Romper Do or Romper Don't?

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

romper playsuit jumpsuit jumper onesie what i wore jessica schroeder dainty june modcloth designer vintage emo retro indie mod(images taken from daintyjune.com & whatiwore.tumblr.com)

We say do! Rev up your wardrobe with a romper, one piece that has experienced a major reinvention in modern day fashion! This trend is worn by signature style icons like Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley, Zooey Deschanel, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen and singer Duffy, who recently sported a fabulous nautical-inspired playsuit at Lollapalooza (similar to our own Sailor Suit Romper). In different regions the romper has taken to a variety of different names… from playsuit, jumper, onesie, jumpsuit, to the good ol’ fashioned french barboteuse. However you identify it, this is one easy to wear, and even more fun to accessorize style!

The above looks from left to right feature the Dockside Romper as a quick and easy bathing suit cover-up, Dainty June’s Formal-i-tee layered with a solid colored Over the Rainbow Jumper, and on the right our current blogger of the moment, Jessica Schroder sets out in our simply styled Milky Way Romper!

Take a refreshing look back at some of our favorite Blogs featuring jumpsuits!

Jumper for your Love!

Vasil’s Guide to Rompers!

Summertime and the Livin’ is Easy

Fashion for a Cause!

Thrifty Threads: Make Room for Rompers

Badlands Romper on wishwishwish

Take your rompers through the seasons by simply layering them with tights and comfortable cardigans. And keep an eye out for our Semi Sweet Romper to launch soon: sophisticated and playful, it’s a guilt-free indulgence you’ll have to try on for yourself!

Lastly, what is your take on the romper? Do you love it or would you leave it?

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

, , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Romper Do or Romper Don't?

1. Mandy 08/24/2009 at 1:48 pm #

A DO, if done correctly. :)

2. Rebecca 08/24/2009 at 1:50 pm #

I bought my first romper the other day. Basic black silk so I know it’ll go with anything! I like the last two rompers in the pics above… not sure about the first one. I like them to have the illusion of a “dress.” Romper do!

3. Anna H. 08/24/2009 at 2:18 pm #

I just got my first 3 rompers (at least, my first ones since I was 4) this summer and they’re a total DO! I’m with Rebecca, however: I prefer the “culotte dress” type of romper (which is what all 3 of mine are–fitted top, billowy, flowy bottom). They look like a dress, but improve on the design by removing the danger of accidentally flashing someone. ;-) I also hate it when I sit down in a short dress–and no leggings–and the skirt part billows out and leaves my undied derriere against the seat… especially in hot weather, YUCK! But it’s not a problem with even the shortest of culotte dresses!

4. Sydney 08/24/2009 at 4:17 pm #

Rompers are one of those things I would just never, ever wear. It’s like wearing pajamas in public, and that is a major no-no, in my opinion. Heck, I won’t even wear lounge or athletic wear in public unless I’m actually working out!

5. Maggie 08/24/2009 at 4:24 pm #

My favorite ModCloth romper is the Troop Beverly Hills Romper: http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Bottoms/Rompers/Troop+Beverly+Hills+Romper It is simple and chic!

6. aire 08/24/2009 at 4:29 pm #

I love rompers! I can’t wait to wear one in the fall with tights, cute boots and a cardigan!!! They’re so easy to layer!

7. Anna H. 08/24/2009 at 4:33 pm #

Now that I consider this post a little more… what qualifies the garment in the middle pic as a “romper”? If that’s a romper, what the heck defines a romper? I, in my admittedly incomplete fashion wisdom, thought it had to be a one-piece coverall garment with legs, whereas that appears to be a not-at-all-coverall skirt with suspenders (a jumper, as ModCloth names it, yes; a romper, as in the subject of this post, no). Couldn’t you find three ROMPER styles you liked… for a post about rompers? O_o

8. Anna H. 08/24/2009 at 4:38 pm #

(Didn’t mean any confusion with drawing a distinction between a romper and a jumper; after posting my comment I remembered that “jumper” is offered as a synonym for “romper,” while I was raised calling overall-style dresses–like, usually denim, with the buckled straps, that you wear a t-shirt under–”jumpers.” Sorry!)

9. Pam 08/24/2009 at 6:03 pm #

I’m wearing one as we speak. In my opinion, I love rompers!
    Yeah the girl in the middle isn’t wearing a romper,its a jumper.

10. Becca Boo 08/24/2009 at 9:08 pm #

Ive been hoping they’d be in style for a few years now! So glad they are here!

11. Jen Erickson 08/24/2009 at 11:54 pm #

I look Good In rompers i just need to buy one haha =D these are darlingg.. =D i cant wait for them to be the trends in highschools haha maybe ill just start them there like i did plaid. hahaha =D <33

12. Valerie 08/25/2009 at 4:42 am #

Hate them, they’re hideous. I can’t wait for the day they go out of style.

13. Valerie 08/25/2009 at 4:43 am #

By the way, the girl in the middle is wearing a jumper.

14. Erin 08/25/2009 at 11:54 am #

I hate rompers. In my opinion, we should never have revived them. What’s next, leisure suits? But, hey, to each her own.

I do enjoy jumpers though, like the girl in the middle picture is wearing. I think there is a difference.

15. Mireille 08/25/2009 at 6:34 pm #

Rompers are awesome!!!

16. Alexandra 08/25/2009 at 10:26 pm #

Yes! Yes! Yes! I just bought a great one yesterday (that came with a belt, by the way xD); now I’m on the prowl for the perfect pair of tights. Of course you definitely have to have the right romper for your body shape or it all falls apart.