Do  I even need to explain my reasoning behind choosing It’s a Wonderful Life for today’s merry movie style inspiration?

We all know the synopsis – George Bailey, played by the radiant Jimmy Stewart, contemplates suicide on Christmas Eve. His guardian angel quickly intervenes and, in an attempt to save George’s life, shows George a series of flashbacks which illustrate the profound effect George has had on his community, family, and friends. Awww! It truly is a quintessential holiday movie (along with Miracle on 34th Street and Elf, which I’ve previously gushed about).

Donna Reed plays Mary Hatch Bailey, George’s loving wife and high school sweetheart. Mary is not only an affectionate and supportive wife, she’s also a nurturing mother and a style icon. Mary’s hair is never out of place, nor is she ever without a smile – her wardrobe, replete with patterned frocks, velvet gowns, and sophisticated separates, only heightens her illuminating confidence, cheerful nature, and affable personality. Whether she’s dressed for a holiday soiree with a lace collar adorning her clavicle, or sporting a simple cotton dress running errands, Mary’s effortless style exudes happiness, which is truly inspiration!

Try your hand at creating a wonderful vintage-inspired ensemble by pairing the terrific taffeta A Dress Named Desire with the Lovely Lady Pumps in Liscious and the Little Black Tights. Accessorize with the Elegance in Bloom Headband and the Judy Bloom Necklace and you’ll be set for a festive holiday season!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

8 Responses to “You want the moon? Just say the word and I’ll throw a lasso around it and pull it down.”

1. Sarita 12/18/2009 at 12:55 pm #

I LOVE this film!

2. Megan 12/18/2009 at 1:26 pm #

good movie…you need to do Lady Sara Ashley for style inspiration from Australia….I mean those clothes are from God and so is Nicole Kidman!

I love her clothes in that movie because they are simple and chic…

3. Lindsay 12/18/2009 at 1:49 pm #

I love these posts so much Annie! They’re really getting me into the holiday (fashion) spirit.

4. Annie 12/18/2009 at 2:51 pm #

I’m glad!!! I know what you mean, though. I was definitely not in the holiday spirit until this week, but now I’m really excited, and just want to watch holiday movies all day:)

5. Sydney 12/18/2009 at 4:09 pm #

I love this Christmas film! I am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen, this coming Tuesday night at our local Fox Theater downtown!

~Syd Divine

6. Victoria 12/19/2009 at 10:02 am #

That is my #1 favourite Christmas movie! Jimmy/James Stewart has been my all time favourite actor since I was a small child. This is an amazing film.

7. Carolyn Sills 12/20/2009 at 1:33 pm #

Great post Annie! Hi everyone! If you love It’s A Wonderful Life, I think you’ll enjoy this Christmas song I wrote called George Bailey… it’s a love song for the man sung though the eyes of Mary with a swinging Phil Spector beat… would love for you all to take a listen! You can do so via my website or watch the youtube video below. Thanks and happy holidays!

Carolyn Sills

8. Megan 12/21/2009 at 12:20 am #

You have to be crazy to not love the style of that era…so prim and proper….sweet and kind…