Quench your thirst, not your plastic waterbottle!

Do you have an Echolism addiction?  We’ve got the perfect fix for you this week.  Moving into the ModCloth Green Scene spotlight: (Drumroll, please…)  The Whale of a Good Time Bottle & Fresh Water Forest Water Bottle! Have you been lost in the whirlwind of green media, hype, and heresay?  We’ve done our research and are here to break the facts down for you, H2O-style.

Not only can plastic water bottles be harmful to your health, they can also be harmful to planet earth!  (1) There is a chemical (BPA) Bisphenol A which can leach out of plastic, into our drinking water, and cause hormone changes in our bodies! (sciencedaily.com)  And (2) The cost in production, consumption, and lasting effects that plastic water bottles have on our earth is frightening!

Keep reading for some quick facts for you to soak in!

• Nearly 90 percent of water bottles are not recycled and wind up in landfills where it takes thousands of years for the plastic to decompose
  • Approximately 1.5 million barrels of oil – enough to run 1,000,000 cars for a whole year – are used to make plastic water bottles, while transporting these bottles burns even more oil (treehugger.com)
  • Bisphenol A (BPA), a compound in hard, clear polycarbonate plastics, is getting official scrutiny – and has raised concerns because it appears to mimic the effects of estrogen, interfering with hormone levels and cell signaling systems (health.usnews.com)
  • A Harvard study released in the spring (March 22, 2009) supports what many public health specialists have long assumed:  Hard plastic bottles containing bisphenol A are leaching notable amounts of the controversial chemical into peoples’ bodies (boston.com/news)
  • Stainless Steel is BPA free, 100% recycleable, non-leaching, and sustainable

And what better place to tote your shiny new stainless steel water bottle than on a local outdoor trail, event, or even challenge!  This upcoming Saturday, I will be participating for the second year in a row in the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge.  With 34 miles of grueling hills and trails, I’m going to need some massive hydration and would rather not do so with chemicals in my water.  Check out Active.com, there are 600 people registered to participate (and they come from all over the country!) Will I possibly be passing any ModClothers along the way?

In short, water is a smart choice, but stainless is smarter!  Now I think all we need is a spokesmodel for a new stainless campaign… maybe Angelina Jolie?

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

7 Responses to Quench your thirst, not your plastic waterbottle!

1. J 06/15/2009 at 1:00 pm #

I would get a metal water bottle except that they are honestly always over priced, you’re essentially paying $20 for a metal cup, I’m in college, $20 on a cup is just not feasible when my water bottle was free at a health center. make it $12 and then I’ll get one.

2. Pam 06/15/2009 at 3:25 pm #

uber cute bottles!
    I bring my water bottle everywhere with me.

3. Jenny 06/15/2009 at 3:32 pm #

to J: buying your own water bottle is completely worth it in the long run!

4. Tori Bissell 06/15/2009 at 5:13 pm #

I like them too but I agree with J. The price is a bit steep for students. I will have to save my money I guess.

5. jennifer 06/17/2009 at 6:09 am #

I love the idea of stainless steel water bottles, but I have 3 complaints about all the ones I’ve seen:
    1) 20 oz. is not big enough for me. at all. I take a water bottle to work, I only work for 4 hours but there is no way to refill my bottle at work other than tap (ew). I drink a 32 oz bottle in that time frame with no problem and sometimes I run out even with that amount. So for me to buy a stainless steel bottle it would have to hold at least 32 oz.
    2) I hate the way the lids are on these bottles. They do not cover the part you put your mouth on. I take a water bottle with me pretty much everywhere and I don’t want to have to be super careful and worry about what its touching at all times. If I throw it in a tote bag or it falls to the floor board of the car, I don’t want to have to wash it off before I can put my mouth on it. Seriously, I don’t understand what people are thinking when they make these water bottles with the caps that don’t cover the part where you drink from!!!
    3)They are way overpriced.

6. Jean 06/17/2009 at 9:59 am #

I agree with the objections to plastic water bottles on conservation grounds. However, The BPA claims are very weak:

“WASHINGTON, DC, June 15 — Media reports of alleged health risks associated with the chemical BPA were seriously misleading and caused unnecessary public anxiety, according to an independent study released today by the Statistical Assessment Service at George Mason University.

The study accuses the media of ignoring the extensive research of respected scientists and major health agencies in the United States and around the world, which found BPA was not only safe but played an important role in ensuring food safety. Instead, over the past two years, the media has promoted a series of seriously flawed, often unreplicated and irrelevant studies by a small group of activists claiming that BPA is harmful.
    … ”

Whenever sensational “scientific” things are reported in today’s media, we should rally take a few minutes to verify.

7. Kim 06/18/2009 at 5:53 am #

Take from these studies what you will, but I know the choice for myself (and my new family!!) is to go BPA-free. I never liked the taste of plastic water from my Nalgene bottle, and I’d imagine if it tasted like plastic, I was probably ingesting a chemical from the plastic. Put two and two together for yourselves, people. I have a BPA-free 32 oz. Camelbak water bottle – with a bite spout so you don’t get water all over yourself – for $13 from Amazon. It’s not very cute, though, soo that could be where ModCloth could come in and make a bottle that’s a) BPA-free b) MUCH cheaper than stainless c) won’t make people who hate having metal on their teeth utterly cringe d) you can see how much water is left and e) won’t dump water all over you/desk/car/tube. The customers have spoken :) go get ‘em, tigers!