Drop It Like Its Hot

Yesterday’s Style Inspiration set off a lengthy conversation between Vasil and I about the fabulous emergence of drop crotch pants. Little did I know, he was working on a pair of his own! Today, I bring you the jeans that sparked a thousand “wow”s, and the look that is making my heart flutter. Vasil, oh when will you make me a pair?

You say you’re not sure about the trend? That you’d never wear something so strange? Well, lets not forget how many of us felt about skinny jeans just a few years ago…

About ModCloth

26 Responses to Drop It Like Its Hot

1. J 03/03/2009 at 2:13 pm #

Ugh, again, you guys? These pants are just a pretentious version of ghetto saggy jeans, the only difference being a slightly too-high waistline instead of exposed boxers. Also, can we really not think of a more flattering term for these than “drop crotch”? No thanks!

2. Danielle 03/03/2009 at 2:17 pm #

I have to admit, I am starting to warm up to the drop crotch… MORE!!

3. Vasil 03/03/2009 at 2:20 pm #

Thanks J,
    Once again, I appreciate your comment. My only suggestion is that you do not look at what is trendy and fashionable as something that necessarily has to be “flattering”. Also, if you are not going to look great in a drop-crotch pants, just do not wear one; you are right there are hundreds of other “flattering” options.

By the way we welcome all comments, so do not feel obligated to present yourself only as a J.
    Thanks,

4. Maggie 03/03/2009 at 2:21 pm #

I heart Drop Crotch!

5. Liz 03/03/2009 at 2:23 pm #

I can’t believe you made these Vasil! Fierce as always :)

6. Marne 03/03/2009 at 2:25 pm #

I love this style and I love that Vasil is brilliant enough to whip up these absolutely professional grade jeans in 2 days. I can’t even take in a t-shirt.
    I agree that they are a variation of “ghetto saggy jeans” but without street culture, fashion would not exist.

7. Sari 03/03/2009 at 2:27 pm #

Nicely done Vasil!

8. Polly 03/03/2009 at 2:47 pm #

yeah – haven’t warmed to them yet. one day. maybe.

9. J 03/03/2009 at 2:47 pm #

Hey Vasil: I’m not trying to hide behind the J, for whatever reason it’s how my information is stored on this site. My name is Julie. As a designer myself, I believe that message and aesthetics need to be equally considered, and these pants are only about making a statement. Something about this trend just makes my heart sink.

10. Vasil 03/03/2009 at 3:32 pm #

Julie,
    To a point I agree that fashion is a combination of aesthetics and message; however, what looks aesthetically right to you might not be right to me, and whose message does it represent–designer or person wearing them? what about other messages? Even as a designer I am always so hesitant to define the art of fashion…Nothing in the 21st century is black or white and/or right or wrong.

Also, I personally made and wore mine because I love the look find them awesome; not to make any statements.

P.S. I would love to see some of your designs. We can exchange some ideas! If interested, please email me at vasil@ModCloth.com

11. Marina 03/03/2009 at 3:40 pm #

Vasil- I have to say that I was in the middle concerning drop-crotch pants after the two style inspirations from a few weeks ago. After seing your fabulous creation (!) however, I am a total fan now! I think that they look modern, totally chic and so inspired! Yay for drop-crotch pants!

12. Natalie 03/03/2009 at 3:58 pm #

I have to admit also that Vasil may have won me over with his more modern, almost preppy version of this look. It looks a lot less sloppy, and homeless than the other two showcased “style inspirations” that were previously posted.

Drop it like its hot! what! what!

13. Tiffany 03/03/2009 at 5:52 pm #

Blah. Am I the only one who remembers suffering through drop crotch in late 80′s and early 90′s? This isn’t a re-imaging of “ghetto saggy jeans” (not even getting into my thoughts on that particular statement). This is like finding my older brother’s outfit for the 1990 Alpha Phi Alpha Howard University Invitational Step Show and passing it off as some revolutionary silhouette. Christ, what other subcultural aesthetic from the past 30 years can the ‘people in the know’ drag up. Up for Baroque Style Clothing anyone?

14. Brian 03/03/2009 at 6:07 pm #

I think Vasil’s take on the drop-crotch jeans are very interesting to look at, and they are very edgy… but not really fashionable in my opinion. I like the pants on the girl in the above mentioned article better since they are much more like a fashionably modern version of knickers than anything. The guy up top just looks like his giant fly is open. I think it’s because the pleats are a little too prominent and a little too far in towards the center… Overall, I would say it’s a good effort for a first attempt.

15. louisa 03/03/2009 at 9:02 pm #

oh we’ll all be rocking the drop pant – couldn’t escape the look in barcelona and that is a very beautiful & fashion forward town.

16. Sabina 03/04/2009 at 1:35 am #

I search fashion trends all the time and I haven’t run into the drop-crotch pants yet, but now that I see them…I really like the idea! It looks like something very comfy :) for pants (or jeans) I’m usually a size 000 (yeah, i know that doesn’t exist!)…or 00 juniors…so most jeans that I find…tend to look like that on me anyway — now I’ll know that my look is also in style- great :)

Vasil, I’m curious: where are you from? I would guess Russia or Romania by looking at your name? I’m from Romania and I know your name is very popular there :) Anyway, don’t have to disclose it if you don’t want to…just curious :)

17. Leia 03/04/2009 at 7:11 am #

Noooo no no no, hate dropped crotch pants!

18. Vasil 03/04/2009 at 10:49 am #

Sabina,

I am surprised that you have not seen them yet. They have been quite popular all over Europe for about 3 years now. However, this year they were heavily discussed on numerous blogs as well featured in a lot of Spring and Fall 2009 RTW collections.

I am from Bulgaria, neighbor :) It definitely isn’t a secret.

Also, I would like to thank all of you for your comments!!!

19. Joe 03/04/2009 at 1:02 pm #

Vasil, you’ve managed to sell me on this look!!

Also, I’m terribly jealous. The ability to sew myself up a pair of pants like that so quickly… amazing!!!

20. Christina 03/04/2009 at 1:12 pm #

Sorry, these pants make anyone who wears them look like they’re dragging around a poopy diaper – not cute!

21. Natalie C. 03/05/2009 at 7:57 am #

Looking good Vasil. I love the pants.

22. Rona L 03/06/2009 at 2:46 am #

It’s a good look for denim…However…I still prefer my “Thai” pants from the 70′s …So traditional in Thailand yet so trendy over here…. I duplicated the pattern in various fabrics other than silk… Are you familiar with the design?

23. Vasil 03/06/2009 at 4:08 pm #

Rona,

I have an idea what they look like; however, I am not sure how close the idea of the pattern I have in mind is to what you have based on your traditional pants took apart.

You should share it with me.
    vasil@ModCloth.com

Thanks

24. Turi 07/01/2009 at 5:32 am #

I love the pants Vasil made! They almost remind me of old-fashioned riding pants.

25. Kelsey Lamb 04/01/2010 at 6:07 pm #

What??? Those are not attractive at all. If I saw anyone wearing these, I would not talk to them.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModLife » Blog Archive » The Young and the Vintage - 03/04/2009

[...] let me thank everyone who commented on my previous Style Inspiration featuring Vasil. Love it or hate it, discussing fashion trends is one of our favorite pastimes – thanks for your [...]