There’s no easier way to imbue an outfit with DIY darlingness than to add some ruffles. “Wait a minute,” you counter, “Making Ruffles? Easy? I don’t think so.” No, it’s true! Here’s a little DIY project to prove it!
Keep reading to see what steps make this project ‘sew’ easy!
1. Choose a swatch of fabric for your ruffles. Cut this fabric in a spiral. It may help to draw a spiral on the fabric first, using tailor’s chalk.
- The wider the space you leave in between the turns of your spiral, the wider the ruffle will be.
- Keep in mind that the outer parts of the spiral will ruffle less, while the center will be the most ruffly!
2. Pull the spiral into a line, and pin it onto your garment, making sure the top of the ‘once-was-spiral’ fabric strip is a straight line.
- If you’re working with a fabric that frays, you’ll want the finish the edges off first by tucking them under and sewing.
3. Sew! Line your presser foot up with the straight line you pinned, and stitch away! Or, sew by hand.
4. Add more layers of ruffles if you desire, by repeating steps 1-3.
Tada! Who would have thought this would be so simple?
Do you have any items that your itching to try this on?