We Can't Stop Talking About…Vintage frames

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

[Frames are found on these sites: Eyeglass Boy, Allyn Scura, Ed Welch's Eyeglasses Warehouse, Optometrist's Attic]

The past few weeks I have been scouring thousands of sites (well, no not literally) to attempt to find the perfect vintage-inspired frame. After losing my first pair of designer glasses, sitting on my “spare” pair, and buying my third pair while traveling in India and having the lens literally crumble in my hands, I have found myself, pretty much without a decent pair of eyeglasses. I now know that I am careless, forgetful, and also cheap, which leads me to search for the perfect pair of frames within my boundaries.  And I came down to the fact that if I want vintage-inspired, perhaps I should refer to or purchase a pair that were actually made in the past.

Read on to see some great frame options, and inspiring looks for that perfect pair of vintage frames…

For a moment I considered finding my grandmother’s old frames buried somewhere in the piles of stuff on her Iowan farm, but realized the look she wore in the 60s might be a little too extreme for my taste. In hindsight though, it may have been a great way to commemorate her life and who she was. Perhaps, I may still seek out this option in the future.

[Classic Unisex styles from Optometrists Attic]

The good news is that all of these vintage frames are great if you are on a limited budget, and if you are looking for a unique look that will make you stand out in a crowd. Most of the frames that I found online were priced between $35-150, and since not every frame looks good on every face, most sites would let you return them! I happened to call up one of the sites to talk to a “customer service representative” who answered the phone in this way: “Hello, this is Bob, what can I do for ‘ya?” He proceeded to tell me he needed to “fire up” the computer to see the glasses I liked. Let me tell you–Bob was an adorable elderly man who told me all about horn-rimmed, brow-line, cat-eye, rhinestone, and aluminum frames and how they were all the rage back in the day. Very nice, and unexpected!

[Image above: Glasses are from Urban Spectacles]

If you are into higher end, vintage-inspired frames, take a look at this artist who carves his frames out of mixed wood, plastic, and recycled aluminum. He will even customize a pair to your specifications. Wow!

So after all my searching, I have narrowed it down to these two vintage inspired frames below. Which do you like better? Lastly, if you are interested in having the look of vintage frames, but are blessed with good vision…you are in luck! We currently carry some really cute frames and sunglasses that will help you pull off that look to perfection! And if you have an awesome pair of vintage specs yourself…feel free to post the picture here in the comments! I’d love to see! Thanks!

17 Responses to We Can't Stop Talking About…Vintage frames

1. Leia 03/11/2009 at 5:32 pm #

I think the shape of the red ones suit your face better :)

2. Meredith 03/11/2009 at 8:41 pm #

Eh, I actually like the ones on the left better. I like frames that wrap all the way around the lens better (don’t ask me why). But of course, you look cute in either pair!

3. Sarahnargle 03/11/2009 at 9:12 pm #

Definitely the left ones – very cute!

4. Zaira 03/11/2009 at 11:39 pm #

i just got these bad boys ordered in for me by a great place in toronto, only in tortoise shell and gold: https://www.retrospecs.co.uk/glasses/retro-retro-50s-glasses-30.html/

5. Emily 03/12/2009 at 7:55 am #

I would go with the red frames. the dark ones look too heavy on your face and distract from your pretty eyes! plus the red ones are just so funky and fresh!

6. Natalie 03/12/2009 at 9:30 am #

Thanks guys! Awesome tips! Im leaning towards the red because they are this great rusty red sort of color. Zaira, I love your style! Those are some great specs! I want to see more pictures everybody!!:)

7. Lena 03/12/2009 at 9:49 am #

Love the red ones! They look great with your blonde hair!

8. Ana P. 03/12/2009 at 1:00 pm #

The red ones look like the frames I have, only mine are the color of copper :)

9. Laura 03/12/2009 at 1:12 pm #

The red cat eyes have very nice line, though I do like the browns of the other pair. But I think the ones on the left cut across your face a little too harshly and draw more attention to your glasses rather than yourself.

10. Susan 03/12/2009 at 3:08 pm #

I looove the red ones :)

11. Destiny 03/12/2009 at 4:18 pm #

i like the red ones best

12. Julie-Anne 03/17/2009 at 6:21 pm #

I, personnaly, prefer the ones to the left (they somewhat look like the ones I currently have). I’m a bit fan of the big and bold frames. Since I don’t really have access to anything vintage, I was able to get my hands on a pair of Elizabeth Arden glasses that have a vintage feel (they’re also bigger than your average pair of glasses): http://www.eyeglasses.com/elizabeth-arden/EA-1037.html

13. Sarah 03/31/2009 at 6:08 am #

Here’s a pic of me in my stepmom’s old sunglasses, complete with the computer screen reflection :P

Better shot of the sunglasses

14. eben 11/04/2009 at 4:14 am #

Where to have these glasses?I would have it really…

15. Blackstock 02/19/2010 at 1:34 pm #

Good post! Keep writing. We just release a Singapore E-Commerce Report for FREE Download. Can we exchange links?

16. T!ffany 11/18/2010 at 7:15 am #

I love glasses, but my vision is good enough that I don’t have to wear them. I guess that’s a good thing, but once in awhile I’d love to sport some sweet frames.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks