Golden (and Not So Golden) Glamour

[Images Above: goldenglobes.org]

Believe it or not, the 67th Golden Globe Awards ceremony was a pleasant sartorial surprise and a fantastic fashion event! The weather did not cooperate (many stars carried umbrellas), but the attendees and the stylists did a great job making this dress rehearsal for the Oscars an exciting fashion event. While there were no epic fashion “NO”s, many actresses played it safe with classy, elegant gowns, rather than taking risks or attempting to make big statements. In addition to the classic black, the primary colors worn were cool purples and blues, with some warm reds and pinks. I asked Vasil, one of the most style-savvy people I know, about his take on the events.

Keep reading to find out what he thought!

1. Jayma Mays made the top of the worst-dressed-attendees list. The actress, who is known as one of the best dressed cast members of Glee, showed up after a long battle with Spiderman wearing this Badgley Mischka gown, only to disappoint fans and critics.

2. Mad Men actress Christina Hendricks wore a peachy-champagne Christian Siriano gown, which did not celebrate her curves, and washed her out completely.

3. We all thought actresses of Julianne Moore‘s rank knew how to dress to excite a crowd. Well, I guess we were WOWed by Moore’s off-the shoulder Balenciaga gown, which was truly one of the most tragic ensembles that walked down the red carpet.

4. Who knew that 30 Rock star Tina Fey‘s favorite character was Mary Poppins? Wearing a Zac Posen dress and carrying an umbrella, Fey was the only actress to incorporate her favorite character into her ensemble. Well done, Poppins. (Jen’s side note to Tina Fey: I love you! Please forgive!)

5. Chloe Sevigny‘s strapless lilac Valentino gown with cascading ruffles was a little too much. Even though the producers tried to help Chloe by ripping off some of the her extensive train during the ceremony, their attempt to save that mess was unsuccessful.

6. Last but not least, Anna Paquin reminded everyone that a complete look involves much more than a dress. By pairing a flashy, over-the-top Stella McCartney gown with bulky, inappropriate black heels, she won a spot on the Golden Globe’s worst-dressed list.

[Images Above: goldenglobes.org]

Vasil had a little more difficulty preparing a best dressed list because, as he points out, so many celebrities got it right and shined on the red carpet! Among the best were:

1. Toni Collett wore an Elie Saab gown that complemented her great body and made her one of the best dressed actresses of the evening!

2. Vera Farmiga wore a black strapless Dolce & Gabbana. The combination of a great fit, textures, and diamonds completed the actress’ A+ look.

3. After countless fashion flaws, Drew Barrymore crushed the competition with her champagne Atelier Versace gown. Drew’s gown’s asymmetry, Swarovski crystals, and sleek hair all worked to form a flawless ensemble!

4. Diane Kruger is one of few actresses who can pull off a boldly colored Christian Lacroix gown. The ruffles and white bow accent complemented her figure and made her stand out from the crowd!

5. Heidi Klum chose an absolutely stunning sky blue, off-the-shoulder Roberto Cavalli gown with a chiffon train, and once again demonstrated her nearly supernatural ability to look fit and healthy only a few months after having a baby!

6. Penelope Cruz wore a Giorgio Armani Prive lace gown. The actress is a pro at choosing safe gowns that complement her personality, classy career, and natural beauty. All of these factors work together to make her look astonishing.

[Images Above: goldenglobes.org]

More best-dressed:

7. Emily Blunt, who wore a pink chiffon gown by Dolce & Gabbana.

8. Zoe Saldana, who chose a deep red Louis Vuitton gown.

9. Julie Bowen, whose mermaid, Georges Hobeika gown was safe but glamorous.

10. Courtney Cox, who looked more beautiful than ever in a flattering and very elegant Victoria Beckham creation.

11. Jennifer Garner, and 12. Heather Graham, who chose elegant and sleek beaded creations by Versace and Elie Saab (respectively).

What do you think, ModReaders? Which gowns were “Do”s for you? Which were “Don’t”s?

51 Responses to Golden (and Not So Golden) Glamour

1. Natalie B. 01/18/2010 at 3:42 pm #

Tina Fey can do no wrong in my book! :) And Heidi Klum… wow. How does that woman do it?!

2. Mary 01/18/2010 at 3:43 pm #

#10 is the only thing I’d wear here.

3. Turi 01/18/2010 at 3:50 pm #

I don’t care what you say, Vasil. I think Christina Hendricks looks gorgeous!

4. Rachel C 01/18/2010 at 3:52 pm #

Awww… I thought Tina looked cute! Just because she was holding an umbrella (hello! It was raining!) doesn’t make her look like Mary Poppins.
    I loved Penelope’s dress best, though. And I thought Drew looked adorable!

5. emily 01/18/2010 at 3:52 pm #

Man, I have to respectfully disagree. I love Christina Hendricks’ dress, and Chole Sevigny’s dress! Far more interesting than a lot of the things on the uber-safe “best dressed” list. I think rather than washing Christina out, that dress compliments her bright ivory skin! And Chloe gets 1,000,000 a million points for opting out of the “award show cleavage” train.

6. Kim 01/18/2010 at 4:00 pm #

Please. Jayma Mays would look adorable in a potato sack.

7. aire 01/18/2010 at 4:13 pm #

I agree with most of your best dressed..however I think you are missing January Jones, Kate Hudson and Lea Michele! They looked so chic in basic black and white!

I also believe Christina Hendricks, Chloe Sevigny and Anna Paquin should be on the best dressed list, not worst! :)

8. katie 01/18/2010 at 4:21 pm #

I agree with you on so many of these (especially 7 and 8) , but you forgot carey mulligan! I adore her hair and I kind of secretly want to be her.

9. Rebecca 01/18/2010 at 4:26 pm #

Chloe evigny’s dress was awful! I also thought Drew’s dress was pretty bad. It looked like she had a sea creature on her shoulder and on her hip haha!

10. Katharine 01/18/2010 at 4:27 pm #

I agree with Emily: I think a lot of the best dressed-s here are really safe choices. When does Heidi Klum or Penelope Cruz not look gorgeous? And for the people who took risks, to automatically say “worst dressed” sounds kind of counterintuitive.

I also liked Emily’s point about the Chloe Sevigny vs. the cleavage train, but I don’t think it was a wise choice (contrarily, it looked like she had *no* bust support!) and I found it in kind of bad taste when she used the first half-minute of her acceptance speech to call out a stage-steward who stepped on her train.

An addition I would make: Helen Mirrin! If I look half as good as she does when I’m her age, I will be a happy woman!

11. Vivian 01/18/2010 at 4:33 pm #

I think Penelope Cruz was really gorgeous! I also liked Tina Fey’s dress, but maybe it was not so suitable for the occasion!!! but i would have gladly worn it! :D

12. Katie 01/18/2010 at 4:34 pm #

I personally loved Tina fey and Christina Hendricks! I don’t know why everyone’s saying Tina looks like Mary Poppins, anyways. Last time I checked, Mary Poppins didn’t wear a strapless, pinstriped gown.

13. Vasil 01/18/2010 at 4:37 pm #

Thank you all for your comments. I am happy that we agree and disagree on some of the looks.
    I just want to clarify that I tried to stay away from who I like and who I do not like and be objective, if not, the list would have been quite different.

Also, I do not think anyone deserves credit for taking a risk if it was a bad choice…

I agree that January Jones, Kate Hudson, and Helen Mirren looked great!

14. Alex 01/18/2010 at 4:38 pm #

I think that Navy Blue dress that Reese Witherspoon was wearing deserves a mention in this list. It was gorgeous.

15. Chelsey 01/18/2010 at 5:00 pm #

Of course some of the above dresses are gorgeous like Toni Collett and Emily Blunt, but we are missing some real beauties!

I loved Felicity Huffman’s gorgeous blush dress, also the lovely and talented Marion Cotillard’s absolutely stunning Christian Dior gown!

Also one of my favorite actresses Kate Winslet looked lovely in her navy one-shouldered Yves St. Laurent!

16. Rory 01/18/2010 at 5:05 pm #

My favorites: Kristen Bell, Jane Krakowski, Jennifer Aniston, Ginnifer Goodwin, Kate Hudson and Courteney Cox.

My least favorite: Diane Kruger, I really thought this was an awful dress!

17. Jill 01/18/2010 at 5:20 pm #

My favorites: Helen Mirren & Meryl Streep (how amazing do these women look & they’re both in their 60s?), Ginnifer Goodwin, Zoe Saldana, Cameron Diaz, and Diane Kruger.

Worst: Mariah Carey. That dress was just so wrong on her.

18. Shayne 01/18/2010 at 5:27 pm #

Vera Farmiga and Drew Barrymore look awful; are you kidding? And I disagree about Christina Hendricks–as a redhead, I get sick of people insinuating that lighter colors “wash” us out. I think she looks like a little porcelain doll–in the best of ways!

Also, Courteney Cox looks unbelievably boring.

19. Maya 01/18/2010 at 5:28 pm #

I think that Christina Hendricks picture is just a bad photo. I saw a few from the night and she looked infinately better than how dead she looks there.

20. emilymargrit 01/18/2010 at 5:30 pm #

Ginnifer Goodwin looked super freaking adorable in that blue dress. I think she wins.

21. jodi 01/18/2010 at 5:34 pm #

i have to disagree with a bunch of these, but the biggest thing…

where is Maggie Gyllenhall??
    clearly THE best dressed of the night. BEST.

22. emily 01/18/2010 at 5:35 pm #

Katherine–you’re totally right, on closer inspection, Chloe is clearly not wearing a bra is she? -200 points.

23. jill 01/18/2010 at 5:56 pm #

# 8-WOW! i love this one. so different than everyone else too!

24. Kim 01/18/2010 at 5:58 pm #

omg Toni Collette looked amazingly hot! I actually thought “wow” when she got up and walked to the stage

25. Victoria 01/18/2010 at 6:05 pm #

honestly I only like 4, 6, 7 out of the best dressed list. I don’t like any others at all. 5 isn’t all that bad though up top from the worst dressed list.

I agree Gennifer Goodwin is gorgeous and her dress should be on this list. Joan Allen’s daughter (I guess it was her daughter anyway) her dress was lovely.

no men on this list? Robert Downey Jr. looked amazing.

Halle Berry’s dress was the worst.

26. Julie 01/18/2010 at 6:08 pm #

Hold up – I can’t believe Christina Aguilera isn’t on the best dressed list! She was my #1, I loooved the soft hues of her dress, it was different, had an interesting cut with texture on the silver part, and looked really good on her! (Compared to the terrible fashions of her X-Tina past)

Check it out here: http://justjared.buzznet.com/photo-gallery/2409355/christina-aguilera-golden-globes-2010-red-carpet-04/

27. Siri 01/18/2010 at 7:03 pm #

um, Drew Barrymore has a jewel-encrusted hip tumor. what is well-dressed about that?

28. Emily 01/18/2010 at 7:57 pm #

Yeah, I agree with Siri, I didn’t like the big hip poof on Drew Barrymore’s gown…and poor Tina Fey, it looked like she had a white dress and rolled around in newspapers before the show so that the newsprint got all over it!

And I love Anna Paquin’s hair and dress, but yes, her shoe choice is awful!

29. Maya 01/18/2010 at 8:00 pm #

If you squint it almost looks like a glittery fanny pack

30. Jacky 01/18/2010 at 8:40 pm #

I think all of these dresses are kind of ugly =(

Christina’s is a pretty dress and I love the color, its just not right on *her*, it’d be much better on someone skinnier and tanner.

31. emily 01/18/2010 at 10:38 pm #

Oh Jacky, you did not just suggest that Christina Hendricks should be skinnier! Her bangin’ figure is what makes that dress truly rock, in my opinion.

32. Talia 01/18/2010 at 11:19 pm #

Totally agree Kim. I think Jayma Mays looks adorable no matter what she’s wearing.

33. Caitlin 01/19/2010 at 1:59 am #

Personally I love Tina Feys dress. The fact that she was holding her own umbrella and not making her assistant do it is, in my opinion, a good thing! I definitely agree with the rest of the worst dressed though.

Also, I think Heidi’s dress is average. Looks like Anyas wedding dress in Buffy.

34. belle 01/19/2010 at 2:03 am #

I’m with jodi regarding maggie gyllenhall. maggie was the stunner of the evening.

35. Meredith 01/19/2010 at 2:04 am #

What?! I thought Jayma Mays looked great. A classic bodice with an interesting skirt.

36. Maria 01/19/2010 at 2:18 am #

No Amanda Palmer?

I too liked Tina’s dress. And second the umbrella sentiment. Loved that she could hold her own damn umbrella.

37. Amina 01/19/2010 at 2:30 am #

My absolute favorite of the evening had to be Nicole Kidman. It was classy, it was stylish, it suited her. It was perfect.
    I have to say though that Chloe Sevigny made an interesting albeit unusual choice for a dress that evening. I thought it had great potential, the soft mauve color combined with the flutteriness of the dress was beautiful. Maybe she sould have done more with her hair… and bust issue,

38. Katharine Ellis Tapley 01/19/2010 at 3:04 am #

Kate Hudson’s dress was my favorite by far!

39. Sophie 01/19/2010 at 3:48 am #

I disagree with some of this…

Christina Hendricks is fair, so I don’t think that she looks “washed out”, just because her dress is skin colored because it doesn’t look that close to nude on her. Plus, she is getting some serious cleavage action, so I think her curves have good representation!

Also, Drew Barrymore’s dress looks like it has strange growths coming of of it, and although Diane Kruger looks hot 24/7, her dress is very 80s prom with added length!

I’m pretty much in agreement for the rest though. Gah! I would love to have a reason to dress up like that!!

40. Emily 01/19/2010 at 8:15 am #

Oh, and where is Sandra Bullock on this list? I thought her purple dress with those sheer elements was absolutely gorgeous! She was so radiant!

41. jill 01/19/2010 at 11:54 am #

Agree with other commenters that Christina Hendricks looked GOOORGEOUS. It’s great to see a curvy girl in a different silhouette.

Hated Chloe, hated Drew…. and wondering where Monique is! She looked great, besides being the most eloquent speaker of the night.

42. Tori 01/19/2010 at 5:50 pm #

I liked Chloe Sevigny’s strapless lilac Valentino gown. I love the ruffles – and although a bit much… I think she pulls it off wonderfully and looks rather regal.

Although I agree Vera Farmiga’s black strapless Dolce & Gabbana gown was beautiful…I don’t love the mermaid look. It overwhelms her tiny frame.

Drew’s dress might have looked fantastic on someone with a darker complexion (Perhaps Eva), but on her it washes her out.

Diane Kruger clashed with the red carpet, and just clashed. Not the right dress for the Golden Globes. Perhaps for Kids Choice Awards…where the bubble gum get- up would fit right in with the green slime.

43. Kit 01/19/2010 at 8:03 pm #

First of all I have to agree with alot of girls here and say Christina Hendricks looked GORGEOUS!!!! What is it with people thinking: pale skin= bad? All the men I know think pale is beautiful. And has anyone told, the ever so popular, Robert Paterson, “Sorry, but you look washed out in that tux.”? (Sorry about using a twilight reference!) I also thought Tina Fey looked good in her dress, it wasn’t the best, but I don’t think it deserved being one of the worst either. The umbrella…it was RAINING. So I too have to respectfully disagree with Vasil.

44. Rebecca 01/19/2010 at 9:01 pm #

Christina Hendricks should have worn a purple dress. redheads look great in purple. look at Conan :) The dress she wore looks so bad on her!

45. Madison 01/20/2010 at 4:54 am #

Emily Blunt wins for Best Accessory. How does one compete with a girl who has John Krasinski on her arm? She looks radiant.

46. Bianca Mack 01/20/2010 at 5:40 pm #

I absolutely love zoe saladana’s dress. definitely one of her best

47. Haley 01/20/2010 at 9:24 pm #

You’ve got to be kidding–I ADORE Tina’s dress! It’s really cute and unique. Honestly I like it better than any of the best dressed picks.

48. Olivia 01/20/2010 at 9:44 pm #

I loved Toni Collette’s dress. Drew’s was mostly ok except for the weird things attached to her dress. Jennifer Garner’s was pretty. Diane’s looked like a bottle of Pepto Bismol. Not a good color.

49. Kim 01/21/2010 at 3:57 am #

Madsion- Exactly what I was thinking. Even if she wore a paper bag I would be too distracted to notice it. Though she did look gorgeous here, haha.

50. Maggie 01/22/2010 at 5:14 pm #

Great post, Vasil and Jen ! I agree with these picks, though I must say that I really loved Jennifer Morrison’s ruffled dress – a gift from her sweetheart!

51. Goldy 01/23/2010 at 7:19 pm #

Tina Fey’s dress was wonderful, and I give her props for holding her OWN umbrella. If you look behind all the other women, there is a guy or assistant holding their umbrella for them.