It’s official! Autumn started at 5:18 EST on September 22nd. And I, for one, could not be happier. Layering for the cooler days ahead means making use of my entire wardrobe – even my favorite pieces acquired all summer long! That’s right – from shorts to rompers, strapless dresses to sheer tunics – your June through August staples can easily be styled for the brisk days ahead.
Read on to get my season-crossing looks!
For my first look (above, left), I turned the garden-party-perfect Rihanna Dress into a cider-sipping soiree style by adding the Dove Tail Blouse to the equation. It gives it a Blair-Waldorf-inspired feel that’s perfect for strolling the streets of Manhattan in the early October air. Also in this look: The Olympian Brogues, Chic Chevron Tights, Wonderland Headband, and the Braid Brigade Earrings.
Next up – shorts! Now it may seem as though all hope is lost for these summer companions once the the leaves start to fall, but it doesn’t have to be that way! I took the essential vacation outfit – the Skipper Shorts, and the Brain Freeze Tee – and turned it into an art-gallery-hopping look by adding the Moltisanti Blazer and the Sense and Sensibility Boots (and tights for extra warmth) to create a show-stopping rocker-inspired vibe.
Even spring favorites can be layered with summer essentials to create fall-perfect outfits. For this look (above, left), I started with the Hey Mr. Postman Dress. To get the essential autumn layers, I added my new favorite top, the Pastel Pastures Tunic, that features an adorable, but not overwhelming print. Knowing I’d be a bit too chilly at the October gallery crawl with these to pieces alone, I grabbed the Meadowlark Jacket and a pair of nude tights to keep me cozy as I strolled between galleries. I threw in the Walking in Memphis Shoes for an extra girly touch – they’re hard to resist!
I turned The Earhart Romper into a casual look that’s perfect for trips to the pumpkin patch or late-season farmers’ markets. The cozy Feminine Flouce Cardigan belted with the Poetry Prize Belt will warm hearts, even at the first frost, and the Peacock Feather Tights will turn heads any time of the year! Finish it (or any look) off with the Arbor Boots in Cherry, and let the compliments roll in (along with the holiday party invites).
Finally, here are some tips to keep in mind when deciding what to pack up this fall:
1. Sweaters are your friend. Any look can easily be paired with a cardigan or knit top to stay warm while you’re stepping out.
2. Footwear can change the entire vibe of an outfit. A dress may look summer-perfect with strappy wedges, but ready to frolic in the falling leaves when paired with boots.
3. Layers layers layers! Your favorite tee and your best strapless dress may not stand up against the cooler weather, but when layered can be a force to be reckoned with! Mix and match summer staples to create unique and unexpected looks.
4. Sweater knit tights. Need I say more?
5. Knit berets, scarves, and fingerless gloves are fun, adorable, and at your service once the rain turns to snow. They make any look seem more put-together, and it’s an excuse to start a knitting project of your own!
I hope this was helpful! How are you transitioning your own wardrobe? Thanks for reading, and happy shopping!