Be the Buyer!

At ModCloth, we’re big believers in fashion democratization, and we think everyone should get a chance to participate in the fashion industry! That’s why we’re launching Be the Buyer, a new feature that allows you to act as a virtual fashion buyer on the ModCloth team. What does this mean for you? You’ll get the opportunity to let us know which items you love enough for us to have them produced and then sold on ModCloth! Vote for the items that you want ModCloth to carry by clicking ‘Pick It.’ Your vote means that you feel strongly about bringing this dress into the fashion world, so please ‘Pick It’ with care! If enough people choose the item, that piece will be made with love and sold on ModCloth within just a few weeks. And don’t worry, if you clicked ‘Pick It,’ you’ll receive email notification as soon as that piece is available for purchase, thanks to your vote!

You see, sometimes there are designs that we absolutely adore, but the designer can only put them into production if they make a large quantity. As a small company, it’s difficult for us to make these big inventory commitments without knowing if you will love the designs as much as we do. It’s a little like mind reading. That’s why we’re asking you, the customer, to be a virtual buyer, and tell us which items you love! This might mean a little bit more waiting for your unique design, but it’s worth the wait to take part in the buying process, and support designs you love.

We hope you are as excited about Be the Buyer as we are! We can’t wait to see what you love, and what new designs get produced. So click here to start voting now!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

10 Responses to Be the Buyer!

1. maria 10/26/2009 at 9:33 pm #

What a cool idea!

2. Kat Keller 10/27/2009 at 1:23 am #

Do we get to set the prices too? Because THAT would rock (dress…$0.75).

3. Miss Millia 10/27/2009 at 11:10 am #

This is wonderful! Thanks modcloth!

4. c_tyler 10/27/2009 at 3:58 pm #

You all are genius! I love the new feature.

5. Kristen Renee 10/27/2009 at 5:54 pm #

I’m loving the idea… so far. You need some more cute stuff that a lot of us like, because right now, it seems like a lot of us aren’t liking the picks. Some of them just aren’t special enough to make me really want them.

6. Norma KH 10/28/2009 at 1:57 am #

I am not sure I am a fan of this new “be the buyer” thing. Next we’ll probably be asked to submit our own designs… and then it’s just a different kind of Threadless. I also don’t like seeing things I do like and knowing that they might not actually be sold on the site anyway.

7. Lizzy 10/28/2009 at 11:25 am #

I agree completely with Norma…This whole thing seems kind of pointless. When I go on to Modcloth I want to buy something not see what might be available to buy two week later, and thats if people vote for it? Stick to selling good products, and don’t get all gimmicky!

8. aire 10/28/2009 at 12:30 pm #

Hi Norma and Lizzy,
    Thanks for the feedback. Much of ModCloth’s success has come from featuring designers and brands that are truly unique and cannot be found anywhere else. It is our hope that through Be the Buyer we can open the door to even more emerging designers and designs that otherwise may not have been produced.

9. B 10/28/2009 at 4:09 pm #

I have to say I was disappointed in this feature – all the clothes are just so dull and look like things you can buy from ALLOY. Guess I expected better, so I’m not voting for any of them.

10. Alessandra 11/01/2009 at 8:00 pm #

When’s the cut off for voting? And when will we find out which clothes made the cut?