Top Ten Awesome Fashion Trends of the 1990s

Image courtesy of scarletmadeline.buzznet.com

You already know how much we love the 1980s. We thought it might be time to talk a little bit about that decade in which most of us actually grew up. We love the 90s!

1. Grunge. The ultimate 90s trend that included flannel, chokers, piercings, tiny hair clips and more. Marc Jacobs is credited for bringing grunge to the runways with his 1992 collection for Perry Ellis.
  2. Neon. This trend is having a comeback!
  3. Sagging Jeans. The point here was to wear the oversized pants low enough that your awesome boxer shorts are exposed. Still rocking this trend? You’ll love this site.
  4. Scrunchies. This lovable hair accessory came in every color and every pattern imaginable. Many girls even made their own.
  5. “Belly” shirts. As the lovely Kelly Kapowski is showing off in the above photo, shirts or bra-tops that revealed one’s belly were considered super hot.
  6. The Blossom Hat. Who didn’t love Blossom’s quirky sense of style? Her upturned hat inspired teenage girls everywhere.
  7. Denim Cut-offs, preferably with lace details.
  8. Bodysuits. I distinctly remember my sister wearing a hot pink bodysuit with the shoulder cut-outs and thinking that she looked so cool.
  9. Overalls. Again, Kelly shows just how cool suspenders can look. Extra points for only bucking one strap and allowing the other to hang loose.
  10. Giant goose-down coats. The bigger, the better!

Did we miss any trends? Leave a comment!

26 Responses to Top Ten Awesome Fashion Trends of the 1990s

1. katie 04/27/2009 at 12:52 pm #

will smith did neon the best

2. oogie 04/27/2009 at 1:08 pm #

Well this isn’t really a fashion trend, but lipliners and brown lipstick (and often matte)
    Flower dresses/long-length flower skirts

Basically what everybody wore in Reality Bites

3. Jen 04/27/2009 at 1:16 pm #

I pined for a body suit! My mom called it “a onesie for grown-ups” and refused to buy me one, so I saved all my chore money. It was the best…but the snaps WERE a little inconvenient…

4. denise 04/27/2009 at 1:47 pm #

Oh man, I remember my older sister wearing those bodysuits too! She had so many… I remember them a lot on Melrose Place too (which honestly I was probably too young to watch at the time but did anyway). In hindsight I really just don’t get it. How securely tucked-in do you need a shirt to be?!? Now that I’ve ranted I’m sure it’s gonna make a huge comeback.

5. Emily M-T 04/27/2009 at 2:11 pm #

What about floral prints?

6. Shelbz 04/27/2009 at 4:17 pm #

Bleh, the things that I wore in the 90’s, scary.
    Ruffle socks were popular. :(

Of course you can’t go wrong without some My So-Called Life for the 90’s look. What a great 90’s show.

Oh yeah, my mom put those stupid looking headbands that look like garter’s on me.

7. Lulu 04/27/2009 at 6:03 pm #

Oh belly shirts!
    We used to get handkerchiefs and tie them around us as shirts for a while because our parents wouldn’t buy us any/let us wear them… of course, this was when I was about 7 years old…. ;]

8. Spring 04/27/2009 at 7:41 pm #

tight white jeans! perhaps with a little tight roll at the bottom.

9. Arielle 04/27/2009 at 10:14 pm #

I remember stir-up pants that I wore, hah. I’ve seen those around now & I am just like, omg… I can’t believe they’re back. They’re horrible!! I also remember the big sweatshirts that you would let one shoulder hang out. Kelly Kapowski was a big one for this too. For the scrunchies, I also remember using them to scrunch up your oversized t-shirt. Oh man. So many cheesy things in the 90’s…

10. Courtney 04/28/2009 at 5:10 am #

What I seem to recall most about 90’s fashion was the diversity and, many cases, androgyny. If you were on the hippy side, then you probably enjoyed the big 70’s revival that happened. Platforms, Birks, and clogs made a big comeback, as did over-sized Greatful Dead T-shirts and long hair parted down the middle, sometimes with a braided piece or two. However, if you were a girl on the preppier side then you probably dressed like a schoolgirl with the white knee socks or thigh highs, Mary Janes and plaid skirts (think Alicia Silverstone in “Clueless”). Preppy dudes generally wore Dockers or just regular jeans with a brown braided leather belt and maybe a golf shirt. If you were into hip hop, there was the already above-mentioned baggy pants, overalls with one strap on and one strap off, and if I’m not mistaken it was also cool to wear sweats, but only if you pushed ONE pants leg up to about the knee. The skaters and indie crowd dressed pretty similar with their flannels, long denim shorts, and T-shirts featuring their favorite bands, but a skater was more likely to be wearing Pumas while the indie crowd donned Doc Martens.

11. Sophie 04/28/2009 at 5:34 am #

Happy Pants were all the rage in our primary school. So many bright colours and crazy patterned legs. I also had a pair of stir-up leggings! I wore them with big white sneakers that lit up at the back when I walked. Loved those shoes. The goose down jacket kind of looks like the one George Costanza wears on Seinfeld…”its gortex” :)

12. Rachel 04/28/2009 at 8:24 am #

Courtney – you are so right about the “hippie-chic” revival! I’d forgotten all about that, although it dominated my wardrobe much of my Junior and Senior year in high school! Perhaps I’d just subconsciously blocked it out!!

13. Alli Denning 04/28/2009 at 8:43 am #

Thanks for the great post on 90s fashion and for the link to our body suits page!

14. Maggie 04/28/2009 at 9:21 am #

Wow! Great responses.You’re definitely bringing back some intense 90s memories involving stir-up pants and ruffled socks. :)

15. carolyn 04/28/2009 at 10:29 am #

Tie your shirt through a ‘belt-buckle’ – nobody seems to remember this, but in Montreal..It was huge.. they came in round or square ‘belt-buckles’, plastic or metal, and you would weave the front waist of your shirt through the buckle..tummy showing.

16. Katharine Ellis Tapley 04/28/2009 at 11:51 am #

Remember the baby doll dresses? The baby doll jumpsuits? Wait, was that at the tail end of the 80’s?

17. Sara 04/28/2009 at 6:03 pm #

sunflower prints
    Ultra-flared 70’s jeans that made a comeback at the end of the 90’s.
    peace signs, yin-yangs
    Tommy Hilfiger logo t-shirts
    tube socks and knee-high socks with shorts or skirts
    plaid….flannel shirts ESPECIALLY, but plaid on everything
    leggings (at the beginning and middle of the 90’s)
    Ultra-huge t-shirts, usually in a neon color, that you would tie towards the front at the side
    matte lipstick, usually in a brown or reddish shade
    bangs
    bobbed hair
    the Rachel haircut

18. Bryanna Wright 04/28/2009 at 8:15 pm #

Kelly Kapowski looks sooooooooo good!!!
    We need more models like her!

19. Courtney 04/29/2009 at 3:47 am #

Carolyn – I remember when girls tied their shirts through a belt buckle! I had completely forgotten about it, though, until you mentioned it. It was a short-lived fad where I live.

Sara – The Rachel haircut! Ooooh! Good one!

Okay, so all of this talk of 90’s fashion made me feel really nostalgic and I got out the old photo album. Here are a couple of photos that just SCREAM 90’s fashion to me. First of all, WHAT IS UP with the ultra-baggy T-shirts and soccer shorts? LOL! (I’m the girl with the long hair on the right in the white Pearl Jam T-shirt. Still a HUGE PJ fan, btw!)

And this one has a couple of good examples of the floral pattern craze. Our shirts and dresses could have been made out of old people’s wallpaper, I swear. (P.S. I’m not in this photo, but I’m sure my friends wouldn’t mind me posting this. We laugh at this photo all the time.)

20. Amber Riley 04/29/2009 at 5:56 am #

Double-laced sneakers! Snap bracelets! POGS!?! Those fat pens that let you switch between, like, 8 different colors! 90’s trends were so cheesy but so much fun. I guess you could say that about almost any decade.

21. Donna Smith 05/13/2009 at 10:18 pm #

The amazing 90s! I would sport the Grunge look and huge, colorful scrunchies all the time. It irritated my folks to no end, but it was all worth it. All my piercings and tattoos are from the good old days and I still cherish them. Still have a soft spot for scrunchies as well. Just can’t give up on them! =)

22. Caitlin 03/23/2010 at 6:02 pm #

Does anyone remember those white platform steve madden sneakers???? hahaha

23. Amba 06/07/2010 at 11:52 pm #

TENCEL DENIM… and SNAP PANTS

24. Double-A Ron 07/16/2010 at 12:08 am #

Was I the only idiot in Zubaz? Black and white zebra striped pants baby!

25. Marina 11/27/2010 at 5:38 am #

My mom used to send me to school in floral print jeans paired with neon shirts with neon geometric shapes, ruffled socks and light up pokemon sneakers. I was five years old and knew it was a travesty. No wonder so many of the kids who were young in the nineties have grown to have terrible self esteem issues.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModLife » Blog Archive » Just for Kicks Name It and Win: Day 2 - 04/28/2009

[…] of 90s fashion, who isn’t loving the triumphant return of hi-tops? It’s not often you find a shoe with […]