The rumor around the ModCloth office was that Saad, one of our fantastic User Interface Designers, could make the tastiest dish in the world. Turns out that bit of gossip was totally true, and luckily for us, he’s sharing the secret!
Saad’s signature dish is chole, a mÃ©lange of tangy, sweet, and spicy flavors that work in perfect harmony. Chole (a.k.a. Chole masala or channa masala) is a type of ‘chaat,’ which means ‘mix’ in Hindi/Urdu. It’s typically a side-dish or a party dish, but it’s also a street food in Pakistan and India. Chole is great as a snack or a meal, and wonderful served over naan, or with yogurt over top. The tangy taste comes from the tamarind and amchur (dry mango powder) found in the chaat masala.
Saad said he learned to make chole from his mother, who “is probably the best cook in the world.” It was one of the first Indian or Pakistani dishes he learned to cook, because of its simplicity! Plus, it’s vegan, so everyone can enjoy it!
Saad’s Amazing Chole
- 2 14-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 large potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 green chili peppers, chopped chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons tamarind concentrate (Find at any Indian or Asian store)
- 2 tablespoons chaat masala (find at any Indian store)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil
- Garam masala (optional)
- Heat up the olive oil over high heat in a pot. Add the cumin and the chili peppers. Stir fry for 1 minute.
- Drain 1/2 the liquid from the chickpea cans. Add them into the mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Add tamarind, salt, and chaat masala. Incorporate into the mixture.
- Add tomatoes and potatoes. Mix well. Bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and throw a lid on your pot. You know it’s done when the chickpeas lose their shells, the potatoes are tender, and the tomatoes have released their water into the dish.
- Turn off heat and let the sauce thicken. If you’re feeling extra spicy, you can incorporate some garam masala to taste at this point.
Do you have a favorite recipe that everyone wants? It could be featured as a ModCloth Cooks post!