Top Ten Random Facts That You Didn't Really Need to Know

(Image Above: Secret Shadows Blog)

Did you know that one in ten people listens to Barry Manilow each night before bed? Actually, that’s not true. There are, however, plenty of other useless facts to fill up your head. Since we know you’re just aching to fill your noggin with trivial trivia, this week’s top ten is henceforth the Top Ten Random Facts That You Didn’t Really Need to Know. Enjoy!

10. 1 in 5,000 North Atlantic lobsters are born bright blue. They probably spend all day singing, “I’m blue abadeabadi abadeeeabadi abadeeabadi.”

9.  The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache. That must be un-bare-able for him. How can he face the other kings?

8.  The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley’s gum. Guess the bar code worked well because they stuck to using it.

7.  Pliny asserts that kissing a donkey’s nostril will cure the common cold.  If you believe this you’ll make a… fool… of yourself.

6. Starfish don’t have brains. Apparently, grey matter doesn’t matter for these sea creatures.

5.  A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbook can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court. I wonder if putting gold on a tennis court would reduce its net worth.

4.  Astronauts get taller when they are in space. This one might be stretching the truth.

3.  With two forks and a charge, a pickle will emit light. Glowing pickles?  I’ve got to see that.

2.  Fortune cookies were actually invented in America, in 1918, by Charles Jung. I wonder if this lucky man dreamed them up sitting in bed.

1.  Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite. Really?  That’s absolutely nuts!

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

12 Responses to Top Ten Random Facts That You Didn't Really Need to Know

1. Julie 08/24/2009 at 3:00 pm #

your puns never cease to let me down. keep it up funny lady

2. Jackie 08/24/2009 at 3:29 pm #

I saw the pickle test on a season 2 episode of CSI

3. S. 08/24/2009 at 3:43 pm #

The fork and pickle thing is pretty cool – My high school chemistry teacher did it for us! It emits quite a bit of light.

4. Anna H. 08/24/2009 at 4:08 pm #

Net worth. Ha ha. :D

The one about the astronauts doesn’t surprise me. I’m a good 3/4″ taller in the morning than I am at night (due to the compression of the spine that occurs while you’re upright all day).

And that’s really interesting about the lobsters. The Wikipedia article on the American lobster (aka Atlantic lobster–must be what you’re talking about?) says that only 1 in 2,000,000 is blue, however. What’s even cooler is this: “On July 13, 2006, a Maine fisherman named Alan Robinson caught a half-and-half lobster, where the colors are perfectly divided on each side of the shell. He submitted the brown and orange lobster to the local oceanarium which has only seen three lobsters of this kind in 35 years. The chance of finding one is estimated at 1 in 50 million.” WHOA!

5. Hannah 08/24/2009 at 4:21 pm #

Anna, that’s an awesome lobster fact! I didn’t wiki mine, but perhaps they’re right. I want a dual-colored lobster!

6. Anna H. 08/24/2009 at 4:42 pm #

And I kind of want to work at an “oceanarium.” That sounds AWESOME. :D ;)

(Well, I kind of am getting a degree in marine science…)

7. KR 08/24/2009 at 6:37 pm #

The pickle fact made me laugh out loud.

8. kim s. 08/24/2009 at 9:04 pm #

i want to be at the dinner where someone decided to charge up a couple of forks and a pickle! bet that was some “electrifying” conversation. a-ha ha.

9. Emily L. 08/24/2009 at 11:25 pm #

I saw the glowing pickles firsthand at MIT’s Campus Preview Weekend for the pre-freshman this spring. They were set up in a circuit with forks connecting them to wires–it works because the salty water inside them is an excellent conductor. :-)

10. Christina K. 08/25/2009 at 11:03 am #

about the king of hearts..he’s also killing himself!! if you look at the picture, he’s stabbing himself in the head with a knife. maybe it has something to do with the fact that he doesn’t have a mustache? haha.

also, i looked up pictures of blue lobsters!! they are so pretty! i want one. =)

11. Elissa of Spandexpony 08/25/2009 at 3:20 pm #

Yes, and I hear Freud invented dimsum!

12. allison 08/26/2009 at 9:38 pm #

i don’t like these stupid puns, but i had no idea about the king of hearts or the blue lobsters. very cool