“Six inch ribbon curls, honey.”

Did I say Miracle on 34th Street is the quintessential holiday movie? Well, I’m afraid my opinion has changed. Miracle… can still be the quintessential holiday movie, but it’s going to have to share that title with Elf.

Granted, Elf is a little ridiculous, highly implausible, quite over-the-top, and well, kind of hilarious. But that’s what a great holiday movie should be! The icing on the cake? Elf features a blonde Zooey Deschanel, who plays Jovie, the co-worker and love interest of Buddy (Will Ferrell).

Jovie is a smart and beautiful young lady who just so happens to despise her job. As a department store employee during the holiday season, Jovie is forced to do everything from making impractical decorative ribbon curls to keeping crying children at bay. Enter Buddy, a fun, happy-go-lucky co-worker whose naivete, much like Edward’s, makes him totally lovable.

Jovie’s eclectic style seems to be contingent upon one factor: adorableness! She seamlessly mixes patterns, prints, and textures as easily as she wraps gifts. Jovie also has a great sense of cold weather accessories – colorful scarfs, stylish (and warm) coats, and delightful knit hats.

If you have to work during the holiday season, show off your festive nature with a few simple accessories, like the Betsey Johnson Bunki Nini Tights, the A Berry Spring Deal Headband, or The Gold and the Bow-tie-ful Clip. Or, if this season means bearing the chilly city streets of NYC, snuggle up in the Betsey Johnson Fre-knit-ic Energy Coat or the Cord Progression Coat, with the Crazy Little Thing Called Glove set over your paws and the Jill Frost Knit Hat atop your noggin for a cutesy, cold weather ensemble that will leave you looking as lovely as a holiday tradition!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

7 Responses to “Six inch ribbon curls, honey.”

1. aire 12/10/2009 at 1:03 pm #

Love this movie and Zooey!! Great post, Annie! :)

2. Natalie 12/10/2009 at 3:22 pm #

Dear Annie,

I love this post so much. Not only do I love Zooey, I also love Buddy the Elf. Also, I’m sorry I ruined your lives, and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR.

Love,
    Natalie

3. Natalie 12/10/2009 at 3:24 pm #

I had to comment again, because I am a cotton-headed ninnymuggins and I forgot to hit “love it!”

4. Janielynn 12/10/2009 at 7:06 pm #

Ha! LOVE zooey in this movie. We had this big Twinklefest parade where we live (well its like 20 guys drivin their trucks in a line but u know, small town) :) and me and my girlfriends all got gussied up in little Zooey-inspired elf attire, and me being the only brunette dyed my hair blonde and curled it in the holiday spirit. lol SO FUN! :D

5. Kristin 12/10/2009 at 7:41 pm #

Elf is hands down my favourite Christmas film. Zooey is super in it, and she does look totally adorable throughout the entire film.

This movie always makes me smile: I just like to smile, smiling’s my favorite!

6. Lisa 12/10/2009 at 9:25 pm #

Thanks so much for highlighting Jovie’s style! Everytime I watch Elf I wish I could have that hat she wears during the Christmas Eve scene.

7. Katharine Ellis Tapley 12/11/2009 at 1:59 pm #

Though I agree about the movie, I have to say I prefer her brunette.