Top Ten Bedtime Stories

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Recently, my sisters and I were reminiscing over our favorite bedtime stories, and it made me feel like a kid again. Since the weather in Pittsburgh has turned super chilly, and there are even rumors of an evening snowfall, I thought this might be the perfect day to snuggle up on the couch and revisit some of these tales of love and adventure. Enjoy!

1. Peter Pan. This classic story uses magic and adventure to investigate the emotions of growing up. After all these years, I still believe in fairies. I do!
  2. The Giving Tree. Here is the original video of this true love story. Shel Silverstein narrates!
  3. Green Eggs and Ham is only one of Dr. Seuss’ brilliant and wacky tales. If you’ve always wanted to sample the real thing, here’s a recipe!
  4. Where the Wild Things Are. Here’s a trailer for the upcoming movie, directed by Spike Jonze!
  5. Goodnight Moon. The quiet beauty of this book is the perfect bedtime companion, even if it does make me wonder what kind of “mush” is in that bowl.
  6. Harold and the Purple Crayon. HBO has an adorable Harold game on its site. Check it out!
  7. Love You Forever. Thinking about this one makes me teary-eyed. If you haven’t read it yet, you must…but don’t forget the tissues.
  8. The Velveteen Rabbit. Originally published in 1922, this timeless story shows how true love can transform. I remember thinking that if I loved my stuffed cat enough, she would become real, too!
  9. The Chronicles of Narnia are a popular favorite among generations of children. If you’re a fan of the series and a fan of fashion, this website provides detailed information about the costumes worn in the movie.
  10. Charlotte’s Web. Who knew that a friendship between a spider and a pig could become such a memorable story?

What are some of your favorite bedtime stories? Leave a comment!

19 Responses to Top Ten Bedtime Stories

1. Sarah 04/06/2009 at 1:49 pm #

Goodnight Moon and Love You Forever are at the very top of my own list- good picks :)

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett is also a fantastic story.

2. Eva 04/06/2009 at 1:59 pm #

Oh I loved Harold and the purple crayon. It might have been because I couldn’t read till I was like 10, but still a wonderful story. I Love you Forever is also on my fav list.

3. Lola 04/06/2009 at 2:02 pm #

the Little prince will always be my favorite book, I love it so much I got some of the illustrations tattooed

my brother and I always requested the hobbit and the lord of the rings trilogy, they might not seem like great bedtime stories, but we were kids raised on smashing pumpkins, we could handle it :)

4. Meriel 04/06/2009 at 2:21 pm #

We are definitely forgetting “Where the Wild Things Are”.

Who else is excited for the movie?

5. Meriel 04/06/2009 at 2:22 pm #

Shoot. I didn’t even see it on the list. I feel so silly.

6. Ella Jane 04/06/2009 at 2:51 pm #

Dear Mili! (http://tinyurl.com/dmarva)

now that I read it it’s totally creepy and all about death, but when I was a little kid I loved the story and the beautiful illustrations.

7. Jenna 04/06/2009 at 2:52 pm #

Where the Wild thing are and goodnight moon, but also, the little prince was great

8. Susan 04/06/2009 at 3:11 pm #

I used to really love the Tale of Peter Rabbit. I always wanted a bunny named Flopsy or Mopsy!

9. Jordan 04/06/2009 at 3:58 pm #

I loved the Velveteen Rabbit and Corduroy Bear! Just thinking of them makes me wish I was a kid again.

10. Lulu 04/06/2009 at 4:34 pm #

I was raised on The Chronicles of Narnia, so that’s definitely the top of my list.

Then there’s any of Beatrix Potter’s stuff (although I always liked the Tale of Jeremy Fisher the frog better than Peter Rabbit), and, of course, Winnie the Pooh!!

Haha…bet you can’t guess where I grew up ;]

11. Rachel 04/06/2009 at 4:43 pm #

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is another one the I remember fondly…

12. Hilary 04/06/2009 at 5:27 pm #

I loved ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’. Also ‘Guess How Much I Love You’, very cute story of two Bunnies, beautiful pictures too. For a bit of Australiana; ‘Where the Forest meets the Sea’. Amazing pictures! http://www.amazon.com/Where-Forest-Meets-Jeannie-Baker/dp/0688063632. And anything my Graeme Base. Check his books out, they’re beautiful!

13. Sarah 04/06/2009 at 6:53 pm #

Anything by Enid Blyton, especially from the Magic Farway Tree & Wishing-Chair series.

14. Jaclyn 04/06/2009 at 7:52 pm #

The hungry caterpillar! and Paddington bear

15. Vince 04/06/2009 at 11:03 pm #

Hi Maggie,
    This is a really great top ten list, Peter Pan is one of my very favorite stories and I thought that Goodnight Moon was another classic pick. I also love Where The Wild Things Are, one of the best collection of illustrations in a childrens book. You can post this to our site http://www.toptentopten.com/ and then link back to your site. We are looking for top ten lists and our users can track back to your site. The coolest feature is you can let other people vote on the rankings of your list.

16. Melanie 04/07/2009 at 4:39 pm #

Aw! I remember “Goodnight Moon,” that book was awesome! :p

17. Sirona Beuchler 04/08/2009 at 8:08 am #

I had the Beatrix Potter collection which was always awesome. Also The Little Prince is a classic, my sister read it to me when I was five. What fond memories!

18. Heidi 04/09/2009 at 11:35 am #

My friend and I were just talking about kids books this week! ‘Harold and the Purple Crayon’ was one of the top ones on our list, too. My friend had a blue crayon that he carried around with him all the time, and I’m positive that’s what started my creative process as a child.

One of my other favorites books was ‘In the Night Kitchen’ by Maurice Sendak, the one who did ‘Where the Wild Things Are.’. -^ ^-

19. Heather 05/14/2009 at 1:15 pm #

The Little Prince and Peter Pan are my all-time favorites. I really like The Last Unicorn and The Hobbit, too.