San Francisco Countdown

Last weekend, I spent a little time in a new city visiting some college friends. It was a ton of fun to catch up with them and see some new sites! Here’s what I learned during my trip to San Francisco…

• 1. Dolphins swim under the Golden Gate Bridge.
    Yep, it’s true. I saw them. They were leaping out of the water and everything!
  • 2. The intricate workings of cable cars are fascinating.
    I have been very undereducated about cable cars! My hubby wanted to go to SF’s Cable Car Museum and I hesitantly obliged, only to find that it was quite interesting. (There are cables continually running under certain streets, and the operators have to grasp these cables in order to move the cars.) I highly recommend this free museum!

[clockwise from top: 3. doggies with neckties, 2. the Cable Car Museum, 6. my hubby and I at the Fisherman's Wharf,  5. Haight-Ashbury]

• 3. People make neckties for dogs.
    As we were hiking up a street, we stumbled across a doggie boutique, and decided to buy something for Reese, since she stayed with her grandparents over the weekend. Some items were way cool, like this treat puzzle, and my favorite- the doggie collar necktie. It was totally adorable, but a little pricey. I’m hoping Liz can make one in a DIY post someday!
  • 4. The Ghirardelli Chocolate Shop gives away free chocolate squares.(And, if you go through the shop a second time, you get a second square!) Neal also spotted Tracy Morgan as we were walking through the Fisherman’s Wharf area… I saw his back.
  • 5. Some people wear floral spandex.
    Ok, so I had to check out the vintage fashion on Haight-Ashbury. I found some great pieces that might just pop up on the site some day(!) And I also saw some bold statement-making street style. Uniqueness was being embraced on this historical hippie street. That’s right, feel free to wear your floral spandex, ma’am. I wore a two-day old sweatshirt.
  • And that would be number 6. SF was not as warm as I had expected!
    What valuable life lessons have you learned while traveling?

About ModCloth

10 Responses to San Francisco Countdown

1. Shelbz 05/07/2009 at 12:55 pm #

Did you go to Alcatraz? And yeah, San Francisco is really windy and cold, good thing I had a jacket with me on my travels through the city. Ghirardelli shop was yummy.
    In Yosemite, I learned that even though it may be a bit cold, wear sunscreen. Worst burn ever.
    Also, I learned not to travel when I feel sick, I ended up going to New York with a fever when I got there.
    In Chicago, especially during Lollapalooza, it may be a windy city, but those concert crowds make it feel like it’s 100 degrees.
    Washington D.C. I noticed everyone loved wearing sunglasses…..even when it wasn’t sunny and indoors too. >_>
    Oh, oh, and also, I loved the old quarter in the machine boxes at Fisherman’s Wharf. I had so much fun in there, but that laughing lady was scary..

2. Shelbz 05/07/2009 at 12:56 pm #

Oh yeah, another thing, did you visit the steps that were on the exorcist? I did, man was that cool. Nice graffiti >_>.

3. Liz 05/07/2009 at 12:58 pm #

OMG doggie neckties?? tracy morgan??? a second square?? crystal i’m super jealous of your amazing trip!

4. Shelbz 05/07/2009 at 12:59 pm #

One more thing, I also went to where Janis Joplin and those hung out, I see you went there. There were some hippies asking for money and the smell of weed filling the sidewalks. But great food! And I went to Kid Robot. I love that place. Oh the times in SF, super great. I stayed at a hotel that I highly recommend, Hotel Diva. Such a cool place!

5. Kristi 05/07/2009 at 1:47 pm #

Did you get to the Ambiance store in the Haight? It is one of my favorite boutiques in the WORLD!! Just the perfect mix of cool stuff.

6. Tara 05/07/2009 at 3:50 pm #

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! My hometown!!!!

7. crystal 05/08/2009 at 6:04 am #

ooh shelbz, it sounds like you had an awesome trip to SF! (& the other cities too =) i got a surprise sunburn as well!! Even though it was chilly & i was wearing my hood over my head most of the time, by Saturday evening I had a pink face!
    i didn’t do alcatraz, but i heard that tour is really cool!

8. crystal 05/08/2009 at 6:59 am #

kristi, i must’ve missed Ambiance- we looked in Wasteland (which was a pretty cool place!) for a while…aka until the boys began looking for chairs =)

9. angela 05/08/2009 at 12:03 pm #

YAY! i live near SF…im 2 hours from it and it is like my second home. I love it there. Such great shops, great food and fun times. It can get hot there for sure but the bay and the valley get cold easily. You have to have thick blood to live in San Fran. Did you go to Fishermans Wharf and see the bush man. People do the craziest things to get money over there. I have this great pic of a dog with a cat sitting on top of him and then there is a rat on top of the cat!! WHAAAT. haha The guy that owned them had a can out with money in it. So i paid him for my picture. I felt like i should. haha glad you liked! Can’t wait to see what you picked up.

10. nat 05/13/2009 at 7:20 pm #

i go to school in sf and love it! the city has such a great vibe.

for touists, of course go to the haight. also, i highly recommend going to golden gate park on sundays when it is closed to cars. there’s free swing dancing lessons and great people watching! and be sure to check out the store in fisherman’s wharf that specializes in socks/leggings/tights–some very fun finds there.