Pittsburgh vs. Sydney

The other day on a road trip from Pittsburgh to Punxsatawney, I switched between Lady Gaga’s Fame Monster album and Madonna’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, which apparently means that I fit right in with the rest of the Gaga-loving demographic Pittsburgh! However, if I were living somewhere else in the world, say a city in Germany, or perhaps Sydney, Australia, chances are, I could have been driving to the beat of another tune!

Using this fun little find on the web, My City vs. Your City, you can input your city (or any), and compare your regional top music artists to that of a list of cities around the world! Based on data taken from last.fm, the site then calculates the similarity of the two cities  to come up with a number of how similar the two locations are in musical tastes. There is no winner, but apparently Pittsburgh and Sydney, even though we are a fair distance and many oceans apart, hold a 38% compatibility in the music we listen to!

In addition to your current city, if you were to hop in the car and go for a road trip, what would you pop in the stereo system?

About Julianne

Julie Since graduating from the "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too," Julie's aptness for the written word picked up steam like a runaway train. Her journey thus far has been fueled by an adventurous heart, creative mind, and love of breakfast, baking, and bacon. She often makes social situations more awkward than they need to be and loves the word "scrumtrulescent!"

10 Responses to Pittsburgh vs. Sydney

1. Rebecca 02/03/2010 at 4:36 pm #

I’m loving me some Phoenix! The band, not the city :) They are funky, pop, electronic, newly crowned GRAMMY Award winners from France.

2. kristar 02/03/2010 at 4:40 pm #

i like Pittsburgh’s music taste better…only because the Beatles ARE #1!
    but, they’d be even better if they switched coldplay for phoenix (and then switched phoenix with radiohead…)

3. Maya 02/03/2010 at 5:21 pm #

Owah I’m from Sydney and I only listen to the Beatles from that list. Either I call shenanigans or I am to be shunned from the city! :D If you don’t hear from me again you know i’ve been segregated to live in on a mountain and hunt for my own food.

4. Olivia 02/03/2010 at 6:28 pm #

I tried to test it with my city in Australia (Perth). It’s not on the list! My city gets left out of everything.

5. Maya 02/03/2010 at 6:55 pm #

Olivia, you should make your own list! Show them what for!

6. Kit 02/03/2010 at 10:10 pm #

LOL! My city isn’t there! Poor Brisbane, (Australia) it seems just because you’re a capital of a state doesn’t make you important…no Perth either…? Once again only three cities matter in Australia:(

7. Caitlin 02/03/2010 at 10:50 pm #

Yeah, no Perth or Brisbane is a little strange considering that they have Adelaide on there!
    Perth needs to represent!

8. Jill 02/04/2010 at 8:38 am #

So much fun! It’s interesting to see how many people are STILL rocking out to the Beatles. Those dudes have staying power.

9. Norma KH 02/07/2010 at 2:42 pm #

I usually have to go for Portishead or the Dresden Dolls. Not a huge fan of Lady Gaga.

10. apsutter 03/02/2010 at 11:02 pm #

Confessions on a dance floor is awesome! I think thats one of madonna’s only albums where the songs just flow into each other and you can just let it play