Gig Posters!

Above Image: www.strawberryluna.com

Image: Strawberryluna.com

Have you ever seen a flier for your fave indie act and thought, “That is too awesome to throw away”? Then you’re already familiar with the artistic allure of gig posters!

The 60′s spawned some of the first fantastic fliers, but today there are a plethora of places that you can suss out posters of beloved bands, from A Tribe Called Quest to Rachael Yamagata, as well as superior sites which feature vast collections, such as GigPosters.com, and individual artists’ sites, like Todd Slater’s. You could even ask around your city to find local haute handbill-creating talent, such as my favorite Pittsburgh poster gal — StrawberryLuna!

One thing’s for sure — if you’re a lover of music and appreciator of art, you will be captivated by gig posters. Do you have a favorite gig poster artist or fantastic flier that you’d like to share? Tell us about it!

About Natalie

Natalie is a native Pittsburgher who enjoys dinner for breakfast, breakfast for dinner, and Trader Joe's Chocolate Croissants any time. She thinks that a lady can never have too many pairs of boots. She is also a big believer in retail therapy. She'd like to take this opportunity to tell her mother that she thinks she's the most amazing woman ever. Asparagus is her favorite veggie. Green is her favorite color. And last, but not least, Winston holds a very special place in her heart.

16 Responses to Gig Posters!

1. Brianna 02/24/2010 at 5:27 pm #

my favorite gig posters are from my friends band That Damn Sasquatch, they’re always in different colors and bigfoot is def lurking somewhere in the art haha. they play bluegrass mostly and are definetely cool dudes

2. Laura 02/24/2010 at 5:38 pm #

You would be remiss if you didn’t mention the famous Hatch Show Print in my hometown of Nashville. I am also a big fan of The Small Stakes–beautiful minimalist posters. That Dandy Warhols print is beautiful!

3. Catherine 02/24/2010 at 6:17 pm #

I love gig posters! I have a She & Him one designed by the small stakes (they have awesome posters by the way) with one male sillouete over a female sillouette. It’s very simple, but so cute! It reminds me of the dandy warhols print with the three colors used. Here’s the link if you want to see…

4. Maya 02/24/2010 at 6:45 pm #

I have my 2007 DMB Australian Tour poster framed and over my faux fireplace. It’s of a crocodile eating the band members and it cost me way too much to frame it but it looks so awesome that I don’t care :D

5. Kiersten 02/24/2010 at 6:59 pm #

i would love to design band posters for a living.

i could spend hours on gigposters.com

6. Alicia 02/24/2010 at 9:16 pm #

Buffalo has a great design team: Hero. They’re at http://www.heroandsound.com

Gorgeous, gorgeous screenprinted band posters!

7. Mabel and Zora 02/24/2010 at 9:59 pm #

Wow! I really like this poster. It looks alive.

8. Katie 02/25/2010 at 7:04 am #

I just keep staring at that Dandy Warhols poster! I love the colors.

I have a Band of Horses one from gigposters.com that’s probably my favorite one ever. I could spend hours on that site, too!

9. Natalie B. (ModCloth) 02/25/2010 at 9:17 am #

Catherine – I love that She & Him poster! The Tiffany’s blue background and profile silhouettes are gorgeous.

And thanks for that link, Alicia! They do have some great posters. I really like the Queens of the Stone Age one! And all their greeting cards are super cute, too. :)

I’ll definitely have to check out The Small Stakes. Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!

10. Allison 02/25/2010 at 12:20 pm #

Thanks so so much for featuring me and my Dandy Warhols poster Natalie!

I’m super in love with printing and design, and I hope it shows in my posters and art prints. I love it that there are so many others out there too who share the passion.

Getting to do this stuff for a living is really a dream come true for me. Cheers all!

11. Jessica M. 02/25/2010 at 12:56 pm #

I keep gig posters and I also read comic books and get the little min ads for upcoming books and events and such…my plan is to use them all to découpage drawer fronts on a set of old dressers I got from a friend when she moved.

12. Alex 02/25/2010 at 4:20 pm #

another site, with some awesome Gig Posters, Aesthetic Apparatus: http://bit.ly/bIeLBu

13. Elizabeth 02/25/2010 at 7:22 pm #

I’ve always thought jesse ledoux had some of the best posters out there though, artistically speaking of course, and also because he’s covered some really great bands…

14. c_tyler 02/26/2010 at 3:12 pm #

If you’re a gig poster junkie / designer like me, you have to check out Aesthetic Apparatus out of MN. They have done posters for so many bands – some of my personal favorites being The Decemberists. I have their poster from the Charlottesville Phish show (on my birthday!!!!) hanging up – that image makes me smile. Also, a great place to pick up gig posters would be festivals – like Bonnaroo, where I got my favorite Lucinda Williams poster (a great sort of day of the dead image). Rock on kids!

15. Tara 03/03/2010 at 12:36 pm #

I have this framed over my record player. I bought it from the artist along with a Decemberists one for my friend at CMJ 2007.