Obsolete Fashion: OMG, Look at Her Bum Roll

Turns out, modern day clothing “enhancers” (such as the Booty Pop) are not all that new! Bum rolls were plump, crescent shaped pillows worn by middle and upper class ladies during the Elizabethan era. These 16th and 17th-century women “styled” them over (sometimes up to three) petticoats, underneath an additional petticoat and a skirt, and wore them in conjunction with an elaborate steel corset. In addition to spreading the skirt evenly, the rolls gave the appearance of wider hips, an on-trend look of the time!

Let us know what you think! Cast your vote, and/or leave a comment below!

<br /> <a href=”http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/2817631/” mce_href=”http://answers.polldaddy.com/poll/2817631/”>Bum roll, please…</a><br /> <span style=”font:9px;” mce_style=”font:9px;”>(<a href=”http://www.polldaddy.com” mce_href=”http://www.polldaddy.com”>polls</a>)</span><br />

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, , , ,

0 Responses to Obsolete Fashion: OMG, Look at Her Bum Roll

1. Katharine 03/09/2010 at 3:12 pm #

oh, COME ON people! Bring the bum roll back! when you take it off at the end of the day, you feel that much better about yourself because your bum *isn’t* that big!

Don’t you wish you could say the same about taking the gel-inserts out of your bra??? ; )

2. Emily 03/09/2010 at 3:54 pm #

Sadly, my bum IS that big. Haha.

3. Natalie B. (ModCloth) 03/09/2010 at 4:00 pm #

J. Lo has nothin’ on bum rolls! But that does not mean they should come back…

4. Sophie 03/09/2010 at 4:46 pm #

ahahaha! I just literally LOL’d
    My bum doesn’t need the help, though! Fashion is so hilarious.

5. Maya 03/09/2010 at 5:06 pm #

I kind of do want a bum roll but only if i get the petticoat. I mean you couldn’t just bring back the bumroll with jeans….. or could you?

6. Jennifer (ModCloth) 03/09/2010 at 5:09 pm #

Maya, that is an excellent point! I hadn’t even thought about that. Without a skirt, it would kind of look like a fanny pack.

7. RachelC 03/09/2010 at 5:18 pm #

Maybe if everyone had big bums, no one would know the true size of anyone’s! We’d all be equal, lol!

8. Erin 03/09/2010 at 7:24 pm #

Speaking of Elizabethan fashion, someone should bring back the French farthingale. No longer would we have to worry about crowded bars and no tables- we could just set our cocktails on our skirts! Oh the possibilities…

9. Keaven Willa 03/09/2010 at 8:13 pm #

I laughed so hard, and then showed this to my Dad, and he laughed so hard, and asked me to forward it to some people… It’s so hilarious. Just the name. Booty Pop. It sounds like a bad candy…

10. hannah 03/09/2010 at 8:34 pm #

bums can never be too big as far as I’m concerned. BRING IT BACK!

11. Catherine 03/09/2010 at 11:32 pm #

In the words of sir mix alot…

I like big butts and I can not lie
    You other brothers can’t deny
    That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
    And a round thing in your face

Sorry, I couldn’t resist

12. Nat 03/10/2010 at 2:23 am #

I’m fine with the Booty Pop. The bum roll reminds me of Cinderella’s evil stepsisters.

13. Katie 03/10/2010 at 7:29 am #

I am actually wearing my Booty Pop right now. And it’s poppin’ like whoa. In fact, a guy just said, “Girl, you look good! Won’t you back that Booty Pop up!” I guess they’re on to me…

14. Sydney 03/10/2010 at 11:19 pm #

I think it looks “ass”-inine.

Pun intended.

15. Veronica 03/11/2010 at 2:31 am #

I don’t need that bum roll. my butt already does that!

16. Nina 03/11/2010 at 9:15 am #

All the girls in the cast for my university’s production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream have to wear bum rolls. It definitely takes a certain body type to pull them off (one that I definitely don’t have!).

The only thing I really enjoy about them is that they make a good elbow rest, haha. :)

17. Sarita 03/11/2010 at 11:47 am #

Love it!

18. Missy 03/12/2010 at 4:50 pm #

I like it, although I have a big rump as it is….I think a more subtle take on it would be cute as architectural features are very in….strong shoulders are back and I’m finding a subtle shoulder pad is the way to go so why not a subtle rump bump! it will make the waist look smaller too!

19. Laurie 03/15/2010 at 5:32 pm #

trust me. i’ve worn the ‘Booty Pop’ or ‘Bum roll’ for reenacting. keep it in the past.