Don’t Forget to Wear Your Sweater Tomorrow!

For everybody who grew up watching Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood, tomorrow is a very special day! It’s “Wont You Be My Neighbor Day” in honor of Fred Rogers’ birthday, who would have been 81 years old tomorrow.

Put on your sweater and keep reading to find out how you can be the best neighbor you can be tomorrow!

We found out about “Wont You Be My Neighbor Day” when we met Mr. Rogers’ trusty postman, Mr. McFeely, last week while Susan was filming a segment for WXPI, a local news station.

[Speedy delivery! Alicia and Susan pose with Mr. McFeely]

Mr. Rogers was born in Latrobe, a town about forty miles south of Pittsburgh, but he lived in Pittsburgh and was beloved by the city. Many museums and establishments around town are offering free admission and hosting sweater drives in honor of the day. However, you can celebrate tomorrow no matter where you live by wearing your favorite sweater and practicing this advice from Mr. Rogers himself:

“Imagine what our real neighborhoods would be like, if each one of us offered as a matter of course, just one kind word to another person..one kind word has a wonderful way of turning into many.”

Plan on celebrating “Won’t You Be My Neighbor Day??” Send pictures of you and your friends in your favorite sweaters to alicia@modcloth.com and you just might make it to our wrap-up post next week!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

11 Responses to Don’t Forget to Wear Your Sweater Tomorrow!

1. Ali 03/19/2009 at 12:36 pm #

This is a great holiday, honoring a great man.

2. Susan 03/19/2009 at 12:37 pm #

I was always such a huge Mr. Rogers fan & Mr. McFeely was sooo nice in person! I will definitely be wearing a sweater tomorrow :)

3. Gina 03/19/2009 at 4:42 pm #

That pink dress is adorable. Where is that from?

4. Katie 03/19/2009 at 6:48 pm #

Cool. I think I might leave a note in a couple of my neighbors’ mailboxes tomorrow to wish them a happy “Won’t You Be My Neighbor Day” ^_^ Without being completely creepy, of course…

To Gina: It looks like it would be from Stop Staring- an online store that sells vintage style dresses

5. Susan 03/19/2009 at 7:18 pm #

Gina – The dress I’m wearing is by Stop Staring! (as Katie mentioned). We used to carry it on ModCloth way back in 2006!

6. Charlene 03/19/2009 at 11:32 pm #

The idea of this is so sweet and simple, just like Mr. Rogers. :)

7. Hannah 03/20/2009 at 10:10 am #

I miss Mr. Rogers! Anyone living in the Pittsburgh area will need a sweater today, too! It’s 32 degrees in Butler at the moment.

8. nina 03/20/2009 at 10:14 am #

I LOVE that gray sweater! Where’s it from?

9. Colleen 03/20/2009 at 11:54 am #

Oh, what a great holiday! And in honor of a great man, I used to love watching Mr.Rogers, it’s great people remember him. And on a side note, I love that pink dress, so adorable!

10. Alicia 03/20/2009 at 2:58 pm #

Thanks Nina! I got the grey sweater at a BCBG outlet store like three years ago. It is my favorite.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModLife » Blog Archive » A Sweater Success! - 03/23/2009

[...] all of your friendly virtual neighbors at ModCloth, we hope you had a lovely Sweater Day and First Day of Spring this [...]