From Trash to Treasure

(Image above: www.swyyne.com)

There is something very tragic about a beautiful, lone earring, or a favorite old sweater, or a lovely, orphaned glove, isn’t there? Well, now you can stop being sad! Here are five ideas for how to repurpose those items you can’t quite bear to toss. And if you don’t see anything you like here, visit ecoterre.com for more great ideas about how to upcycle wardrobe.

1. Come On, Get Strappy!

You know how bags sometimes come with an extra spare strap you never end up using? Try using it as a belt. Simply loop the strap around your waist and clip the ends together. Easy and ingenius!

2. Turn an Orphaned Earring into Shoe Bling!

Almost everyone has an earring that’s lost its mate. Too attached to toss it? Then don’t! Use it to add sparkle to a plain pair of shoes.

3. Use an Old Sweater to Make a Plain Chair Better!

Is your favorite sweater losing shape, or do you have a stubborn stain that won’t wash out? Reupholster an old or thrifted chair for super-cozy winter seating!

4. Turn an Old Glove into Hair Accessory Love!

In their Fall 2009 show, Dolce & Gabbana had models walking the runways with leather glove fascinators. Not into that idea? You might consider fashioning your lone glove into a glove-scarf or kisslock purse.

5. Make Plastic Fantastic!

Have plastic bottles lying around? Take out your scissors and get to work on an incredibly hip and surprisingly easy statement necklace!

What about you, Mod Readers? Do you have any tips on re-fashioning wardrobe “trash” into “treasure”? We want to know!

About ModCloth

7 Responses to From Trash to Treasure

1. Cornelia 11/16/2009 at 6:31 pm #

Gå gärna in på min blogg och ställ en fråga i min frågestund, fråga vad som helst och du får ett svar.

btw, fin blogg du har:)
    kram.

2. ali 11/16/2009 at 6:36 pm #

i use strips of ribbon and old buttons to make headbands with ribbon flowers on them. cheap and very cute!

3. aire 11/16/2009 at 6:54 pm #

This weekend I saw a ring made out of an old button! It was adorable, they just put wire through the back of the old, vintage button, and poof! And adorable ring!

4. Kate 11/17/2009 at 1:44 am #

I made a skirt out of a bunch of old neckties! I wore it as the skirt to my prom dress, and I’ve gotten a ton of compliments on it.

5. Kit 11/17/2009 at 7:30 am #

Great blog! I think we all need to learn how to recycle better. I love making ‘trash into treasure’. Oh, BTW Cornelia said:

“Feel free to visit my blog and put a question in my question and answer session, ask anything and you get a response.

btw, nice blog you have:)
    hug. “

6. Grace 11/17/2009 at 11:45 am #

One of my favorite things is buying oversize sweaters (made with wool or another animal fiber) from thrift stores and making them into purses. All you have to do is felt them!

7. Yuka 12/17/2009 at 10:47 am #

OMG! I was so excited to see you link to Swyyne that I almost hyperventilated. I absolutely adore ModCloth so keep the goodness coming and certainly link to us again whenever you please!