Top 10 Toys from Our Childhood

Photo: Skinneygenes.wordpress.com

There’s nothing that plays upon our heartstrings more than games and dolls we used to play with. So, for the sake of nostalgia, today’s Top 10 will pay tribute to the most terrific toys of our childhood!

10. Cabbage Patch Kids. Kids who didn’t have these dolls were sour, and those who did were sauerkraut.
9. Pound Puppies. A precursor to the Beanie Baby, this pups made kids ‘yappy.’
8. Ninja Turtle Figurines. Best appreciated while eating pizza.
7. Trolls. Especially prized were the ones with jewel belly buttons.
6. Skip-Its. Skip the Skip-it? No way! These things were awesome.
5. Stretch Armstrong. The long arm of the law should hire this dude as a vigilante.
4. Lite-Brites. The song “You Light up My Life” was probably written about this toy.
3. Gak. It’s truly an art how this toy won our heart with its noise like a bodily function.
2. Pogs. The true definition of a fad! Man, these were cool!
1. Popples. These were a ball of fun, literally.

What was your favorite toy as a tot?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

43 Responses to Top 10 Toys from Our Childhood

1. Lindsay 02/23/2010 at 1:32 pm #

Precious Places! I think it started my obsession with keys.

2. Zoe' 02/23/2010 at 1:37 pm #

what about ribbon dancer?? those were my absolute fave!!

3. Katie 02/23/2010 at 1:39 pm #

It was always a solid tie between Popples and Strawberry Shortcake dolls.

4. Meredith 02/23/2010 at 1:59 pm #

Weebles! I wish they still made them. The haunted house was the best.

5. rhea 02/23/2010 at 2:30 pm #

I was totally a Popple for Halloween one year… I miss my skip-it, I was showing my cousin how to use a hula-hoop the other day (embarrassing!) and wished I still had my skip it

6. fc 02/23/2010 at 2:31 pm #

Uh, Legos anyone? Timeless and perfect for creative minds. I can’t believe they’re not on the list!

7. Kristin 02/23/2010 at 2:40 pm #

I still have my My Little Ponies, dating back to ’84. My “baby” cousins used to come over to play with them. I still think I’ll pass them on to my own daughter.

8. Kristin 02/23/2010 at 2:43 pm #

Also, I totally played with my brothers’ He-Man and Thundercat action figures. I had Cheetara for myself.

9. Katelyn Likes This 02/23/2010 at 2:46 pm #

I love my Cabbage Patch Doll! Her name was Jocelyn and my name is Katelyn, so it was kismet.

I also remember GloWorm, and Chatty Cathy.

10. Emily 02/23/2010 at 2:50 pm #

Okay I remember all of them but the poppies what were they?

11. Kim 02/23/2010 at 2:58 pm #

omg I totally had like all of these toys at one point or another. I had like a million troll dolls. Anyone remember Polly Pocket? Apparently they still sell those. Nice little trip down memory lane :) Ah, the 90′s…

12. Julie 02/23/2010 at 3:38 pm #

Sit & Spin, all the way!

13. Kristen Renee 02/23/2010 at 4:16 pm #

Big lover of dolls and stuffed animals right here! Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Kids, Pound Puppies, Beanie Babies, Trolls. Anyone remember the Wuzzles? They were kind of like Care Bears, but they were combinations of animals.

14. Shannon 02/23/2010 at 4:48 pm #

Wow, I can’t believe I had everything on that list! Also, I was gifted with a Polly Pocket and a Glo-worm, which my 14-month-old daughter now plays with.

15. Jill 02/23/2010 at 4:59 pm #

okay, raise your hand if you cut Stretch Armstrong in half to see what he was made of. *raises hand*

Also, who remembers Spinjas?

16. mandi 02/23/2010 at 5:13 pm #

SLIP AND SLIDE!!

17. Katharine 02/23/2010 at 5:13 pm #

I gotta say to the Lego & Sit-n-Spin contingent, I think those were a little older toys than for the target demographic here… I mean, I played with Barbies, too, but those are a total baby boomer invention!

Also, am I the only one who used the Skip-It so fast that the counter didn’t ever work? I mean, like, ever. I think I ruined it with the centrifugal force!

18. Alison B. 02/23/2010 at 8:05 pm #

10. Polly Pockets
    9. Pound Puppies. A precursor to the Beanie Baby, this pups made kids ‘yappy.’
    8. Faeries
    7. Barbies
    6. Miniature Porcelain Dolls

19. Kim 02/23/2010 at 8:58 pm #

I still have scar on my palm from where I sliced it open on Christmas day trying to open my Skip-it. I stuck with my ribbon dancer after that, hehe.

20. Emily 02/23/2010 at 9:05 pm #

Definitely Ninja Turtles Figurines! And PlayMobil sets…

And My Little Ponies! I still have most of mine. :-)

21. Kate 02/23/2010 at 9:33 pm #

My favourites were Polly Pockets (when their whole worlds could still fit in your pocket!) and Sky Dancers.

22. Keely 02/23/2010 at 10:11 pm #

I work with kids and daily I school them on how to use the skip-it. I even did it in 4inch heels today.

23. From Me To You 02/23/2010 at 10:50 pm #

lol, this brought back a lot of memories.

24. Mary 02/23/2010 at 11:08 pm #

Were Glalmour Gals just a little too “before your time” ?? They were SO retro… I still have some of mine, I must confess! http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?glamgalindex
    They are the first toy I can remember spending my own money on… and I’d buy one and just keep her in the package for a while because I was so excited…

25. Mary 02/23/2010 at 11:09 pm #

oops! Glamour Gals

26. Christina 02/23/2010 at 11:15 pm #

Hello, Rainbow Brite is where it’s at! ;)

27. Jenny K. 02/24/2010 at 12:17 am #

Barbie’s..I still have over 100 in my attic..also polly pockets, strawberry shortcake dolls and skip-its!!! All some of my favorites..good stroll down memory lane!

28. Tiffany 02/24/2010 at 12:49 am #

Hula hoops, barbies, pogs.

29. lauren 02/24/2010 at 9:49 am #

oh my god, definitely Sky Dancers, I dinged up so many walls with those things.

30. Casey 02/24/2010 at 11:03 am #

Oh my god! Pound Puppies were the best ever. I think I have over thirty of them. My favorite toys though were Littlest Pet Shops though. I’m not talking about the new ones that look drugged out haha. I also favored my RugRats dolls. I had everyone except Susie I think. I miss them!

31. Bethany 02/24/2010 at 11:48 am #

I am amazed to not see Pogo Ball listed yet! Pogo Ball was the best (until it popped and you got injured…)

32. Sophie 02/24/2010 at 6:33 pm #

Oh my goodness, so many good/ hilarious memories linked to these toys!

Original Bop It anyone?

33. Jilian Rose 02/24/2010 at 9:34 pm #

I have a scar on my knee from a Skip-it gone wrong incident in 1992. It’s fairly bad-ass.

34. Shannon 02/25/2010 at 11:06 am #

When I was in 1st grade, we had an official ‘Cabbage Patch Kids Day’ in school, where everyone brought theirs in and we had a CPK theme day. I also had a birthday party for one of my CPKs and my friends brought theirs for cake etc. lol. This was definitely @ the peak of their hype.

35. Shannon 02/25/2010 at 11:09 am #

I broke the counter on my Skip It from going too fast also, like a few others here. :)

I also had a Pogo Ball (or Bal – not sure of the spelling). That got old fast, but it was fun to use it with a skipping rope and do the usual skipping tricks.

36. Ashley 02/25/2010 at 2:49 pm #

fc, I LOVED Legos, even though I’m a girl.

Remember when the only things Legos came is was a big red 500 piece bucket? None of this model stuff already packaged in the box.

I actually built a football stadium complete with concession stand for my uncle (a football nut) when he came to visit. Then my brother stepped on it. :(

37. Ashley 02/25/2010 at 2:51 pm #

Oh, and my Fashion Plates fashion designer. http://www.inthe80s.com/toys/fashionplates.shtml

And my collection of Victorian paper dolls. I got them for my 9th birthday. Still have them, though most of the tabs have since fallen off.

38. celia 02/25/2010 at 4:47 pm #

i remember that toy, i loved it. me and my cousins would all get together and we would see who could get the highest score!

39. Larissa 02/26/2010 at 11:11 am #

The game “Pretty Pretty Princess”
    I think thats where my love for the finer things in life really came into play. I took that game way to seriously.
    I also loved “Speak and Spell”
    Oh and my Rainbow Brite Dolls!!! “Rainbow Brite see the shining lite the stars are going to take you to Rainbow Brite!”
    Oh my goodness…

Oh and Doopalo or however you spell it. It was the Giant Lego Blocks.

Jem and the Hollagrams!

40. Larissa 02/26/2010 at 11:15 am #

Oh and the Tv shows. they were the best!
    The Raccoons, Smoggies, Carebears, Duck tales (woo ooo), Blossom, Full House (i still have a crush on Uncle Jesse!).

41. Ana 02/26/2010 at 3:06 pm #

OMG. I forgot all about skipits! I had a hot pink one and it was my most prized possession for what seemed like a very long time but was probably only a few months. I used to do it outside when it was nice, or inside while I watched TV, usually Full House or Darkwing Duck. I think I looked exactly like the girl in the picture: blond hair in a side ponytail scrunchie, baggy top with matching bike shorts, bright socks, keds. My punk rock mom was appalled.

42. apsutter 03/02/2010 at 10:11 pm #

I work at Best Buy and we got this new keyboard cleaner that looks and feels just like gak……I play with it everyday when Im bored..lol And the other day we were just talking about skip-its and how I want one now cause they were great exercise!

43. Lola 03/29/2010 at 3:50 pm #

I think one of the biggest fads were ferbies, we loved them no matter how creepy they were