Top 10 Things We Hope Are Invented in the Upcoming Decade

[Image Above: www.mrl.nyu.edu]

2010. Hard to believe we’re here already. So what does the future hold? Sadly, I lost my mystical ability to read the future a few years back and can’t give you an informed answer to that question. What I can do, however, is tell you some really awesome things we’d sure like to see pop up in the coming decade. Some of them silly, others genuinely brilliant, I heartily encourage all the modern day Ben Franklins to get on their thinking caps and start creating these “Top 10 Things We Hope Are Invented in the Upcoming Decade!”

10. Personal Jet Packs. This fly idea has been around for ages, yet no one has brought it to the market. Why?
9. Space Vacations. This is in the process, but yet to be realized, so we’re still mooning over the idea.
8. Rear View Glasses. So we won’t need eyes in the back of our heads.
7. De-microwave. When I was really little, I once thought you could also make things colder in microwaves. It was a logical thought for a wee tyke, but it didn’t work. It would be convenient, though, if someone invented the antithesis to a microwave.
6. Illuminating Wallpaper. A bright idea for lighting up one’s room.
5. Soundproofing for Open Windows. You know in the summer, when you want to sleep with your windows open, but you can’t because of all the noise? These would take care of that.
4. Self-Heating Dishware. When microwaves are nowhere in sight,  we get left out in the cold when our food gets cold. These dishes would keep your grub warm til the last bite.
3. Hand Recognition Door Knobs. The key to making losing your keys a thing of the past.
2. Robot Maid. Like Rosie from the Jetsons, with this maid, your life would be made! Automatically clean houses, instantly clean clothes, dinner waiting for you when you get home – ah, that would be the life.
1. Energy-Gathering Device for Computers. A device for keyboards and your mouse that gathers the energy produced by typing and clicking. The energy gathered could help power the computer.

What inventions do you hope to see in the next 10 years?

15 Responses to Top 10 Things We Hope Are Invented in the Upcoming Decade

1. joyce cee 01/04/2010 at 12:41 pm #

right now I’d like a luggage compressor or a luggage gravity eliminator so my carry ons would be smaller or lighter or both.

2. Sarita 01/04/2010 at 12:41 pm #

Love the number one idea. That would save panic when batteries decided to die unexpectedly.

3. Tracy 01/04/2010 at 1:01 pm #

Teleportation would be very welcome, especially on days when it is FREEZING outside!

4. Megan 01/04/2010 at 1:38 pm #

Awesome ideas! You guys should get to work on the warming plate! I would use that all the time!

5. Caroline 01/04/2010 at 2:23 pm #

Rear-view glasses already have been invented! When I was little, I had a spy Barbie that came with them! Your other ideas are great, though. You should submit your keyboard idea to all of the major computer companies.

6. hanako66 01/04/2010 at 3:05 pm #

haha yes! robot maid!!!

7. Em 01/04/2010 at 3:24 pm #

I loved the list except as Caroline mentioned Rear View Glasses exist. They are so much fun to use, I think you guys should sell them…

8. Erica S. 01/04/2010 at 3:27 pm #

Love the ideas. However, the personal jet pack was already invented… it was created for the James Bond movie, Thunderball in 1965. The problem with that prototype was that it could only remain airborne for 30 – 40 seconds. Just long enough to get the famous shot of “Bond” escaping from a rooftop. I would love soundproofed open windows.

9. Brandi 01/04/2010 at 4:58 pm #

You forgot hover boards! I have been waiting for those ever since I first saw Back to the Future.

I want one like McFly had! 2010, you got a lot of inventing, refining, and mastering to do :)

10. Maya 01/04/2010 at 6:38 pm #

I’m still waiting for Barbarella hand sex and being able to microwave babies into existance, kind of like a burrito.

11. Linzy 01/04/2010 at 9:49 pm #

The hand recognition door knobs exixt too. They’re pretty cool but rediculously expensive.

12. bridget 01/05/2010 at 12:46 am #

want i want? fake leather that looks and feels and smells like real leather, without the price (or hurting the animals!!!). no, pleather does not count. it has to be legit.

13. Jessica 01/05/2010 at 1:54 am #

a de-microwave exists. it’s called a refrigerator.

14. Kit 01/05/2010 at 7:51 am #

Mmm…I think quite a few of these things already exist, LOL! The ‘soundproofing for open windows’ aready exists, saw it on an Australian invention show (The New Inventors) a couple of years back, VERY clever invention. Robot Maids already exist too, just go to Japan…they are actually kind of creepy! And as other people have already said, personal jetpacks,rear veiw glasses, and hand recognition door knobs exsist too. Oh and things that work like a ‘De-microwave’(and I don’t mean an ordinary freezer) exsist as well, I saw that on TV a couple of months back on a cooking show. Illuminating wallpaper exsists…and I think some people are already on to the ‘energy-gathering device for computers’ idea.

I wonder what people WILL invent this next decade….

15. Megan 01/07/2010 at 1:55 pm #

Jetpack– Please see Arrested Development, Season 3, Episode 5 titled “Mr. F”