Top Ten Clothing Words

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

As ModCloth writers, we get to play around with super snappy fashion words in order to describe our products. Here are our ten favorites:

1. Rickrack. We love how this word for zigzag trim sounds and how it looks on dresses like the Cut and Sew Dress!
  2. Frog Toggle. The name of this decorative closure makes us smile.
  3. Seersucker. As Lindsay discussed in her Fashion Dictionary post, we love the name and the look of this textured fabric.
  4. Smocking. Sometimes confused with ruching, smocking is often seen on pretty summer dresses like the Outer Banks Mini Dress.
  5. Peep Toe. The perfect name for spring footwear!
  6. Chambray. We love the feel of this lightweight fabric. If you’re a fan, too, then check out the Atmosphere Dress.
  7. Anorak. This snappy term for a heavy jacket makes winter outwear seem like less of a downer.
  8. Decollete Neckline is a French term for a plunging neckline. Ooo la la!
  9. Peplum. This waistline ruffle is a particularly hot wedding trend right now.
  10. Applique. A staple for crafty gals and a feature of our Hey Dude Vest.

12 Responses to Top Ten Clothing Words

1. Stephanie N. 05/18/2009 at 8:13 am #

I would like to add ball fringe. I don’t remember if I’ve seen in on any of your products, but it always makes me smile.

2. EmilyKennedy 05/18/2009 at 8:14 am #

Smocking, Peep Toe, and Decollete are my favorites! Can you tell I’m a pin-up girl in my closet? The hourglass shape is my friend!

3. Rebecca K. 05/18/2009 at 8:14 am #

Houndstooth is a good one. Sounds like it has nothing to do with fasion, but it is one of my favorite patterns.

4. Rebecca K. 05/18/2009 at 8:15 am #

whoops… fashion. not “fasion”

5. Shelbz 05/18/2009 at 9:43 am #

The words “Peep Toe” drive me effin’ crazy for some reason, like I want to punch a wall. Seersucker sounds dirty. Frog Toggle is funny sounding when I say it outloud. But seriously, when I see…..Peep Toe, oh god, I want to kill something.

6. Shelbz 05/18/2009 at 9:46 am #

Wait, isn’t spring almost over? I want a fabric to be named WAZAM! Or something like that, cause I like spazzy words.

7. Shelbz 05/18/2009 at 9:52 am #

@Emily – My frame is Twiggy-esque. Haha, no way am I near an hourglass, I’m so androgenious

8. Lauren 05/18/2009 at 10:54 am #

I think smocking makes things look kind of WalMart-ish (very cheap). If I’m paying a lot of money for something I want good quality and I want it to look like I paid good money for it!

9. Sarah 05/18/2009 at 11:16 am #

Frog toggle should be Froggle! ;)

Lauren–speaking of Walmart being cheap–I saw a bumper sticker recently that said “Mall Wart: The place for cheap plastic crap!” I enjoyed that bumper sticker very much!

10. Grace 05/18/2009 at 2:19 pm #

I find it quite funny that you view “anorak” as a “snappy term”! To British folk, and anorak is a slang term for someone with a deeply uncool obsession. Like train spotting, or star gazing. Brilliant!

11. Shelbz 05/18/2009 at 4:33 pm #

@Grace – Or like me, my obsession with suicide or murder stories…although it’s more of a morbid obsession.

12. Madalynn 05/18/2009 at 6:26 pm #

an Anorak, is the german word for a raincoat, if I remember?