Top 10 Fashion Fads of the Decade

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

(Image Above: highfashionsl.blogspot.com)

As the new decade draws near, let’s take a little trip down memory lane with the Top Ten Fashion Fads of the Decade. Do you remember…

10. Uggs. Few are sheepish about wearing these boots which became all that a few years back.

9. Frosted Hair. As modeled by Mr. Timberlake, this hair style, despite its icy name, was hot!

8. Crocs. Try pairing these with ‘gators,’ and you’ll be set for warm weather outdoors adventures.

7. Gaucho Pants. These were a wide success in their day.

6. Shutter Shades. Didn’t block out the sun, didn’t help you see, didn’t have much of a useful purpose.

5. Super Lo-Rise Jeans. “How low can you go?” should be left to the limbo.

4. Trucker Hats. These hats haven’t fully hit the road yet.

3. Pants with Writing on the Bum. Might as well have just written, “Look here” on the seat of these pants.

2. Velour Tracksuits. You didn’t have to think about finding a matching outfit in the morning when you wore one of these.

1. Tattoo Necklaces. Perhaps more late 1990s, but you still have to wonder what we all were ‘th-ink-ing’ when wearing them!

What fads do you recall?

27 Responses to Top 10 Fashion Fads of the Decade

1. Rachel C 12/28/2009 at 2:25 pm #

Ha, ha, ha–soooo funny! I hated all these fads, lol! And the velour tracksuit should definitely not make another lap in the fashion world! :)

2. Sonia 12/28/2009 at 2:47 pm #

In my school, Uggs are still disgustingly popular. Basically, if you don’t have a pair, you have no idea how to dress. I literally gag whenever I see someone wearing a pair. They can keep on wearing their hideous Uggs with their Hollister shirts and millions of fake hemp bracelets. I will happily wear my pretty dresses and heels :)

3. Allysa 12/28/2009 at 2:56 pm #

Oh Sonia,
    I completely agree with you! I do not think anyone could have said better!!

4. Grace 12/28/2009 at 3:47 pm #

Leggings. Ugh.

5. Emily 12/28/2009 at 5:24 pm #

Ugly Uggs, crocs and velour tracksuits!!! I also COMPLETELY agree with you Sonia! Everyone in my school wears them too, and they are soo hideous! I rembember the tattoo necklaces, everyone on my elementary school had these, included myself! bad times..

6. Natalie B. 12/28/2009 at 6:22 pm #

I have to agree with Sonia. Uggs are unattractive, yet, I must confess that I owned them out of necessity – college in the Lake Erie snow belt at a school that hadn’t cancelled classes since the 1800′s was treacherous!

I also have to admit that I owned a velour track suit, and I don’t regret it. It’s how I met one of my best friends. She was in her pink, and I in my tan, both rockin’ the Jenny on the Block look… It’s a bonding bad fashion memory.

7. Sydney 12/28/2009 at 9:15 pm #

These are all things I would NEVER wear….coincidence?

8. kristar 12/28/2009 at 9:21 pm #

thank god i never had any of these except maybe the uggs lol!

what you are missing are fedoras (the one’s you find at department stores with plaid patterns) like this one: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51274025/Fedora_Hat.jpg
    and also studded bets like this: http://www.flatspot.com/store/images/vans_clothing/oct_2008/vans_silver_studded_belt_ex.jpg

i’m sorry but, those two specifically are tacky trends as well

9. gizmogal 12/28/2009 at 9:47 pm #

Butterfly clips, hello!

10. Celeste 12/29/2009 at 1:29 am #

Good god, remember the Peasant Look? Ugly, fringey, flowy shirts, plus marginally-matching kerchief things on people’s heads, plus a dowdy skirt too if we were really unlucky.
    Kill it with fire before it comes back!
    Not that I feel strongly about it or anything…=P

11. Emily 12/29/2009 at 1:48 am #

Haha, oh the fashion trends!
    One that I remember:

Birkenstock “moccasins” that everyone wore (I consider them more of clogs, and I refused to wear them, though my little sister went through enough pairs for me!)

12. Amanda 12/29/2009 at 2:54 am #

oh, lord. The 4 inch thick flip flops with the gouchos.

13. Laura 12/29/2009 at 5:30 am #

Uggs always make me think at…..feet that STINK! blehaaa!!! there musta be some kind of “humidity” and unpleasant hot, in there……blehaaaaa!!! ;-P

14. Jess 12/29/2009 at 11:01 am #

Huh, the only one of these trends I have ever cared about or owned was number one…. the tattoo necklaces. But I didn’t get mine until 2006 long after the fad was over so now when I wear it it’s more of a conversation piece about the sixth grade rather than a fashion statement. Well that and older adults seem to think it’s real. *facepalm*

15. Carly 12/29/2009 at 11:45 am #

Well I can’t say I’m too keen on a current trend. I’m not loving the whole Battalion/ Band jacket look.

16. Kate 12/29/2009 at 2:23 pm #

Ugh, fads. My high school was populated with Uggs and Day-Glo coloured, skintight pants. Usually worn together.

17. Victoria 12/29/2009 at 3:00 pm #

GOodness those are all awful too.

18. Liz 12/29/2009 at 11:51 pm #

Does any one remember UFO pants? They were huge, made of some wind breaker material, and always came in outrageous colors…yuck

19. Kaitlyn 12/30/2009 at 1:39 am #

crocs are the worst thing that anyone has ever put on their feet. the only people that can get away with those things are nurses since they are on their feet the whole time.

20. notemily 12/30/2009 at 2:38 am #

Those aren’t crocs! That’s a picture of people playing Dance Dance Revolution. You can’t fool me.

21. Shannon 12/30/2009 at 2:03 pm #

Yes to Liz… When I was 10 I wanted UFO pants more than anything! Wow.

22. Erly 12/31/2009 at 7:15 pm #

Uggs are nice after surfing up here in Washington, especially since the best waves come in winter. My Sorels and some heavy socks are still more practical, but not as easy to get on with numb hands and feet.

Fashion wise… ugh. Gross.

23. Jamie 12/31/2009 at 9:43 pm #

omg i had a sparkly pink Von Dutch hat in 7th grade. embarassing. i don’t even know why i got it?!

24. Katie 12/31/2009 at 11:19 pm #

… madras …

25. Bridget 01/02/2010 at 5:39 pm #

Tattoo necklaces had their big moment (in my hometown) Fall ’99. My entire 8th grade cheerleading squad wore them to practice. Oh to be 14 and desperate to fit in again…

26. Adele 01/03/2010 at 6:50 pm #

Crocs should have been confined to hospitals. It kills me that anyone ever wore them. I have to say I am guilty of the tattoo necklaces (and I have the school picture to prove it). I think the worst fad had to have been the pants that zipped off into shorts.

27. Megan 01/05/2010 at 3:44 pm #

One thing I remember that was HUGE at my school, Rubber (sex) Bracelets. Those, and the Livestrong bracelet trend.

I loved my tattoo necklaces! I had the rainbow one and it was covered in chew marks. Gross.