2009 Oscar Fashion Remix

Vasil was pleased with some of the ladies at this year’s Oscars. In an elegant Elie Saab gown with a sheer overlay, Angelina Jolie looked better on Oscar night than she did all year! Natalie Portman also scored in a strapless gown from Rodarte. It’s bright pink hue (and perfect fit) helped her to stand out in a sea of blacks, whites and neutrals. Marisa Tomei’s dramatic Versace gown with an extra long train made heads turn. Kate Winslet, a ModCloth favorite, took a risk in a Yves Saint Laurent gown that we think complemented her natural beauty. Anne Hathaway and Penelope Cruz stunned us in strapless dresses (Armani Prive and vintage Balmain, respectively). Diane Lanes black gown stood out because of its mermaid silhouette, Jennifer Aniston looked ravishing in beaded Valentino and Taraji P. Henson made her first Oscars a stylish success in a strapless Roberto Cavalli gown paired with a 19th century vintage Fred Leighton necklace. (Unfortunately, Vasil couldn’t find a tenth woman to put in his top ten, so he included a picture of Oscar’s sleek silhouette, instead!)

Keep reading to see Vasil’s ten least favorite looks!

Vasil had some criticism for his ten least favorite looks. Much like Eva Mendes’ Golden Globes dress, Jessica Biel’s column gown seemed to feature a built-in napkin. Although Beyonce‘s dress was more flattering than past ensembles, it still looked a little too much like a living room curtain for Vasil’s taste. Our ModCloth stylist adored Evan Rachel Wood‘s look at the Golden Globes; unfortunately, her Oscar gown paled in comparison (pun intended). Vasil refers to Heidi Klum’s gown as a “Roland Mouret origami jumble” – though he does want to emphasize that she is trying to raise awareness for women’s heart disease. Like many other critics, Vasil couldn’t decide whether Miley Cyrus looked more like “a Christmas tree, a cheap glitter greeting card, or a waterfall.” Vasil thought that Sarah Jessica Parker’s Dior Haute Couture gown was “tulle madness” and Queen Latifahs dress “resembled something from the Prom clearance rack.” Melissa Leo‘s Badgley Mischka gown was unflattering to her figure and Bridget Fonda’s look seemed a little too homemade. Finally, Sophia Loren, one of the most stunning women in the history of Hollywood, overshadowed her own beauty by wearing an overly-ruffled gown.

Do you agree with Vasil’s comments? Were they any looks that you loved? Let us know!

About ModCloth

11 Responses to 2009 Oscar Fashion Remix

1. Eileen 02/24/2009 at 6:36 pm #

Marisa Tomei was my favorite of the evening. The detailing on that dress is absolutely impeccable.

Sad not to see Tilda Swinton on your list! She’s seemed to be the one risk-taker in a sea of traditional Oscar-appropriate glamour. From her hair to the drapiness of the Lanvin top to the fact she wore separates! So forward thinking, and the only woman who could pull it off.

2. Christine 02/25/2009 at 12:35 am #

I agree with the stylist for the most part, except one big exception: Sarah Jessica Parker. I thought she was exceptionally lovely and whimsical, but not as over thought as Miley Cyrus’ take on whimsy. Yes, she was flowing with tulle, but she looked like a grown up fairy princess, in the best way!
    Take her off the Worst Dressed List and make her Number 10 on the Best!
    OR
    Where’s Freida Pinto!? She was definitely one of the best!

3. T 02/25/2009 at 12:49 am #

I liked Marion Cotillard’s too. And I thought Reese Witherspoon’s dress was kind of awful.

4. Vasil 02/25/2009 at 10:21 am #

Eileen,

I should admit that Tilda Swinton looked great. I do not think that it was fully appropriate for the red carpet and this is why she did not make it into my list; however, she was stunning and as usually :)

5. Julia 02/25/2009 at 2:06 pm #

The one thing I disagree with here is Evan Rachel Wood. I adored her dress. Yes, it washed her out, but Anne Hathaway’s was equally guilty of doing the same. Pale girls of the world, I speak as one of you. (Believe me when I say how much I speak as one of you.) So you know I say this with absolute love – DO NOT WEAR ALL WHITE. (A shirt or something? Fine. White all over? Not fine.) Pastels are okay, but not white. It washes us out completely. If we must wear something light-colored, which we all must, I suggest cream or even an extremely pale gold. It’s not too close to skin tone and manages to bring in some warmth. This list is pretty much my list, but I would add Viola Davis to the best dressed (that gold number made her look phenomenal) and Vanessa Hudgens to the worst-dressed (a terrible mermaid-style skirt with the poof at the bottom a la Beyonce but with feathers exploding from her bust? Oh Vanessa, I thought East High taught you better than that.)

I know neither of these ladies were on the Red Carpet (and one didn’t even attend the event), but two dresses I LOVED from that night were Tina Fey’s (she looked so lovely! And not in black, too!) and Michelle Obama’s. Yes, I know the First Lady wasn’t at the Oscars, but she walked down a red carpet in the white house looking absolutely DIVINE. (But when doesn’t she look amazing, really? That woman is my hero.)

6. Danielle 02/25/2009 at 2:27 pm #

I have seen some lovely pale-r ladies pull off white by adding a brightly colored necklace or scarf to bring back some color to their complexion.

7. Katie 02/25/2009 at 4:18 pm #

I thought that Freida Pinto looked stunning. Her blue dress stood out from all the black and white and made her glow! It was also a refreshing change from either strapless ball gowns or the mermaid style dresses.

I think if she were the last on the number ten, your list would be complete!

8. Little Gray Pixel 02/26/2009 at 2:59 pm #

Is everyone taking crazy pills? Tilda Swinton is a great actress, but she can’t dress herself to save her life. Meryl Streep should also be on the worst-dressed list.

9. Michelle 02/26/2009 at 4:44 pm #

I liked Natalie Portman’s dress, but I wasn’t wild about the styling. I mean, come on! Black nail polish? What are you, 17?

10. Catherine M Huang 02/26/2009 at 4:55 pm #

Evan Rachel Wood, in my opinion, would have made a lovely 10th, instead of the sleek Oscar. :) Pale beauties have their own kind of beauty, and I am just crazy about her dress! And her hair, makeup and complexion are flawless.

11. D Mayer 04/17/2009 at 1:47 pm #

I just love your blog! Very good post!