated pants I’ve ever liked.