Modern-Day Snow White

[Originally posted on theblackapple.typepad.com/somegirlswander/]

Emily Martin is truly a Style Inspiration! Not only does she post some of her very elegant, vintage-inspired fashions on her blog, but she also maintains another blog about the lovely artwork she sells on Etsy.

Her looks always have beautiful details; and I especially love the simplicity of the layers in this look. Plus that pretty red bow!

14 Responses to Modern-Day Snow White

1. Amanda Flynn 05/18/2009 at 8:55 am #

I’ve been following both of Emily’s blogs for over a year now and she is just brilliant. Her taste in fashion and style is downright brilliant and she’s been a huge inspiration to me as an artist and fashionista. Oh yes, and “Snow White” is the perfect name for her! :)

2. Brittany 05/18/2009 at 9:05 am #

Oh, my goodness, she looks like a china doll! Her dress is lovely; do any of you fashionistas know the name for that type of collar?

3. Shelbz 05/18/2009 at 9:56 am #

She prices her stuff way too high. Sixteen dollars for a painting of some girl’s head? I say ebay it and it’ll probably sell for 3 dollars.

4. Shelbz 05/18/2009 at 9:59 am #

(Although I’m more knowledgeable with Amazon, not ebay.) I can see with clothing that takes a long time, but a painting that looks so simple to do, and I can whip up paintings in like, 3 minutes if I wanted to that looked like that. Bit conceited, no offense to her.

5. Danielle 05/18/2009 at 10:43 am #

Time + Materials + Talent > $3

Shelbz, if you can produce the same quality of work and are willing to sell it for $3, contact me – I will be your best customer.

6. Jane 05/18/2009 at 10:49 am #

Shelbz,

If you are as confident in your abilities to equal and surpass as successful and talented a business woman as Emily Martin, I wonder why you have not done so. It is truly kind and selfless of you to hold yourself back so that others may shine.

And on a note actually related to the content of this post –

Adorable outfit and cute vintage bag. I love the way she mixes old, new, and handmade to create a style that is uniquely her own.

7. Brooke 05/18/2009 at 1:09 pm #

aww what a cute little doll face! i’ll check out the blog!

8. rebecca 05/18/2009 at 1:21 pm #

i love her style so much.

9. Shelbz 05/18/2009 at 4:29 pm #

@Jane – I’d rather sell work in art shows and galleries, I’m only 17 right now, but in the future, I’m willing to.

10. Miranda 05/19/2009 at 8:17 am #

I’ve been following Some Girls Wander for quite a few months now! I’m so happy to see Miss Emily featured her! She dresses as I dream to, it’s a joy to watch her blog!

@Shelbz, no offense, but you’re quite obviously not an artist, or you’d have no idea the skill/technique/time/materials/etc. that go into even what you feel is a simple, underrated painting. Her style is beautiful, and $16 for a piece of original art is more than affordable, it’s quite cheap really!

11. Miranda 05/19/2009 at 8:21 am #

@myself: *sigh*… options “you’d have an” and “you have no” seem to have combined themselves. Regardless, the point is the same. It’s rather pointlessly demeaning to run your mouth about your personal opinion as to the quality of her artwork and the accuracy of her pricing in a promotional blog such as this. If a buyer feels it’s overpriced, they won’t buy it, etc.

12. Meredith 05/19/2009 at 8:37 am #

I love her style but I could never do the red bow-tie… reminds me too much of working at Steak ‘n Shake (though our ties are black now, thankfully).

13. Laura 05/19/2009 at 4:28 pm #

I follow both her blogs, and love her style. That’s how i found this website actually is through her fashion blog.

Um, and sorry shelbz-but #1 she sells her originals for way more then $16. Dang, that’s cheap for a print! I have an original of hers, and a few prints. Why would you feel the need to put someone down like that? I would never buy from an artist that devakues their work so much as to sell it for $3 on Ebay? You’re just young I guess.

Anyway, I’m so excited to see Emily on your blog!

14. Laura 05/19/2009 at 4:28 pm #

Anyway, I’m so excited to see Emily on your blog!