Recently, my sisters and I were reminiscing over our favorite bedtime stories, and it made me feel like a kid again. Since the weather in Pittsburgh has turned super chilly, and there are even rumors of an evening snowfall, I thought this might be the perfect day to snuggle up on the couch and revisit some of these tales of love and adventure. Enjoy!
- Peter Pan. This classic story uses magic and adventure to investigate the emotions of growing up. After all these years, I still believe in fairies. I do!
- The Giving Tree. Here is the original video of this true love story. Shel Silverstein narrates!
- Green Eggs and Ham is only one of Dr. Seuss’ brilliant and wacky tales. If you’ve always wanted to sample the real thing, here’s a recipe!
- Where the Wild Things Are. Here’s a trailer for the upcoming movie, directed by Spike Jonze!
- Goodnight Moon. The quiet beauty of this book is the perfect bedtime companion, even if it does make me wonder what kind of “mush” is in that bowl.
- Harold and the Purple Crayon. HBO has an adorable Harold game on its site. Check it out!
- Love You Forever. Thinking about this one makes me teary-eyed. If you haven’t read it yet, you must…but don’t forget the tissues.
- The Velveteen Rabbit. Originally published in 1922, this timeless story shows how true love can transform. I remember thinking that if I loved my stuffed cat enough, she would become real, too!
- The Chronicles of Narnia are a popular favorite among generations of children. If you’re a fan of the series and a fan of fashion, this website provides detailed information about the costumes worn in the movie.
- Charlotte’s Web. Who knew that a friendship between a spider and a pig could become such a memorable story?
What are some of your favorite bedtime stories? Leave a comment!