Outfit of the Week: How the West Was Cute, and You Can Be Too

For my Outfit of the Week, I was inspired to do a modern interpretation of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. I know, I know, that show was kind of bad, but I’ve always loved pioneer-girl style, and I couldn’t help reworking it for the twenty-first century! I adore the How the West Was Cute Belt, so I basically based my whole outfit around it. To go with the belt, I chose the Scout Finch Top and the Independent Press Skirt in Denim. I didn’t want to look too Western, but instead more old-timey, so for shoes I decided on the Opulent Oddment Oxfords. To dress the outfit up a bit, I picked antique-looking jewelry – the Time for Romance Watch Necklace and the Renaissance Cameo Ring. And of course, I had to have a “doctor’s bag,” the Dapperly Dietrich Satchel. What TV show character inspires your fashion choices?

About Turi

Turi likes trying exotic food, exploring new places and, of course, writing. When she's not writing for ModCloth, she's working on a novel (aren't we all?!) and finishing up her MFA in fiction writing at the University of Pittsburgh.

11 Responses to Outfit of the Week: How the West Was Cute, and You Can Be Too

1. Lindsay 06/18/2009 at 7:33 am #

I love it!! Great look, Turi!

2. Keara 06/18/2009 at 7:52 am #

Chuck Charles from pushing daisies, of course :)
    and I will rock a Bret or Jemaine look every once in a while. Gotta love that whimsical kiwi style!

3. Caitie 06/18/2009 at 8:31 am #

The character that inspires me isn’t actually from a TV show, but a movie. It’s Penelope, from the movie Penelope, staring Christina Ricci and James McAvoy. I actually just did a post on her on my blog…

~ Caitie

4. Caitie 06/18/2009 at 8:31 am #

~ Caitie

5. Oneida 06/18/2009 at 8:48 am #

Adelle DeWitt, from Dollhouse, is always sophisticated and slightly vintage. I want to dress like her when I have to act professionally.

6. Liz 06/18/2009 at 9:03 am #

TURI! You look amazing! I want this whole outfit now!! :)

7. Madalynn 06/18/2009 at 2:35 pm #

Absolutely adorable.
    Besides Carrie Bradshaw (especially seasons 3 and 4), Pam from The Office (so classy!).

8. Kate 06/18/2009 at 6:48 pm #

That outfit is quite adorable, but with the pouch on the How the West was Cute belt, why do you need a bag? Maybe that’s just me and my carry-the-bare-minimum impulse, but I don’t see the need to have to keep track of a bag when you can fit everything in the pouch on the belt. (That pouch is the reason I want that belt!)

Oneida, I completely agree. Adelle DeWitt always looks amazing. I’m jealous.

9. Anna Marie 06/19/2009 at 7:36 am #

Turi – I love it. Old timey looks are my favorite. You look so adorable.

10. Chelsea- Tom's Sister 06/19/2009 at 2:32 pm #

Turi- You’re looking hot! I’d love to see a braid just like Dr. Quinn to finish the look. Fabulous!

11. Barb Dogger 06/23/2009 at 8:43 am #

Turi, You look so classy! The outfit works perfectly. We want to see more outfits soon!!

xo