The Age of Innocence

[Image Above: flyingakite.blogspot.com]

I have fallen in love, love, love with knee socks and thigh highs during these wintry months. However, my style has never been very “school girl.”  I’ve often struggled with how to utilize these sassy socks without looking like I enjoy playing hopscotch during recess (although I do enjoy hopscotch and would really appreciate it if we had recess at the ModOffice, but you know what I mean).  When I stumbled across the above ensemble, she really struck me as innocent, but with a grown-up twist. By maintaining the palette set by her earthy, neutral chocolate and cream floral skirt with the addition of thick brown tights, ivory knee socks, bistre patent Mary Janes, an auburn jacket, and cognac belt, the look comes across as sophisticated rather than sophomoric.

For your own take on a grown-up, yet girly look, make sure you stick to a simple palette, classy cuts, and then add the Storybook Ending Socks for a leg up on the cute competition.

About Natalie

Natalie is a native Pittsburgher who enjoys dinner for breakfast, breakfast for dinner, and Trader Joe's Chocolate Croissants any time. She thinks that a lady can never have too many pairs of boots. She is also a big believer in retail therapy. She'd like to take this opportunity to tell her mother that she thinks she's the most amazing woman ever. Asparagus is her favorite veggie. Green is her favorite color. And last, but not least, Winston holds a very special place in her heart.

6 Responses to The Age of Innocence

1. Annie 01/20/2010 at 5:57 pm #

Natalie! Your Style Inspirations this week have not only been visually appealing, but also quite enjoyable to read. I especially love the phrase, “the look comes across as sophisticated rather than sophomoric.” Kudos!

2. Jen 01/20/2010 at 6:53 pm #

I love how she’s worked knee socks into her ensemble! You know, after 12 years of wearing uniforms, I actually never got tired of wearing them? Everything else, yes. But knee socks are forever.

3. Jadey 01/20/2010 at 7:24 pm #

I have been loving them too, my husband seems to think I am crazy with some of the stuff I wear but he loves when I throw on knee socks/thigh highs. I have been throwing them on over leggings and tights and they look super cute with oxfords.

4. Katie 01/20/2010 at 8:33 pm #

Haha, knee socks are forever! I, too, wore uniforms in school, but the knee socks are a keeper, and I love the adult twist!

5. Aleksandra 01/21/2010 at 2:02 am #

This outfit was an amazing idea! It’s made completely of simple items and appealing patterns, and is simply wearable on any given day. Just by going through my closet i found pieces to create a similar outfit [with my own twists of course] and it just looks stylish. Great find!

6. amy 02/01/2010 at 10:48 am #

This has made my week! I adore adore adore love admire need mod cloth and never thought to see my picture displayed on the blog! I love it! Thank you so so so much!