Style Glossary: I Get a 'Kick Pleat' Out of You

[Image Above: Miss Darling Dress]

Did you know that, circa 1910, women went wild for a skirt so narrow at the hem that they could barely walk in it? This garment, Paul Poiret’s aptly termed “hobble skirt,” has thankfully shuffled out of style, and design elements like today’s featured Fashion Dictionary term have walked into the spotlight! Ladies, put your hands together for the kick pleat!

Kick pleats are those little flap-covered slits found at the rear hem of many a fitted skirt. This little inverted pleats give us the ability to walk with ease, and look good doing it!

Do you own any items with kick pleats?

, , , ,

8 Responses to Style Glossary: I Get a 'Kick Pleat' Out of You

1. Maya 02/08/2010 at 6:06 pm #

I had a friend who had the tightest skirt with a kickpleat in it. It didn’t help her cause though because as she walked the skirt would climb ever higher up the back of her thighs.

It gave the boys quite a show!

2. Kristen Renee 02/08/2010 at 6:06 pm #

My denim skirt from Old Navy! Thank goodness for the pleat!

3. Natalie 02/08/2010 at 6:52 pm #

I have two – both pencil skirts!

A white one I’m wearing right now, no idea where its from b/c I got it at a second hand store. It is tight — and does that creeping thing.

And a black one from Express.

Thank heavens for them!

4. Emily 02/08/2010 at 7:21 pm #

I love kick pleats! What cracks me up the most though, is when the designer tacks the pleat closed in stores and the purchaser doesn’t undo the tack… I have to stifle a laugh every time i see a girl struggling to walk in her skirt!

5. Perry 02/08/2010 at 8:02 pm #

I own several, actually, but since I’m not very tall (barely 5’2″), they don’t ten to hender movement very much, if at all.

6. Clair 02/08/2010 at 8:47 pm #

It’s got four skirts with them. Hooray for vintage pencil skirts!

7. Kemi 02/09/2010 at 2:19 am #

Yes, i have a few skirts with kickpleats, it helps with the wiggle-walk alot!

8. Thea 07/07/2010 at 11:10 am #

So this past spring i made my friend a tuxedo for his prom. However he wanted it fitted so tightly at his waist the jacket was straining around his hips so i used a kickpleat at the back of his jacket! (at the time i didnt know what it was called..) photo here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30858634&id=1420470250