Here We Chica-go!

(Background Image Above: bga.org)

(Outfit Above: À La Mode Coat, Windy City Dress, Tights for Every Occasion in Ski Lodge, Academia Flats, Style Thesis Bag)

Prepare to be swept away by the wonders of the Windy City. Home of the deep dish pizza and modern improv theater, you better believe that ‘Chi-town’ doesn’t need to resort to chicanery to impress the ‘white sox’ off you. So, strap on those imagination caps and get ready for a journey to Chicago!

1. More cheese please! In your continuing quest to brie-ng more deliciousness into your life, you’ll want to stop at the Caputo Cheese Market. This cheesy wonderland has an unending selection of imported and domestic dairy goods, all priced for guilt-free consumption. If a sea of cheese makes your stomach rumble, don’t worry, the market’s deli has scrumptious sandwiches to sate the waves of your hunger.

2. Whether or not you’re an architectural maven, you’ll want to skip over to the Oak Park section of Chicago to take in the vicinity’s frankly fabulous Frank Lloyd Wright houses. With twenty-five Wright masterpieces to admire, his own home included, a stroll around these streets will cantilever even the most cantankerous of spirits with unending currents of amazement.  You can find a map of Wright’s Oak Park oeuvres right here.

3. Hosted in the basement of an American Legion hall, word has it that Rory Lake’s Karaoke Dreams is Chicago’s (or possibly the world’s) best karaoke experience. A homestyle-type affair with a wildly good song list and Rory himself fueling the party, these karaoke events have it all. You want pool? Check. You want a diverse crowd? Check. You want part of your expenditures to be donated to charity, and you want to have a heck of a good time doing it? Check and check.

4. Not sure how you might finagle this, but when you’re in Chicago, you’ll definitely want to find the Puppet Bike. Stationed on the back of a huge tricycle, this colorfully painted, six foot, roving puppet theater makes everyone who sees it bubble with delight. With a host of poignantly cute puppets and the tinker of playful music, the Puppet Bike might as well have “Smile” as its middle name.

5. Soon to set its cheerful cogs into motion, Chicago’s Christkindlmarket is a festive bit of fun no matter what your holiday traditions hold. So what if you can’t make it to Germany for the holidays? This market will make you feel like you’re in Berlin (minus the worry of understanding German, of course). From booths of tsotchkes to mugs of hot, spiced wine to lively musical performances, this market’s warm atmosphere will make you forget the cold.

So, all you Chicagoans, there’s been plenty left unsaid here. Tell us what else to see in your fair city!

Or, have you visited Chicago and have a story about your trip?

10 Responses to Here We Chica-go!

1. EmilyKennedy 11/12/2009 at 2:34 pm #

Oh my! You cannot leave out HOT DOGS!!!

Particularly Hot Dougs, and Weiner’s Circle after midnight.

Chicago is famous for their hot dogs.

2. Lauren Bellamy 11/12/2009 at 2:42 pm #

I’ve been to Chicago at least once a year in the past 10 years. I have family there. Love it!

Oh.. and love the beef sandwich’s with au jus from Rosies :)

3. Zach 11/12/2009 at 4:10 pm #

I LOVE CHICAGO!

4. Bridget 11/12/2009 at 4:15 pm #

Chicago is one of my favorite City’s. Once i went with my AP art class to A Modern art museum, where I was able to see some famous work (including Warhol’s Campbell’s Soup Cans), then we went to this amazing pizza place where people were allowed to write all over the walls and chairs and tables. best field trip ever.
    and once during Christmas I went with my family to the Christkindlmarket. its was amazing

5. Sirona Beuchler 11/12/2009 at 7:17 pm #

Chicago. That reminds, in less then a week I am getting on a plan in Chicago that is flying me to Alaska! I am soooo excited! You should create an outfit to wear on an adventure in Alaska, that would be awesome. ;)

6. nicoleann 11/12/2009 at 7:18 pm #

i’m from Chi and let me tell you, we have the best food ever! Make sure to stop by Garrett’s Popcorn (best popcorn – get the combo mix!), Eli’s Cheesecake, Lou Malnati’s (‘The Lou’ is my favorite: deep dish pizza with three cheeses, spinach, tomato, and mushrooms), and my personal favorite hotdogs are from Portillo’s – which has the best crinkle fries in the universe!

There are also so many cute vintage shops, but I would say definitely not miss the 3-story (I believe) H&M to get cute winter accessories!

Check out The Bean in Millenium Park, too. If you don’t know what the is…Google it! It’s interesting.

7. Stefi 11/13/2009 at 1:09 am #

I love the pieces you put together!

8. Allie 11/13/2009 at 1:32 pm #

@EmilyKennedy: Yes, Hot Dougs is amazing! I go there whenever I’m back in town.

@nicoleann: I totally agree about Lou Malnati’s. Deep dish for the win!

I think Chicago is the perfect city… but I may be slightly biased. ;D

9. Stephanie 11/16/2009 at 10:16 am #

Visit the Italian Coffee Bar for the best coffee ever! 680 North Lake Shore Drive. The workers are awesome and laid back and have a real passion for good espresso

10. Tori 11/22/2009 at 6:55 pm #

The outfit displayed above is so cute. I love the jacket.