A Bright Idea!

By guest blogger, Julianne:

I am always torn when thrifting as to what strikes me more: vintage clothing or mod decor…  However, having recently stumbled upon the 500,000 square foot Antique Mall in Ohio, I was a bit overwhelmed to say the least!  Amazingly, amidst the madness of what looked like a maze of mod decor and clothing, my purchase ended up being one of the first pieces that caught my eye walking in the door.

What: Pea Green Porcelain Equestrian (Chess-Piece-Inspired?) Lamp.  It’s missing the hardware for a lampshade, but it works!  Like the style?  You’ll love our Unicorn Princess Heels.

Where: Medina Antique Mall

How Much: $20.00

When I Use It: In my bedroom on just about any occasion when I’m in need of light that is not too bright!  I purchased this lamp knowing it was missing the piece to hold a lampshade, but this only fed my inner creative-ist to think outside the box.  I didn’t want to cover up any part of the awesome statue itself, so I opted instead to top it off with a unique bulb of low wattage.  This way, it is dim enough to shine and not too bright to blind any onlookers.

Shopping Tips: Be careful when purchasing vintage appliances & electronics!  This one had a very old plug at the end of the cord with exposed wire (which I didn’t realize) until I plugged it in, sparks flew, and the kitchen’s circuit broke.  Double check any wires, and with a quick trip to the hardware store, this problem was a handy fix.

Now I need your help!  My last step is to decide on a bulb, and so far I am still in need of more opinions…  I found two very different bulbs to top it off with, but each are very unique in its own way!  Which do you think would be the best bulb of choice?  Would you consider dropping your lampshade in the future to let your own stylish lamp shine?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

13 Responses to A Bright Idea!

1. Susan 05/27/2009 at 9:00 am #

I love these lamps, great find! Also, I’m super into the faceted bulb on the right, it adds a unique texture to the piece.

2. Meriel 05/27/2009 at 10:04 am #

I like the bulb on the right as well, I think it adds a lot the antique/vintage thing.
    However! I like the bulb on the left as well because it looks like the horse just had an excellent idea ;)

3. Krista 05/27/2009 at 10:28 am #

I prefer the bulb on the left because the lamp itself is interesting enough already. I find the bulb on the right draws attention away from the lamp itself.

4. Shelbz 05/27/2009 at 10:51 am #

I have an old 1950′s baby tiger lamp with everything still intact.

5. Shelbz 05/27/2009 at 10:57 am #

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9246/photo176.jpg I would use a better picture of it, but photobooth is more of a convenience.

6. Britta 05/27/2009 at 11:29 am #

I love those lamps!! I especially love the bulb on the right.

7. Mad 05/27/2009 at 12:01 pm #

I prefer the bulb on the left, I feel the like the bulb on the right is just a bit to distracting for this lamp, it takes focus from the actual lamp.

8. Cheyne 05/27/2009 at 5:07 pm #

I prefer the bulb on the left for this lamp, because without a lampshade, the neat chuncky one on the right takes away from the lamp itself.

9. Katie 05/28/2009 at 10:01 am #

Yes, I agree with most of the people above. While the bulb on the right is beautiful, it takes your attention away from the sheer awesomeness of the lamp (and that lamp is awesome!)

10. Melanie 05/29/2009 at 5:00 pm #

The bulb on the right adds to the whimsy. I love it.

I am green with envy!

11. Melanie 05/29/2009 at 5:00 pm #

The bulb on the right adds to the whimsy. I love it.

I am green with envy!

12. Melanie 05/29/2009 at 5:00 pm #

The bulb on the right adds to the whimsy. I love it.

I am green with envy!

13. Brittany 06/03/2009 at 8:09 am #

Too cute!!! Mad props for finding such an awesome bargain. I saw a pair of these online in a different color, and they were charging $275 for them. I was flabbergasted. I’ll stick to flea markets and antique malls, thankyouverymuch!

Oh, and I prefer the bulb on the left. It just seems to fit better.