Photo courtesy of Wikipedia User:Derek.Cashman
CHOMP. You’ve been bitten by the travel bug! Quick, somebody call the doctor – we need a diagnosis!
Ten Minutes Later…
Okay, examination finished. The result? A benign infection. Only side effect? Well, pretty soon you’ll start itching to learn about what’s beyond your front door.
Not to worry, ModCloth has the cure. We’ve created this new travel blog to let you vicariously voyage around. We’ll give you 5 great things to see or do in each featured place. Expect to read this post every two weeks, doctor’s orders. And since healing is a two-way process, we’ll be asking for plenty of contributions. So start gathering up your two cents to pitch in.
Read on to discover our first stop!
We’ll kick off the Travel Bug blog with the city closest to our hearts and minds: Pittsburgh, home of ModCloth!
Pittsburgh – the graceful lines of the bridges, the lush green of the rolling hills, the peaceful ripple of its three rivers. Since its humble beginnings in 1758, Pittsburgh has gone on to become a city full of character and blooming with art. Home of Andy Warhol, the first heart transplant and Ferris Wheel, Pittsburgh is full of fun and surprises. Let’s steal a look at ModCloth’s favorite Steel City destinations.
1. Elements. Chock full of fabulous vintage finds from clothes to furniture to photos, this darling store can entertain you for hours. Best of all? Everything here is a bargain! You won’t be able to walk away without a few great items, so be sure to bring along your Retro Fold-Up Shopping Bag for your new (well, sort of new) goodies.
2. If you really want a taste of Pittsburgh, you can’t miss The Strip. Buy fresh biscotti or handmade tortillas at the many ethnic grocery stores. Step into Mon Aimee Chocolat to satisfy your sweet tooth. Or grab a Primanti Brothers sandwich, a Pittsburgh classic stuffed with slaw, fries and your favorite filling. It might get tiring walking around, so slip on a pair of the Blue Lagoon Flats too keep your feet looking cute and feeling comfortable.
3. For a dose of interesting, up-and-coming art, head over to The Mattress Factory. With two large spaces for installations and a fascinating permanent collection, this museum holds its own even among bigger, more famous houses of art. Make sure to wear the Costello Glasses so that you look hip as the artwork.
4. Feeling peckish? Head to Coca Cafe for a brunch that would wow even Wolfgang Puck. With choices such as Herbed Goat Cheese French Toast and Apple Cinnamon Panini, you might have to try more than one thing. Wearing your Surreal Teal Dress, you’ll fit right in with the chic decor.
5. If you’re looking to have an evening drink, try Gooski’s. A neighborhood favorite, this bar boasts local brews, an eclectic jukebox, and plenty of character. To top off your outfit try the Osprey Headband to style your look for this relaxed, yet funky evening.
On our next voyage, we’re headed to Seattle! Don’t be shy now, tell us what places to check out in the home of the Space Needle!