New Uses For Vintage Clip Earrings

Mod DIY

For today’s DIY project, I wanted to make use of some of the gorgeous vintage clip-on earrings I’ve collected! Keep reading for tips on how to make fun removable clips for your favorite shoes!

Mod DIY

For these Double Indemnity heels, I added this vintage pair of green leaf earrings for a new look. I recommend putting a piece of medical tape on the earring clip to ensure your foot stays comfortable!

Mod DIY

I took orange clip-ons and added bows to them for the Wicker Park Slingbacks.  To secure the bows, I hot-glued them to the backside of the earrings. Again, wrap the clip part of the earring in medical tape if it is uncomfortable for you.

Mod DIY

For the Awards Ceremony Heels, I wanted to add a little extra flair to the ankle strap with these vintage pearl dangle clip-ons!

Mod DIY

And finally, for the White Angle Slingbacks, i made another bow and hot glued it to a plain clip-on earring back. We showed it on the back of the sling back but it looks super cute on the front as well!

If you have any questions or comments or suggestions, please let me know. And if you take a picture of your finished project, please send it to me at diy@modcloth.com. I’d love to see your projects and share them with other blog readers!

About ModCloth

, ,

11 Responses to New Uses For Vintage Clip Earrings

1. Zori 02/27/2009 at 4:30 pm #

I love the idea of using vintage clip earring. Thank you very much for that

2. Scarlett 02/27/2009 at 7:59 pm #

My Mom and Grandma have a bunch of old clip-ons they don’t wear anymore. I really feel like I should go look through them now! Oh boy! ^_^

3. Rachel 03/02/2009 at 1:09 pm #

You’re so clever and creative, Liz!!

4. Emma 03/02/2009 at 5:35 pm #

I really like this idea, but wouldn’t the clips hurt? like on the black shoes, wouldn’t the clip dig into your skin?

5. Morgan 03/02/2009 at 7:36 pm #

How creative! I can’t wait to try a few of my own. What a great way to make your own statement or to tie an outfit together.

6. Susan 03/02/2009 at 9:03 pm #

I am definitely going to try this… great idea Liz!

7. Elisa 03/02/2009 at 10:18 pm #

OMG cannot wait to try this! Thanks ModCloth!!!

8. Akayla 03/03/2009 at 5:23 pm #

This is super sweet….I definitely want to try this! I love your DIYs Lizzie! I am in the process of doing the jewelry display one!

9. Sarah 03/04/2009 at 11:54 pm #

I’m currently in the process of making these for my etsy store! We must be on the same wavelength. I’m trying to do cute animals and also more modern ones. Leather & studs, oh my! Good entry. :)

xo – Sarah of Endless Vintage

10. Lis 03/06/2009 at 12:45 am #

I love love LOVE this idea! I have a bunch of great vintage earrings from my grandma’s collection that I wouldn’t wear, but that were just too pretty and interesting to throw away. This is perfect for them and a great way to dress up my plain heels. Yeay!!

11. Audrey 12/03/2013 at 2:27 pm #

This is so brilliant! I also use some vintage clip-ons as hair pieces; I take a section of hair, bobby pin it back and then place the earring just above the pin, or if it’s a small piece of hair I just use the earring alone to hold the hair. I get tons of compliments every time I wear them!