Faking/Breaking the Mold

• Mad Men is an inspiration to many of us, but where does the show’s creator, Matt Weiner, get his inspiration? Possibly his son, Arlo, who has been dubbed by GQ Magazine as America’s most stylish eight-year-old. Described as “part Oliver Twist, part Royal Tenenbaums,” Arlo incorporates ascots, top hats, and mismatched plaids to wear to his second-grade classes for a playful, distinguished, and timeless look.
  • Check out Ikea’s new interactive ad campaign. See how everybody from wrestlers to ballerinas organize their closets and watch them dance too; the website features five different rooms and you can upload your own mp3 files to synchronize their dances. Maybe I can’t afford a $1,500 closet, but I’ll gladly spend a few minutes watching people dance around in front of them to techno music!

What We’re Into:

Emily: I’m totally obsessed with Anna Dorfman-Stark’s blog, Door Sixteen. She owns a beautiful Victorian row house in New York state and blogs about her renovation projects and all things involving good design. Her style is inspiring, just my taste, and I would give anything to have a home like hers.

Alicia: Tea. It seems it’s all or nothing for me when it comes to coffee.  This is why I’ve decided to see how I operate for a few days without liters of caffeine in my system, and make the switch to caffeine free teas. I am in love with Egypitian Licorice Tea by Yogi Tea Company. It’s the only tea I’ve ever found that rivals a great cup of coffee. Do you know of any other great teas?

Have a great weekend!

18 Responses to Faking/Breaking the Mold

1. Joe 03/27/2009 at 3:06 pm #

Alicia, No caffeine?!? Blasphemy!

2. Ashleigh 03/27/2009 at 3:09 pm #

If you like tea that more kick than crumpet, I highly reccomend another Yogi Tea – Throat Comfort (used to be ickily called Throat Coat). Lots of anise, herbs, and subtle sweetness!

3. Ben 03/27/2009 at 3:16 pm #

throat coat is magic when you’re sick. I don’t know what’s in it but it’s incredible stuff.

4. Vee 03/27/2009 at 3:48 pm #

Tazo Green Ginger tea. SO GOOD. And caffeinated, I believe. I quit caffeine a while ago, but I’m finding a little jolt in the morning isn’t so bad, as long as I don’t get dependent again. Green doesn’t have near as much caffeine as coffee, and it doesn’t stain your teeth! Good deal, I’d say!

5. Jenna 03/27/2009 at 4:34 pm #

I used to work at a tea shop, so tea is my one true love as far as caffeinated beverages go. My faves are Whittards of Chelsea’s Lapsang Souchong (a very smokey, warm black tea, reminiscent of autumn rain after a prairie fire), Numi’s Aged Earl Grey (the best Earl Grey i’ve had to date), Pickwick’s Purely Peach black tea, Black Currant tea, San Francisco Spiced Black tea (tastes like root beer!), Gunpowder Green tea, and a blend of your standard Peppermint tea with either a Lavender- or Rose hip-based herbal.

6. rebecca 03/27/2009 at 5:11 pm #

i love arlo! i saw him on another blog a couple weeks ago. i hope my kids dress that great! :]

7. Alexandra Appel 03/27/2009 at 10:04 pm #

Caffeine + me don’t exactly get along.

8. Sarahnargle 03/28/2009 at 1:31 am #

That licorice tea is amazing, but my two favorite teas are definitely Good Earth (it tastes like cider!) and Numi Honey Bush tea.

9. Minkie 03/28/2009 at 12:45 pm #

Tea = the new coffee

I brought back my love of tea from Europe years ago. True tea junkies really appreciate loose teas. Cheaper and higher quality! Check out SpecialTeas.com. They have fantastic selection.

I prefer black teas, but they have beautiful herbal and white teas there. Yummers

10. Glovy 03/28/2009 at 7:03 pm #

Arlo WEINER?! Most stylish 8-year old?! I think the real story hear is how he manages not to get beat-up.

(this isn’t because I think that little boys can’t be interested in clothes, it’s because his last name is WEINER and because at 8 years old what are you doing being that pretentious already? Honestly, just go play in the dirt or something.)

11. Jen Wade 03/29/2009 at 2:54 pm #

The Egyptian Licorice by Yogi Tea is one of my favorites. They also make an Egyptian Licorice Mint – if you can believe it!

12. Sarahnargle 03/30/2009 at 2:28 am #

Egyptian Licorice Mint would rock – I definitely need to find that one.

13. Alicia 03/30/2009 at 12:25 pm #

Mmmmm, thanks for all of the great tea suggestions, girls! This list will definitely help me keep my ‘no coffee’ resolution. I can’t wait to try Egyptian Licorice Mint!

14. Erin 03/30/2009 at 1:56 pm #

Best teashop online ever. http://www.adagio.com

15. rachel 03/30/2009 at 2:47 pm #

vanilla chai :D

16. phil 03/30/2009 at 9:30 pm #

after reading this, I stopped at Licorice International (licoriceinternational.com) and found Stash brand licorice spice tea. haven’t had a chance to taste it yet. Licorice root, cinnamon, orange peel, star anise, sarsaparilla and natural flavors of vanilla, orange, clove, cardamom and cinnamon. no caffeine.

17. Megan 04/01/2009 at 6:36 pm #

My favorite tea is Nutcracker Sweet from Celestial Seasonings. It’s a sweet spice tea they only release during the holidays and it always helps get me in the Christmas spirit!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModLife » Blog Archive » Top Ten April Fool’s Pranks - 06/30/2009

[...] Spoiled Lunch. These funky ziploc bags are sure to liven up lunchtime (as discussed in last week’s 3 O’Clock Slump). [...]