Another Day, Another Turban

Image Above: Alltheprettybirds.blogspot.com

When it comes to inspiring Seen Style picks, I have turbans on the brain. I hope this type of sticky thinking ultimately results in me amassing a few vintage turbans of my own, so I can not only continue to subconsciously think about turbans, but also sport their wrapped beauty atop my head.

I love what this stylish Milan resident has done with an all-black ensemble. Take a second to notice – yes, absolutely everything she’s wearing is black, yet her look is fresh, youthful, and memorable. The texture of her voluminous jacket collaborates with the sleek, gold studded leather skirt and matching black leather satchel, creating an effortless boho-meets-biker outfit. Finally, she looks especially chic sans stilettos — her dainty black flats are dapper and darling, especially when paired with opaque black knee socks and sheer black hosiery. Why do I find this look to be so inspiring? In two words — monochromatic mastery.

Are you the type of person who primarily wears one color? If so, how do you mix things up to keep your outfits interesting?

About Annie

Thrift shopping and cupcake baking are the two main constants within Annie's life. When she's not scouring for finds of a lifetime or indulging in calorie-laden confections, Annie enjoys bicycles, dogs, fashion, long stories, and inside jokes.

9 Responses to Another Day, Another Turban

1. Emily 02/10/2010 at 6:23 pm #

I live in Alaska, and I have found that I wear lots black and gray. Which is not really good since it’s so gray and rainy all the time(and don’t forget the snow!). Because of this, I try to add lots of colorful accents to my wardrobe. Be it a bright scarf to my favorite black coat, or a cute pair of red heels to spice up a dress.

2. Richard (ModCloth) 02/10/2010 at 6:41 pm #

I wear a lot of black, as you know, Annie, so my favorite thing to do to keep it from looking blah is to sport a flashy pair of shoes and some statement accessories.

3. thehautepursuit 02/10/2010 at 6:42 pm #

Oh I love this blog and especially this picture! Turbans are so freaking hot especially worn like this :) I’m usually an all-black sorta girl, but one of my new years resolutions is to minimize the black and embrace the rest of roygbiv, ha!

4. Maya 02/10/2010 at 6:54 pm #

Do want turban! Though I think i’d spent most of my days quoting Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein era Madeline Kahn.

I tend to wear loads of black because I’m a food spiller so I’m less likely to look like a grubby little monkey.

5. nicola 02/10/2010 at 8:07 pm #

im obsessed with color. i love orange, green, purple most and if you look in my closet i have only a handful of black things! sometimes i’ve got one color in my head that i end up going out with just that color. it’s not on purpose, but im an artist and i sometimes get obsessive and absent minded. when i sell on the streets in ny it makes it more fun to be colorful.

6. Sophie 02/10/2010 at 10:56 pm #

I hardly ever wear black… I love pretty colors (cream, shell pink, etc.), spring-y colors (green!) and sometimes grown-up colors (navy and charcoal gray are my I-mean-business colors).

I do love soft neutrals with a punch of color though. Today I wore a cream colored cardi, a light heather gray tank top, khakis, and brown driving mocs with these earring I have with a big colorful orb hanging on them.

I also have too wild a mane to properly appreciate headwear, but she’s making that turban look good :D

7. Jenny K. 02/11/2010 at 1:34 am #

Turbans always remind me of 1950’s movies with Liza Minnelli or Gloria Swanson where they’re wearing chic turbans with long lit cigarettes. Now that was elegance!
    I love this picture..it really gives you a new take on it. It’s young, modern and fresh.
    I’m mostly a scarf obsessed fanatic, whatever I wear it’s not complete without a warm cuddly, silky, or soft scarf! Who knew strips of fabric wore around the neck would be so great?

8. jill 02/11/2010 at 9:23 am #

texture, texture, texture! this girl got it right.

9. Sarita 02/11/2010 at 11:17 am #

As a South Asian, I find turbans as a fashion trend to be strange. This started before the 20th century when the British were in India and would show that they were going native by wearing South Asian clothing like turbans.