Style Glossary: I Seersucker Said the Blind Man

This week’s Style Glossary post will tackle seersucker fabric! Personally, before starting at ModCloth, I thought seersucker was some sort of clasp. As part of my fashion enlightenment, I discovered that seersucker is in fact a type of fabric (that I own quite a bit of).

Characterized by a textured feel and slightly puckered look, seersucker is a lightweight fabric that is simply perfect for spring dresses. Our Sweet Caroline Dress is a flirty example of a seersucker dress.  It’s airy, adorable, and perfect for spinning, if I do say so myself.

If you weren’t sure before, check through your closet – you, like me, may be sitting on a seersucker goldmine! Thank you for reading, and happy shopping!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, , , , , ,

7 Responses to Style Glossary: I Seersucker Said the Blind Man

1. Andrea 03/18/2009 at 6:49 pm #

A very long time ago, I thought that seersucker referred to some kind of lamprey-like, aquatic, terrifying creature.

I’m glad I cleared that up a few years ago.

2. Lulu 03/18/2009 at 7:16 pm #

Where does the name seersucker come from, does anyone know?
    It just seems so… awkward.

3. Natalie 03/18/2009 at 9:06 pm #

I took your advice and ventured into my closet today. Sure enough, there, hanging amidst empire waists and unironed pants (just the way I like them

4. Silvana 03/19/2009 at 2:42 pm #

Until now, I though seersucker was some kind of bug.

5. Misselaineous 03/23/2009 at 12:10 am #

The word is from the Persian shÄ«roshakar which literally means “milk and sugar.”

6. Raid 12/14/2009 at 3:44 am #

Sometimes I feel with the ever changing flow of technology and world that we live in today that this world has come to a new low… We rely to much on technology and without the insurance of health, where can we possible go from here? Who is to say… but anyways great post. health

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModLife » Blog Archive » Top Ten Clothing Words - 05/18/2009

[...] As Lindsay discussed in her Fashion Dictionary post, we love the name and the look of this textured [...]