We're Flippin' Over National Pancake Week!

A Tasteful Garden's Sour Cream Pancakes, drizzled with Blueberry Maple Syrup from Natalie's Killer Cuisine

Holy crêpe! Pancakes are great!

In honor of National Pancake Week, we hit the griddle with specialty flapjack recipes from ModCloth fans. Check ‘em out after the jump.

Allison of A Tasteful Garden was nice enough to share her amazing Sour Cream Pancakes. These fluffy delights, featured above on the Dining Miss Daisy Serving Set, are dressed with sliced almonds and Blueberry Maple Syrup from Natalie’s Killer Cuisine. Here’s how to make ‘em!
A Tasteful Garden’s Sour Cream Pancakes

• 1 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 large egg
  1. In a large bowl, shift or gently whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
  2. In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients until smooth.
  3. Forming a well in the dry ingredients, slowly fold in the wet mixture until just moistened. Do not overmix! Your batter should be thick and lumpy.
  4. Let batter sit for 10 minutes. While it settles, you can begin preparing Natalie’s Blueberry Maple Syrup below.
  5. Preheat your griddle or large frying pan at medium heat and coat with butter or your choice of cooking oil.
  6. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter  for each pancake on the hot griddle or pan.
  7. Once bubbles start to form, flip the cakes to brown on the other side.

Natalie’s Killer Cuisine’s Blueberry Maple Syrup

• 1 1/2 cup of maple syrup
  • 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
  1. Combine berries and syrup in a medium-sized saucepan at medium heat
  2. Allow to simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally

Be sure to also try Natalie’s Whole Wheat Pancakes, Nibbledish user Emily’s Cornmeal Griddle Cakes, or this veganized version of classic ‘cakes. (For vegan cooks, Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s book Vegan with a Vengeance features wonderful specialty vegan pancakes and these cooking tips:  1) Never overmix your batter. There should be lumps. If you overmix, your pancakes will be rubbery.  2) Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to overnight (covered in the fridge). The flour’s gluten needs time to work its magic. Letting the batter settle after mixing makes a fluffier flapjack.  3) Apply a fresh coat of oil to your griddle for each new batch. This will keep your ‘cakes from burning.)

One last tip – ENJOY EVERY PANCAKE!

Are you doing anything special for National Pancake Week?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

11 Responses to We're Flippin' Over National Pancake Week!

1. Mary 02/15/2010 at 1:44 pm #

personally, I love IHOP! I can make great pancakes, but somehow I still end up craving me some IHOP every now and again!

2. Elizabeth 02/15/2010 at 2:36 pm #

I am quite possibly addicted to pancakes; I make them far too often. I usually opt for the traditional English-style pancakes with lemon and sugar (pancake day stylee), but Scotch pancakes are nice too. I never bother with a recipe, but every now and then I experiment, with a different ingredient added, to make them interesting. The other day I added porridge oats to Scotch pancake batter and had them hot with golden syrup.
    I love pancake day – one year I made a bizarre pancake lasagne. Tomorrow I shall be cooking up a storm.

3. Angela (ModCloth) 02/15/2010 at 2:39 pm #

Mary- On the 23rd IHOP does something special for their Nat’l Pancake day.

And Elizabeth the English style pancakes sound so good! I’ve never heard of something like that. Same with pancake lasagne! Creative. Do share if you can!

4. Mary 02/15/2010 at 3:37 pm #

oooh… thanks for letting me know! We have to drive a while to get to one, so that will be a good reason to do so!

5. a tasteful garden 02/15/2010 at 5:38 pm #

hi there Angela! i’m so psyched that you liked my sour cream pancakes. maple syruping time is just around the corner, so i can’t wait to try out Natalie’s blueberry version with some good, homemade syrup. happy eating!

6. Ratana 02/15/2010 at 6:35 pm #

i love modcloth already, but the fact that there is a blog on pancakes just really makes my day.. thanks for being so fabulous.. lets all put on lovely patterned vintage aprons and then sit down to a nice fluffy stack of pancakes.. i personally love mine with bananas, and good maple syrup! and i am gonna try to stop by an IHOP now for nat’l pancake day.. yum!

7. Angela (ModCloth) 02/15/2010 at 6:39 pm #

Sounds like fun, Ratana! I like mine with bananas, too. Also, peaches – my mom always added sliced peaches to her Bisquick pancakes, and you know what, they were always so perfectly delicious!

8. Katie 02/15/2010 at 8:10 pm #

I would suggest adding a little less liquid to the batter of the Vegan With A Vengeance pancakes- I’ve made them and the batter turned out a little thin. It might be due to brand differences, but better safe than sorry with your pancakes!

• Kayla 04/27/2011 at 10:19 pm #

I agree with you! But they always turn out so good!

9. Pam 02/16/2010 at 12:09 am #

ahhh vegan pancakes are the perfect mood lifter. I made Perfect Pancakes from Vegan Brunch with blackberries and rapberry agave syrup.

10. Alyssa 02/17/2010 at 6:38 pm #

Oh man, this has made me start jonesin for a pancake like woah. I’m currently living in Buenos Aires for a bit and they definitely aren’t as big fans of pancakes as those from the States. Yo quiero un panqueque pronto!