What's on YOUR Playlist?

Not long after we started working together, Angela and I discovered that we share very similar musical interests. Generally, we both appreciate the envelope-pushing elements of post-punk and the folksy, down-home delivery of traditional country. But, especially, we adore that dark, little, smoky corner of the rock and roll arena where these two genres collide in a pleasantly peculiar mishmash of musical styles. Since they often are hiding out in the underground, these types of bands aren’t always so easy to uncover. Grab your DIY Music to Check Out Journal and get together with a fellow fanatic, though, and digging up new discoveries couldn’t have been made any easier!

And that’s exactly what Angela and I did one night after work to pass some time before heading out to an indie show we had our sights on. We both brought stacks of LP’s and 45′s for the other to leaf through and examined each other’s DIY Music to Check Out Journal to compare notes and favorite playlists. I was so enthralled by her collection of vinyl, and mesmerized by the musty smell of vintage cardboard record sleeves, that I lost track of time.

“Hey, Richard! Don’t forget: The She-Riffs are set to hit the stage at 9:00, then the Kinky Bangs go on after,” Angela pointed out as she smoothed her unique Darling Deetz Dress, which she so daringly donned over the brazen Ultraviolet Tights.  “Can you believe that they’re both opening up for Kitty Kitty Bang Bang? This is amazing. We gotta get going!”

So Angela jammed her journal into her Head Out on the Highway Bag and set foot out the door on the soles of her iconoclastic New York, 1976 Heels, whose heavy metal hardware reverberated in the Chain Mail Bangle. I tucked my journal into the inner pocket of my jean jacket then followed after in my cowboy boots and ensemble of black that I accessorized with a bolo tie styled as a necklace.

After a quick jaunt, we arrived at the joint just in time to catch the electrifying licks of the She-Riffs show-opening ode to country cuisine, “Staked Out in the Steakhouse.” We stood there in awe of their sizzling set and then listened enthusiastically to the Kinky Bangs bang out out their frenzied series of songs. But the real highlight of the night was when the lead singer of Kitty Kitty Bang Bang caught sight of Angela’s Haute Handlebar Ring and stopped the band mid-song to sing praises over her choice of accessories. What a night we had!

How about you, ModReaders? What bands would we find in your DIY Music to Check Out Journal?

About Richard

Richard finds style inspiration in an assortment of historical figures, musicians, and movie characters, including Doc Holliday, Tracy Pew, Han Solo, and El Topo. When not tapping at the computer keyboard for ModCloth, Richard spends his time playing music and dreaming of composing the perfect soundtrack to an epic gothic western film set on a distant, dusty planet, where the cowboys ride rocket-powered motorcycles instead of horses.

33 Responses to What's on YOUR Playlist?

1. NatalieB (ModCloth) 01/28/2010 at 6:05 pm #

Not only do you guys look adorable, but that was such a fun read! Can I borrow the She-Riffs album? I really need to hear, “Staked Out in the Steakhouse!”

2. Emily 01/28/2010 at 6:10 pm #

Well….. I Really REALLY have a HUGE crush on David Bowie so I’d have to say anything Bowie i haven’t listened to yet, any They Might Be Giants I haven’t listened to…. Blur, Queen, Never Shout Never, HeyHiHello, Genesis, The Beatles, Depeche Mode, Owl City, Jonathan Coulton. Here is some of my absoulute fave music! http://www.actionext.com/playlist_125430.html

3. Rebecca 01/28/2010 at 7:18 pm #

I just picked up the Death Proof soundtrack by Quentin Tarantino and there’s this one singer called April March on it. She sings in French and English and is all retro and indie. I love it! I still need to listen to the entire soundtrack, but I’m stuck on the song “Chick Habit.”

4. Richard (ModCloth) 01/28/2010 at 7:34 pm #

Rebecca, that’s a great song!

5. Natalie 01/28/2010 at 9:10 pm #

As a college student learning French and trying to use pop music to get the structure of the language, I would have to say “Ca M’enerve” by Helmut Fritz. Apparently, it’s sort of a song that everyone involved with pop culture in France knows. Even if you don’t understand any French, give it a listen ;D

6. Kaitlyn 01/28/2010 at 9:51 pm #

I’m definitely loving Viola right now.

7. Catherine 01/28/2010 at 10:19 pm #

Right now all I really listen to I’m really listen to is The Smiths and God Help the Girl.

8. Jacky 01/28/2010 at 10:24 pm #

Hot Chip – One Life Stand
    Conor Oberst – One of My Kind (not released yet =( )
    Yelle – Ce Jeu

The Pierces
    The Weepies
    Tegan & Sarah
    Voltaire
    Sufjan Stevens
    The Fleet Foxes

I could go on for days, so I’ll stop there.

10. Hilary 01/29/2010 at 1:54 am #

Good list Jacky.
    Animal Collective and Hot Chip has to be on there, for sure!
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (particularly Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!)
    Spoon. How could you not?
    Grizzly Bear, very quirky, very cool.
    Lisa Mitchell. A too cute little Aussie songstress.
    Tom Ugly and Andrew Bird.
    Sarah Blasko and Clare Bowditch, they’re both just too amazing for words.

I really could go on and on and on and on.

11. Hillary 01/29/2010 at 3:09 am #

Seawolf
    El May
    Grayson Capps
    Charlotte Gainsbourg
    Camille
    Marina and the Diamonds

I wish more bands came to perform in my little town!

13. Richard (ModCloth) 01/29/2010 at 10:33 am #

Hilary, I’m a huge Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds fan, but I haven’t bought Dig, Lazarus, Dig! yet because I didn’t care for the title track. Is there a particular song on that album that you suggest I listen to in order to change my opinion?

And since I asked you all to share you playlists, I suppose I should share mine, too, which contains a number of Aussie bands:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Beasts of Bourbon
    The Cruel Sea
    The Scientists
    Kim Salmon and the Surrealists
    The Triffids
    The Gun Club
    Neko Case (good choice, Melissa!)
    Kid Congo and the Pink Monkeybirds
    16 Horsepower
    Bob Dylan
    Johnny Cash
    PJ Harvey
    Black Heart Procession
    The Cramps

14. Jennifer 01/29/2010 at 11:19 am #

Can you guys do a post on good Valentines Day gifts to get your boyfriend?

15. Angela (ModCloth) 01/29/2010 at 11:26 am #

Ooo, well here’s what I’ve been listening to lately…

-Neko Case (always my top lady. Right on Melissa!)
    -Kelly Hogan (Ms. Case’s current backup singer, who has a past solo career I am just finding)
    -The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    -My Bloody Valentine
    -The Cocteau Twins
    -The Smiths
    -Pixies
    -Lady Gaga!
    -Feufollet – a Cajun inspired band that sings in French- Natalie, maybe you’d like them if you don’t know them yet
    -Siouxsie and the Banshees
    -The Flaming Lips
    -Lily Allen
    -Outkast

Nice lists, everyone! I’ll have to check some of this out.

16. Jenn (ModCloth) 01/29/2010 at 11:36 am #

Love this post, and love the music recs in the comments! Definitely going to have to check some of these bands out over the weekend!

17. Alysha 01/29/2010 at 12:12 pm #

The Most Serene Republic!

18. Sarah (ModCloth) 01/29/2010 at 12:41 pm #

You guys look great! Sign me up for Mariah Carey’s Greatest Hits!

19. Jacky 01/29/2010 at 3:16 pm #

I think me and Hilary have the same taste, I love your list as well. and add Fever Ray from sweden! a kaboodle friend just turned me on to her quirky lovely music. listen to “When I grow up”

20. april 01/29/2010 at 5:56 pm #

awesome music that i’m addicted to:
    phosphorescent
    evan dando
    the liars
    mirah
    soltero
    the morning benders
    galaxie 500
    the pains of being pure at heart
    hank and lily
    vermillion lies
    sexy sushi
    songs: ohia
    wolf eyes
    glasvegas
    the raveonettes
    thunderbirds are now!
    i’d better stop there or i’ll be here forever.
    i love music :).

21. april 01/29/2010 at 6:01 pm #

oh! and port o’brien.
    ok, i’m stopping now.

22. Richard (ModCloth) 01/29/2010 at 6:06 pm #

April, good call on Okkervil River and Songs:Ohia!

23. Maddi 01/29/2010 at 10:23 pm #

the wailin’ jennys
    yelle
    the high kings
    richard thompson
    lady gaga
    nickel creek

i’m in kind of a folk mood. i think it’s the winter.

24. Missy 01/29/2010 at 10:25 pm #

LYMBYC SYSTYM!! (fave and warrants all caps)
    Do Make Say Think
    New Order
    Dagha
    Boards of Canada
    Caribou
    Beulah
    The Breeders
    anything the Dust brothers touch!
    Fourtet

I need to stop now before I have a convulsion…thanks for incorporating music :)

25. Missy 01/29/2010 at 11:56 pm #

prefuse73 which I’m shocked I forgot!

26. Missy 01/30/2010 at 12:09 am #

oh and a very local milwaukee band: Worrier….amazing..give em a listen.I’m done I swear but music, fashion, interior design are my obsessions!

27. Rebecca 01/30/2010 at 12:20 am #

fink, bon iver, jeff buckley, phoenix, timber timbre, the antlers, … i’ll stop now :)

28. Hilary 01/30/2010 at 6:09 am #

Well I personally loved the title track, so don’t know if I’m the best guide. ‘Today’s Lesson’ is a bit more upbeat, or perhaps ‘Moondance’? Good call with all the Aussie music, we seem to be producing some great stuff at the moment.

Nice to find a music ‘soul mate’ in you Jacky! Shall certainly check out some of your recommendations.

Umm also can suggest Florence and the Machine. Lovely little British Singer.
    Oh and Damien Rice (just a whole lot of Love right there), and Whitley for my region on Australia, so should give him some Love too!
    And the song ‘River’ by Akron Family.

Uh Oh! I’m ranting on far too much.

29. Richard (ModCloth) 01/30/2010 at 12:08 pm #

Funny you mention Akron Family, too. Growing up, I went to the same schools as a couple of the band’s members, Seth and Dana. In fact, Seth and I were on the same Little League baseball team at one point!

30. Hilary 01/30/2010 at 10:44 pm #

Wow, crazy. They did a gig over here a couple of months ago and Seth was encouraging people to bring some Pugs along to the gig. I was tempted to head along to give them my ModCloth: Winston sticker. Silly work got in the way.

31. Julie 02/01/2010 at 6:16 pm #

Just a few that have climbed up my playlist!

Passion Pit – Manners Album (fave song, The Reeling)
    Basement Jaxx – Scars
    Kid Sister – Ultraviolet
    Lady Gaga – Fame Monster
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix)
    Noisettes – Never Forget You

32. Casey 02/03/2010 at 12:11 pm #

I love the comment about the record sleeves. I personally prefer all my music to be on vinyl. A few songs that would be on my playlist are:

Sunny Afternoon by the Kinks
    Living Room by Tegan and Sara
    Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
    White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes
    Superstar by Sonic Youth
    The Execution of All Things by Rilo Kiley

Just to name a few :D

33. Clair 02/06/2010 at 4:52 pm #

Los Campesinos! (top of my list because their new album is absolutely brilliant)
    Mumford & Sons