A Styletacular you don't want to miss, Modster Mash '09!

How do you plan on Franken-styling it up this October 31st? Do you get caught by the curse of the cookie cutter costume in a bag, or do you bring in a team of designers to handcraft a close to perfect clone of your favorite musician?

With a few tricks up our sleeves, Halloween sure can be a treat for your wardrobe! If you’ve been a ModLife fan for some time, you might recall last year’s Modster Mash, featuring looks from the likes of Audrey Hepburn, a First Lady, a Flapper, Amelia Earhardt, and Max Fischer from Rushmore. This year, we’ve upped the ante to prove that you don’t have to waste your money on an overpriced disposable costume, simply create a character from your existing mod closet!

A few headliners of this year’s Styletacular are Marne as Lady Gaga and Aire as Coco Chanel.

Marne as Lady Gaga

You don’t have to be dirty rich to create a costume everyone will go ga ga over, just throw together a crazy ensemble that shows off your shape, and the boys boys boys won’t be able to take their eyes off of you! “Lady Gaga is my favorite celeb right now simply because of her wicked style and great voice. She’s not afraid to get people talking and take huge fashion risks. This is why I insisted Vasil help turn me into Miss Gaga for Halloween!”

Marne is wearing: To No A-Veil Headband, Sparkle in the City Necklace, Junebug Sunglasses, Rocket Jacket, Cartwheel Bodysuit, Swashbuckling Belt, Unicorn Princess Heels in Pewter, Girly Girl Gloves in Black, The Chesire Clutch!

Aire as Coco Chanel:

“I would like to add that it was an honor to portray Miss Coco Chanel.”

Aire is wearing: Louise Hat, Concerto Skirt, Tate Modern Gloves, Flipside Tights in Similars, My So-Called Heels, Stricly Ballroom Jewelry Set

These are just two of our ten looks total, all created from ModCloth items! Want to see the rest?

Hannah as Wonder Woman:

“I’ve always loved dressing up like superheroes. Always had a romance with the classic comic aesthetic. Since I can’t really affect a Lichtenstein-like look, and will probably never be able to fly, develop x-ray vision, or amass superhuman strength, I must resort to other means capturing a comic appearance. The minute I saw this dress, it screamed ‘Marvel-ous’ to me. It oozed Wonder Woman out the seams, and I couldn’t wait to harness its extraordinary powers of awesome.”

Hannah is wearing: Alter Ego Dress, Sense and Sensibility Boots, One Tough Cuff, Licorice Rope Headband

Sari as Log Lady:

Log lady, the character from television series, Twin Peaks, is a perfect choice for an eerie off-the-wall Halloween costume. She seems to “share a psychic connection” with the log that she carries by her side at all times. While we do have a great alternative to carrying around a giant piece of lumber, it has yet to be determined whether you can actually receive psychic messages from our We Wood Craft 4 U Kit.

Sari is wearing: Cynical Teen Glasses, Green Acres Top in Oliver, Brooklyn Heights Scarf, We Wood Craft 4 U Kit, I Styled the Sheriff Boots

Danielle as Orphan Annie:

It’s a ModCloth life for Danielle who chose to dress as an Annie look-a-like for our Styletacular. You can score this Warbuck style with your own mod wardrobe, a curly red head of hair, and your own gee whiskers puppy by your side!

Danielle is wearing: Pure Mod-ness Dress, Hepburn Blouse, Sincerely Yours Locket, Simple Style Belt, Get to the Pount Spectators in Brown

Julie as Edie Sedgwick:

Dressed in the same Pure Mod-ness Dress as Orphan Annie, you can see how easily the same item can be transformed multiple ways! “As the factory girl herself, I thought it may be difficult to distinguish who I was dressed up as, since Edie’s style was quite – stylish! Hopefully carrying around my ‘Philosophy of Andy Warhol’ book gives it away!”

Julie is weaaring: Pure Mod-ness Dress, Max Headroom Sunglasses, Let it Bead Earrings, Just Fur Fun Vest, Flipside Tights in Similars, Bewitching Peep Toes

Paulette as Cyndi Lauper:

If you just wanna have fun when you dress up for Halloween, then why not transform yourself into the girl who started it all?

Paulette is wearing:  Show and Teal Shirt, Osprey Headband, Spun Fun Bangle, Archimedes Cuff, Girly Girl Gloves in Black, Little Sweetie Skirt, Pop Peep Toes in Yellow

Michelle as Disco Diva:

It looks like Michelle has caught a strain of the Saturday Night Fever for an outing to Studio 54, in her Bianca Jagger inspired outfit! She should be careful though, looking so seventies fab, it might soon be ‘raining men’!

Michelle is wearing: Just Fur Fun Vest, The Jigsaw Necklace, Simple Style Belt, Archimedes Cuff, Cuff Love, The Lita Clutch in Fender, Rhapsody in Blue Jumper, Whenever, Wherever Heels

Turi as Joni Mitchell:

Sitting on a big yellow ottoman, Turi’s outfit was inspired by a resemblance to the folk singer, whose picture can be seen here:  Joni Mitchell

Turi is wearing: Justify My Lace Top, Gattaca Skirt, Bibliophile Heels

Susan as Gwen Stefani:

In my opinion, anyone who dresses up as Gwen for an occasion is guaranteed to look anything but ‘tragic’! A style icon, as well as a musician who has stayed fresh with the times, if you want to take a sweet escape from the mummies and goblins of the holiday, dress yourself in “Don’t Speak” attire or as a “Rich Girl” and you’ll have a much more exciting costume than just a ghoul!

Susan is wearing: Simplici-Tee in Calm, Swashbuckling Belt, White Lightning Skinny Jeans, Sense and Sensibility Boots

What do you think of our Mod Styletacular? It was definitely a ModOffice smash, and we hope you are able to come up with some ideas inspired by ours! Can you see any of our other items as potential building blocks for your Halloween costume?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

36 Responses to A Styletacular you don't want to miss, Modster Mash '09!

1. Lauren 10/21/2009 at 4:35 pm #

i’m totally looking forward to channelling Gaga… i’m a big believer in No Pants, and i have a vintage corset i’d love to wear. plus, i’m bald right now so i can really easily rock a crazy wig!

lauren

2. amy 10/21/2009 at 5:33 pm #

oh man. that log lady costume is amazing… dead on!

3. Janet 10/21/2009 at 6:02 pm #

log lady is totally awesome

4. Tess 10/21/2009 at 6:06 pm #

I was considering wearing the Alter Ego dress as Wonder Women! Now I think I have to!

5. Jackie 10/21/2009 at 6:43 pm #

YES YES YES to Log Lady!!!

6. Jen 10/21/2009 at 7:04 pm #

I made a cute Flamenco Dancer costume out of one of your dresses. :)

7. Pam 10/21/2009 at 7:29 pm #

well, at my friends party an 80′s/90′s theme: I’m being a 80′s girls with,rubber bracelets,lace gloves and leggings,maybe a funky side ponytail.

8. Lora 10/21/2009 at 8:35 pm #

Thank you thank you thank you for having a plus size model here!!!!

9. denise 10/22/2009 at 4:01 am #

I actually squealed when I saw Sari dressed as the log lady. I’ve always wanted to dress up as Laura Palmer…wrapped in plastic. Too dark?

10. Sara 10/22/2009 at 11:51 am #

Here’s my Halloween ideas…
    COSTUME: Edna St. Vincent Millay; The American poet who wrote: “My candle burns at both ends
    It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends – It gives a lovely light.”

Mystic Seaport Dress
    Cloche To Your Heart – hat
    Colloquy Tights
    Venti Espresso Heels
    Light My Fire Lighter
    : )

Or a character from the CLUE board game…
    COSTUME: Mrs. Peacock (out on Halloween) with the candle stick

The 500 Days Dress in Karaoke
    Arabian Tights
    Catwalk Stilettos
    Vintage Your New Cukoo Purse
    Plumage of Burma Clip
    Light My Fire Lighter … (you could tie a red ribbon on the candle stick to make it look bloody ; ) xoxo

11. Lilly 10/22/2009 at 12:36 pm #

haha this post is awesome! I love all the looks!

12. Marianna 10/22/2009 at 2:09 pm #

Love the looks, love the models. Thanks for the frequent updates… an email subscription I enjoy getting. MOST AMAZING SITE EVER.

13. natalie 10/22/2009 at 2:15 pm #

THANK YOU for putting a normal-sized person in your shots. Lovelovelove it.

14. becca boo 10/22/2009 at 3:02 pm #

I love Edie I was her 2 years ago! I found a guy who made replicas of her famous earrings, I still wear them!

15. Jenny 10/22/2009 at 3:04 pm #

The pic of the Log Lady inspired me immediately! That is the most original costume I have ever seen. David Lynch would be proud! ModCloth rocks my world!

16. Faye 10/22/2009 at 3:11 pm #

I was about to say, “all of these are amazing”, but I have to vote no on the Gwen Stefani. I don’t think anyone would know who she was! I’d wear the boots in a heartbeat but they don’t scream GWEN at me. Considering Gwen has rocked some way more outrageous and defining looks in her time, there’s probably a variety of other places that could have been taken.

17. Melissa Kojima 10/22/2009 at 3:48 pm #

Oh how I love ModCloth! And oh, how I love the costumes you came up with. I think Orphan Annie is my fav.

18. Silje 10/22/2009 at 4:05 pm #

I love all the looks and the models too! Please put people in the clothes on modcloth.com, someone in the office will do. Cheerio from Norway.

19. Jennifury 10/22/2009 at 4:40 pm #

Love the Lady Gaga look. Where id you get the white lacy tights? Been trying to find some like that for awhile.

20. Susan 10/22/2009 at 5:06 pm #

Everyone looks so amazing! We have the most creative team ever :)

Faye, I was really trying to channel one of Gwen’s recent stage looks from the last tour – she was so inspiring to see live!

But I agree, she definitely has done some more outrageous stuff in the past – some of her pink hair looks from a few years ago would be great!

21. Sarita 10/22/2009 at 5:11 pm #

Thank you for having a plus size model doll it up! Loved the Chanel and Gaga, and Orphan Annie. Gwen Stefani was stretching it.

22. Laura 10/22/2009 at 6:49 pm #

i LOVE joni mitchell! nice job!

23. Guta 10/22/2009 at 7:12 pm #

They all look amazing! I love seeing “normal” people on the looks!

24. Jessica 10/22/2009 at 7:16 pm #

I am so mad. Log lady is MY costume this year and you’ve ruined it.

25. Zynab 10/22/2009 at 8:09 pm #

Love all the costumes =) My favorites are Lady Gaga and Orphan Annie. I’m being Lolita from Nabokov’s book for Halloween… going to wear a vintage 50′s dress, mary janes, bobby socks, pigtails, heart-shaped sunglasses and a lollipop! I just hope people won’t think it’s too weird…

26. Hil 10/22/2009 at 8:56 pm #

Love, love, LOVE to see regular people modeling. Kudos to ModCloth for not conforming!

27. Mary 10/22/2009 at 11:18 pm #

I agree, Hil… I wish Susan GK would model more! Is that Doofa Man in the Orphan Annie pic? I’m with Melissa… Orphan Annie is def. the most authentic looking.

*sigh* I just do not understand the fascination with Gaga… :( I don’t mind that she was included, but wish she had not been part of the cover-shot for the blog. As a rep. of the “lived-&-learned” generation, I just get SO turned off by her lyrics and antics… I felt that way about Katy Perry at first too but she seemed to take a more ladylike turn after her “Kissed a girl and liked it” song… Lady Gaga makes me feel old, and that is the opposite of how modcloth makes me feel!

28. Caitlin 10/23/2009 at 11:26 am #

I love how you were able to come up with a costume for Halloween, but not just any costume. I wouldn’t even call it a costume, it sounds too insignificant compared to this work. I’m really impressed at the ideas that ModCloth comes up with. They’re all a lot more interesting than the Macy’s overprices whatnot.

29. Megan E. 10/23/2009 at 12:08 pm #

Edie is my idol I dressed up as here for my birthday in July

30. amanda 10/23/2009 at 12:19 pm #

i was sooooo trying to work out how to do Edie without going to the stereotype, Gold just poped up on my laptop screen!

31. kam 10/23/2009 at 2:20 pm #

log lady is definitely my favorite x)

32. Meghan 10/24/2009 at 8:14 am #

hahahahahaha- LOVE THE LOG LADY

33. mar 10/30/2009 at 2:50 pm #

i also thought about going as the log lady (since my best friend is dressing up as david lynch!)
    either that or enid coleslaw from ghost world

34. Anel 11/11/2009 at 5:45 pm #

i completely loved the log lady!!! xD

35. Brad 04/25/2012 at 11:05 am #

I going to say you came up with some really cute outfits. I love Log Lady, never was a fan of Twin Peaks but, that’s such a cute look. Also the Annie is adorable and I’ve always been a sucker for a locket.
    Not sure about disco lady, i think you look really pretty and but my girlfriend would wear that out on a Saturday not for Halloween.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ModLife » Blog Archive » Halloween Costume Tricks ‘n’ Treats! - 10/23/2009

[...] is almost here, ModLovers! We know you’re feeling inspired by this year’s marvelous Modster Mash, but just in case you haven’t settled on the perfect Halloween costume just yet, we thought [...]